Around the League: Week 4 11/16-11/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Sunsfan4life

Re: Around the League: Week 4 11/16-11/22

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Bold Prediction: Suns will hand the Warriors their first loss next week. If the beat the Bulls tom night, they'll come in here unbeaten and they play a style a ball that we can hang with them. Seems pretty far fetched right now...but I'm calling it right now. Warriors come in here 16-0 and we get em.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Now, I don't feel so bad. The Warriors fans easily outpowered the Clippers fans in their own building.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Superbone wrote:Now, I don't feel so bad. The Warriors fans easily outpowered the Clippers fans in their own building.
yeah i noticed that too haha... damn. clippers' summer moves didn't really net them anything. they are still the second round playoff team that they were last year.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Bold Prediction: Suns will hand the Warriors their first loss next week. If the beat the Bulls tom night, they'll come in here unbeaten and they play a style a ball that we can hang with them. Seems pretty far fetched right now...but I'm calling it right now. Warriors come in here 16-0 and we get em.
I think we match up horribly with the Warriors and will get destroyed by them. But I'd love it if you were right. :-)

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I have been watching the NBA for over 40 years and I have to say, with apologies to Larry Bird, Jerry West, Reggie Miller, Ray Allen and Steve Nash, that Stephen Curry is the best pure shooter I've ever seen. You just never think the guy is going to miss.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:I have been watching the NBA for over 40 years and I have to say, with apologies to Larry Bird, Jerry West, Reggie Miller, Ray Allen and Steve Nash, that Stephen Curry is the best pure shooter I've ever seen. You just never think the guy is going to miss.
\

I never watched Bird or West in their primes, unfortunately.

Side note: I was rushing through EWR 3 weeks ago and nearly ran right into The Logo. He was in the security line and I was in a group of people pushing past him. I was so bummed I couldn't stop and say something at least. I am sure he was happy about it. I am sure he is mobbed all the time.

As far as Reggie, I never thought of him as a pure shooter. I thought of him as a guy that made amazing shots.

Ray Allen is a guy that I used to think of as a pure shooter, but some how he lost that luster in my mind after Nash returned to Phoenix. Nash just did so many amazing things that he changed what I thought of as a pure shooter. That is exactly what Curry is doing, and if he is still doing it in 5-7 years, there is no question who the best pure shooter is/was.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

There have always been guys with great range who were were streak shooters - like Pete Maravich - but I think Miller was sort of in between.

Then you have the guys like Walter Davis who were pretty much automatic from mid-range. He shot 56% as a perimeter guy when he game into the league!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:There have always been guys with great range who were were streak shooters - like Pete Maravich - but I think Miller was sort of in between.

Then you have the guys like Walter Davis who were pretty much automatic from mid-range. He shot 56% as a perimeter guy when he game into the league!
TJ is at 53% and it seems most of his shots are floaters. I love it.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:There have always been guys with great range who were were streak shooters - like Pete Maravich - but I think Miller was sort of in between.

And Booker is presently 7-9 from three for his career. He comes in cold and nails threes.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Indy wrote:

And Booker is presently 7-9 from three for his career. He comes in cold and nails threes.
That sounds great, but it is 9 attempts. At least with TJ we are into the hundreds.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Indy wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Indy wrote:

That sounds great, but it is 9 attempts. At least with TJ we are into the hundreds.
True. But I wasn't throwing that out there as a comparison between the two. Just an optimistic comment about both.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Indy wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Indy wrote:

True. But I wasn't throwing that out there as a comparison between the two. Just an optimistic comment about both.
Totally agree with that. If these trends continue, I will be very happy.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

The Bobster wrote:I have been watching the NBA for over 40 years and I have to say, with apologies to Larry Bird, Jerry West, Reggie Miller, Ray Allen and Steve Nash, that Stephen Curry is the best pure shooter I've ever seen. You just never think the guy is going to miss.

I won't tell you how long I've been watching the NBA, because some of you will get the uncontrollable giggles.

Anyway, one of the best pure shooters I saw was Dave Bing with the Pistons. Walter Davis was a close second. And Curry is all of that, with more range. Barring injury, he will be top 20 or so of all time.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I can barely remember Bing from when he was at the tail end of his career as a Bullet and Celtic (well, and as a Mayor), but at that time shooting it from 25' was frowned upon unless you were a guy like Fred Brown or Maravich. And you'd better be hot if you were shooting a 25' 2-pointer.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... Karl-Fired

What's worse than your boss picking out your successor publicly before he fires you? ITS A GIRL!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ranadive seems like a star f**ker. Check out his twitter...just photos of him and celebs (or what are deemed "celebs"). Sacramento's a mess.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Ranadive is a joke. Just when you thought they couldn't find a worse owner for the Kings....

Indy

Post by Indy »

JCSunsfan wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... Karl-Fired

What's worse than your boss picking out your successor publicly before he fires you? ITS A GIRL!
???

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JCSunsfan wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... Karl-Fired

That "article" is very short and doesn't state any sources and is entirely speculative. I agree that the Kings are a mess and Vivek seems confused about how to own an NBA team, but I don't think there is much substance to this particular link.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Rookie owner disease. Do you know sometimes it becomes chronical?