Suns News: Week 5 11/23-11/29

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JCSunsfan

Re: Suns News: Week 5 11/23-11/29

Post by JCSunsfan »

Cap wrote:Is TJ's three-point shooting for real? 9-20 is too small a sample to get excited about the .450 percentage, but he looks comfortable with it. What's your over/under for his 3p% on the season?
It looks ok. He is selective, but that is fine. His overall game is very effective. He still spaces the floor because he always finds an open spot and is available to receive a pass from the driving (or shooting ball handler).

mjwang92

Post by mjwang92 »

It's time for Hornacek to make some line up changes for sure, otherwise it's time for a coaching change. There's not much to be excited about right now when watching this team. The defense SHOULD be better than what it is, improve the defense and the offense will flow better...

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Im hoping the 28 point game from TJ was a wake up call for small shake up of our front court. What's the harm we are losing anyway

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

But PJ Tucker brings so much grit to our starting lineup. We need that grit. Without grit, I don't know if we can win games. Grit ball!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

TOO

Post by TOO »

AmareIsGod wrote:But PJ Tucker brings so much grit to our starting lineup. We need that grit. Without grit, I don't know if we can win games. Grit ball!
Quality. :lol:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hear PJ Tucker eats grits for breakfast.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I'm sick of PJ too, but you have to admit that nobody on the team fights on the glass more than he does ( except Bledsoe at times), including our high-priced FA acquisition.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

When i think of our play lately I think of a word that rhymes with grit

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Danimal wrote:When i think of our play lately I think of a word that rhymes with grit
Legit? Exquisite? They won't quit? Exhibit... A of how to be an awesome team?

OE32

Post by OE32 »

“We’ll try to figure out who those five best defenders are and those will be the guys who are going to be out there for us,” Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said when asked if starting T.J. Warren was a possibility after his career-high 28-point game Friday.
I'm done with this guy.

Cap

Post by Cap »

We’ll try to figure out who those five best defenders are and those will be the guys who are going to be out there for us,” Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said when asked if starting T.J. Warren was a possibility after his career-high 28-point game.
Then why is Keef starting ahead of Leuer?

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Cap wrote:
We’ll try to figure out who those five best defenders are and those will be the guys who are going to be out there for us,” Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said when asked if starting T.J. Warren was a possibility after his career-high 28-point game.
Then why is Keef starting ahead of Leuer?
And why does Mirza get all of Len's PT? And if we care so much about D, surely we must realize that our biggest problem is turnovers, which lead to fast break points. TJ makes smart passes and reduces team turnovers by giving us a high percentage scoring option.

Keef and Hornacek need to go. TJ needs to start, and Alex needs to play.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I have always liked Hornacek ever since going to rookie camp in 1986 and watching him play.

However, he may be in over his head as head coach with this team. At the very least you have to admit controlling his players and getting his teams to execute at crunch time are obvious shortcomings.

We were all surprised by how well the team played his first year as coach, but then it could just be a case of everyone underestimating their talent level (because they've been a pretty average team overall in his tenure here - no better, no worse).

And being average every year is about the worst place you can be in the NBA.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:I have always liked Hornacek ever since going to rookie camp in 1986 and watching him play.

However, he may be in over his head as head coach with this team. At the very least you have to admit controlling his players and getting his teams to execute at crunch time are obvious shortcomings.

We were all surprised by how well the team played his first year as coach, but then it could just be a case of everyone underestimating their talent level (because they've been a pretty average team overall in his tenure here - no better, no worse).

A very balanced take.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Our coach used to make me feel good and Horny. Now I just feel flaccid.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

OE32 wrote: And if we care so much about D, surely we must realize that our biggest problem is turnovers, which lead to fast break points. TJ makes smart passes and reduces team turnovers by giving us a high percentage scoring option.
Not to mention, TJ bails out our guards by moving to spots where they can get rid of the ball when they dive to the basket.

To back up my point:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/t ... s-per-game
https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/o ... s-per-game

Pretty damning, IMO.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Mori Chu wrote:Our coach used to make me feel good and Horny. Now I just feel flaccid.
Getting old sucks. :(

EDC

Post by EDC »

My favorite PJ play is when Kieff starts with the ball at the top of the key. Then PJ tries to post up and Kieff throws him a bad pass for an easy turnover.

Then they both turn and yell at the refs while the other team plays 5v3.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:I have always liked Hornacek ever since going to rookie camp in 1986 and watching him play.

Good take. My patience is wearing thin.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."