NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by O_Gardino »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:28 pm
Did anyone see that tweet about total Analytics employees for each organization? We had 2 total. Tied for 2nd to last in the league. That's in addition to our scouting department being razed.

No analytics. Limited scouting. No G-league for player development. Multiple assistants laid off.

We're close to making decisions on James Jones' "gut." Dangerous stuff.
Dunno why you would need a big team. Good tools and good math don't need a ton of people.

If I wanted to exaggerate the size of the analytics staff, I would include the IT staff who support the analytics tools, the manager, and maybe the video people who create the video that backs up the analytics. But I doubt many team have more than 2-4 people actually doing math.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:40 pm
I wonder if Monty had to pay Payne's contract, too. LOL.
Of course not!!!
I’m pretty sure Monty it’s just paying Payne’s flight tickets and his Orlando room... well, mostly sure...

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:06 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:47 pm

Because you're not sold on Ayton?
That last part is my biggest fear. I am just worried that Ayton is going to break all of our hearts by fumbling a pass or missing something because he tried to avoid contact.
I get that, but it is almost self-defeating to devote your best assets to an Ayton-fails contingency plan.

Overall, I do agree the backup 5 spot is important. I really want Goga Bitadze for that role though.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:08 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:06 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:47 pm

Because you're not sold on Ayton?
That last part is my biggest fear. I am just worried that Ayton is going to break all of our hearts by fumbling a pass or missing something because he tried to avoid contact.
I get that, but it is almost self-defeating to devote your best assets to an Ayton-fails contingency plan.

Overall, I do agree the backup 5 spot is important. I really want Goga Bitadze for that role though.
That's a name I've never seen. Who he play for?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indiana.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:49 pm
Indiana.
First I thought you meant college. Just looked up his stats. What is it you like about him? Are the Pacers not high on him?

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:52 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:49 pm
Indiana.
First I thought you meant college. Just looked up his stats. What is it you like about him? Are the Pacers not high on him?
No, from what I read the Pacers like him. But he is a rookie that plays behind Myles Turner and Domantas Sabonis.

He is well-rounded player. He has 3-point range, can score with his back to the basket, rebound, block shots, fairly mobile.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I know Goga has had some nice moments this season, but the Suns game was the first time I really watched him and I wasn't impressed.

He does have the size and shooting combo that's coveted, so maybe he'll become more consistent in the future.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I really liked him as a prospect in last year's draft, so I lot of my interest stems from what I saw then. In the little he has played this season, I haven't seen anything that makes me rethink my initial evaluation.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I was really impressed with Bitadze the other night. He made some nice shots including at least one 3, and he just seemed to be active and in the right place. Seemed like a promising young big. Wouldn't mind having him here.

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I get the sense that going after a relative unknown like Bitadze is like 10 levels beyond anything this front office is capable of doing.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:03 pm
I was really impressed with Bitadze the other night. He made some nice shots including at least one 3, and he just seemed to be active and in the right place. Seemed like a promising young big. Wouldn't mind having him here.

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I get the sense that going after a relative unknown like Bitadze is like 10 levels beyond anything this front office is capable of doing.
Oh, ok. Now I remember the guy. I didn't know who he was and he came in and hit a 3.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:03 pm

Idk, they did (in many people's minds) reach on Cam Johnson.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Bower had a connection with him going back a few years.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We also just only scouted guys on Final Four teams...Jarrett Culver at Texas Tech, DeAndre Hunter/Ty Jerome at Virginia, and Cam Johnson/Coby White at UNC

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Such an interesting offseason upcoming. If we think Cam Payne is the answer at backup PG, what do we still need? Let's say we keep Dario on a reasonable deal.

I feel like we need another shooter/creator in the backcourt and another big who can play as Ayton's backup and occasionally alongside him - to give us lineup optionality. Maybe we go after Okongwu in the draft and make a big run at Bogdan? Can we create the cap scace to do something like that? What if we traded Kelly to Portland for a package that includes Zach Collins and Anfernee Simons? The Lauri/Sato package?

So many directions we can go.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:11 pm
Such an interesting offseason upcoming.
It definitely has a lot of potential.
Shabazz wrote:
If we think Cam Payne is the answer at backup PG, what do we still need? Let's say we keep Dario on a reasonable deal.

I feel like we need another shooter/creator in the backcourt and another big who can play as Ayton's backup and occasionally alongside him - to give us lineup optionality.
Bingo. We also need some insurance in case Cam Payne pulls an Isaiah Canaan.
Shabazz wrote:
What if we traded Kelly to Portland for a package that includes Zach Collins and Anfernee Simons?
That would be terrible. Simons is solid and improving, and Collins has theoretical value, but neither reach the value of Oubre.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Barring a huge move, we have 6 pretty locked in core rotation guys(Booker, Ayton, Bridges, Oubre, Cam, Rubio) I feel like Cam Payne won the backup pg job and we’d be crazy not to exercise his team option. So that’s 7. I like what Saric did as the backup big off the bench. I’m cool with him being the primary backup to Ayton and getting a few minutes alongside him at the 4.

That’s 8 legitimate guys. I’d assume we’ll play 9 or 10 regularly during the season, so we probably need 1 or 2 more rotation guys and need injury insurance. For now I’ll give Lecque and Jerome roster spots 15 and 14. Though I’d be cool moving Jerome. I’m gonna call Carter either #10 or #11 as I’d like to bring him back. If we draft a guard at 10, I’d hope he’s the one fighting with Carter. So in free agency, we need that 9th guy. Then 12th and 13th.

1. Booker
2. Ayton
3. Bridges
4. Oubre
5. Cam
6. Rubio
7. Saric
8. Payne
9. FA
10. Cárter
11. 10th pick
12. FA
13. FA
14. Jerome
15. Lecque

Now if we can find someone for the money we have in free agency to leapfrog Saric/Payne in the pecking order, I’m all in. Not sure we’re going to have much money though. Not if we resign Saric. There is of course the option of chasing bigger fish(Wood, Grant, Gallo, Millsap) and letting Saric walk.

Personally I loved this bubble team, I’d run it back, add Oubre, #10 pick, and a mid levelish FA, plus a couple vet min contracts for depth. Those additions, plus continuity, chemistry, Monty, and natural progression of our youth should move us forward.

Of course if Giannis becomes available, you do that, haha.(I’m speaking that into existence for what Milwaukee did)

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

You could probably get two good players for Oubre and move Rubio for cap space and add two more good players.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
make a big run at Bogdan
Kings will match any offer.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:47 pm
You could probably get two good players for Oubre and move Rubio for cap space and add two more good players.
Probably so, that seems like a little much for James Jones though. I like Oubre and want him to stay, but he does seem like the most likely core piece to be moved. He wasn’t part of the bubble success on the court, he’s only under contract for a year, and he might be looking for a pay day.

I’m less attached to Rubio, though I thought he had a really good season for us. I think James Jones is less likely to move him though. We’d need a clear plan to replace him if we did.