NBA Playoffs 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: NBA Playoffs 2020

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:56 am
I've cooled on Butler a lot the last couple of years and I don't think he's a "superstar" per se in terms of production or marketability. He's obviously an extremely good player and he and the Heat are the perfect match. But the Heat operate as a team, well coached and have their system. The Lakers have their stars. That's not to diminish them, it's just a contrast in styles and reminds me of the Lakers-Pistons Finals back in 2004. The "stars" vs the "team".
Yeah, they had Shaq/Kobe, but the rest of the team wasn't so much stars, as former stars. 35 year old Gary Payton playing 35 mpg in the playoffs? 40 year old Karl Malone playing 28 mpg in the playoffs? They even played Shaq and Kobe both over 40 minutes a game (Kobe was over 44 mpg).

Yep, Lebron is old too. But he is Lebron. And only Lebron and AD are playing over 30 minutes a game.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Well maybe not "stars, but "names"...LeBron and AD and then Rondo, JR Smith, Markieff. The Pistons, like the Heat, have a collection of very good players who play well together within a system where any guy can be "the guy" that night.

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

I think the Heat’s depth is being overrated. Their starting 5 + Herro are well rounded but they don’t go much deeper than that. The Lakers are also the best team the Heat have faced. I could see a world where Miami takes it but my prediction is Lakers in 5.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think their depth is fine with guys like Nunn, Leonard, DJJ, Olynyk, Crowder and Iggy. Even Solomon Hill is a decent enough vet to throw out there.

Split T

Post by Split T »

BookTheGoat wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:55 am
I think the Heat’s depth is being overrated. Their starting 5 + Herro are well rounded but they don’t go much deeper than that. The Lakers are also the best team the Heat have faced. I could see a world where Miami takes it but my prediction is Lakers in 5.
They go 7 deep with playoff worthy guys. I’d add Iggy to your list. Olynyk is playable as well for some offense.

And I’m not sure the Lakers are the best team they’ve faced. Milwaukee was the best team this season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:27 am
BookTheGoat wrote:
They go 7 deep with playoff worthy guys. I’d add Iggy to your list. Olynyk is playable as well for some offense.

And I’m not sure the Lakers are the best team they’ve faced. Milwaukee was the best team this season.
Giannis was hurt in 3 out of 5 games (and the one game he really aggravated it and could only play a few minutes, the Bucks won). I would still say the Lakers are much better than the Bucks team they played.

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

Split T wrote:
BookTheGoat wrote:

Well, if you’re basing it off the rest of the season then there’s no argument for Miami being the best team the Lakers have faced. Iggy is fine he’ll have some WIDE open shots because nobody respects it if he hits those it can really help and obviously his defense is good. Nobody is afraid of Kelly O.

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:14 am
I think their depth is fine with guys like Nunn, Leonard, DJJ, Olynyk, Crowder and Iggy. Even Solomon Hill is a decent enough vet to throw out there.
If you’re putting Nunn, Leonard, DJJ, Olynyk, or Solomon Hill out there in the finals and you lack the top end talent of the other team then I have some bad news for you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

BookTheGoat wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:43 am
Split T wrote:
BookTheGoat wrote:

Well, if you’re basing it off the rest of the season then there’s no argument for Miami being the best team the Lakers have faced. Iggy is fine he’ll have some WIDE open shots because nobody respects it if he hits those it can really help and obviously his defense is good. Nobody is afraid of Kelly O.
Sure that’s fair. I’m fine saying the Lakers are the best team the heat have played in the bubble, but I’d say the heat opponents were better than the Lakers opponents.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:19 pm
BookTheGoat wrote:
Split T wrote:
BookTheGoat wrote:

Sure that’s fair. I’m fine saying the Lakers are the best team the heat have played in the bubble, but I’d say the heat opponents were better than the Lakers opponents.
I'd take Portland over the Pacers every single day. When it comes to Milwaukee with a gimpy Giannis vs Houston with a gimpy Westbrook, I think it is close. Same with Boston and the Nuggets. I don't think the case is as simple as you make it out to be.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The biggest advantage that Miami has is that if any coach knows how to beat LeBron, it's probably Spoelstra. Also, Miami wasn't taxed like any of their previous opponents were. That being said, I still think that the Lakers win this series, even though I'm going for the Heat. If the Heat win, I could see a lot of teams trying to replicate their formula, including the Suns, which are pretty close to it, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:25 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:19 pm
BookTheGoat wrote:
Split T wrote:
BookTheGoat wrote:

I'd take Portland over the Pacers every single day. When it comes to Milwaukee with a gimpy Giannis vs Houston with a gimpy Westbrook, I think it is close. Same with Boston and the Nuggets. I don't think the case is as simple as you make it out to be.
Was meaning Milwaukee and Boston. I’d take both those teams over Houston or Denver.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I can see Denver beating the Celtics, but agree that a fully healthy Bucks team should beat both.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Game one has started exactly how I thought this series would look.

I think the Lakers are in real trouble once Robinson and Herro shake off the nerves. Although Crowder has picked up the shooting slack for them.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Looked great for the Heat as they took a 13 pt lead and then the Lakers finished the Q on a 21-5 run. KCP hitting 3’s and AD doing some damage against the small guys.

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:36 pm

I think the Lakers are in real trouble once Robinson and Herro shake off the nerves. Although Crowder has picked up the shooting slack for them.
This aged like milk

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

:lol:

No doubt. It was right after that the Lakers went on a huge run and Butler picked up an injury a quarter later.

Not to mention Bam and Goran.

This one is over and I'm probably not watching basketball again until at least January.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:14 am
That's probably the first time I read Solomon Hill and decent in the same sentence.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Oh, really?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BookTheGoat wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:52 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

This aged like milk
:lol:
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."