Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:51 pm
So your argument is that it would be better to work really hard to take threes than work less hard and make the same amount?
EXACTLY what I said. NOT!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think I can make a call on it. There's bias with seeing what Paul's done up close and the impact he's had. But I also see how Randle's played in New York and is carrying that team. He and Paul both have great cases for MVP, as do Monty and Thibs for COY. Jokic, Embiid, Giannis all deserve votes too.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Paul has had a great season and impact on this team. But I don't know how he could be considered the MVP when he isn't even the best player on the team. People debate what constitutes an MVP, but I think almost everybody needs their MVP to be the best guy on a team with a top record.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Can't have an MVP conversation in earnest until the criteria are clearly defined and aligned across voters. It's like the ASG with the moving goal posts for Booker every year. To this day I have friends say no way Nash deserved either of those MVPs because he didn't play D, who promote Jokic over Embiid this year.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It’s right in the name, guys. Most VALUABLE player. Not necessarily the best player. Nash absolutely deserved it. Those Suns teams couldn’t have done what they did without him. Same for this Suns team without Paul.

"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Valuable can mean something different to different people too... for the record I also have no complaints to Nash winning those MVPs. He made everyone around him substantially better.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The 7SOL Suns fucking saved the NBA and no one outside of Phoenix remembers that.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The nba is purposefully vague on what valuable means. They want these debates to happen.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:08 pm
The 7SOL Suns fucking saved the NBA and no one outside of Phoenix remembers that.
True...Simmons and Russillo talked about their favorite players to watch since Jordan retired and both had Curry and Nash on their list. It made me realize that those two are probably the two biggest influences on the game over the last 20 years. Yes, moreso than LeBron. LeBron wasn’t really anything new, just a better version of prototypes before him. Nash and the Suns brought us out of the slow it down, iso-driven, Kobe-AI, post Jordan slog. Made basketball fun. Curry and the Warriors took that to the next level.

I think we might be entering another phase with highly skilled bigs...we’ve seen an influx of them over the last 5+ years.

pickle

Post by pickle »

LeBron's impact is more off the court than on. On the court, absolutely Nash and Curry made a bigger difference.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya just meant on the court and style of play. LeBron has fostered a lot of the player empowerment stuff.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Without Nash and MikeD, NBA offenses probably don't look like they do today. Curry and the Ws proved you could win with that kind of style, but they probably don't even get a chance to play that way without the 7SOL teams.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I love love love Steve Nash, but I think it's a stretch to place him above Lebron James in just about any way. Lebron has been arguably the greatest NBA player of all time, though I'd put him 2nd or 3rd behind Jordan and maybe Russell. Lebron has led 3 different franchises to NBA titles and is climbing many lists records like career points, assists, rebounds, steals, games, minutes, etc. His impact on the game, on and off the court, has been huge. He's changed the way players manage their bodies, their careers, and their free agency decisions. He's impacted front offices and the way teams are built. He has had a massive impact on the NBA. Yes, Nash helped bring in the era of pace-and-space, but I just don't think you can say that his impact on the league was greater than that of Lebron James.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:35 am
I love love love Steve Nash, but I think it's a stretch to place him above Lebron James in just about any way. Lebron has been arguably the greatest NBA player of all time, though I'd put him 2nd or 3rd behind Jordan and maybe Russell. Lebron has led 3 different franchises to NBA titles and is climbing many lists records like career points, assists, rebounds, steals, games, minutes, etc. His impact on the game, on and off the court, has been huge. He's changed the way players manage their bodies, their careers, and their free agency decisions. He's impacted front offices and the way teams are built. He has had a massive impact on the NBA. Yes, Nash helped bring in the era of pace-and-space, but I just don't think you can say that his impact on the league was greater than that of Lebron James.
This is what I’m saying. Nash changed how the game was played on the court more than anyone in the last 20 years. I don’t disagree about anything else you said.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow, a Saucy favorite, Mike James playing for the Nets tonight.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Portland has fallen into the play-in

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

Split T wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:11 pm
I think they've been a little bit of a mirage all year long. They spent a bunch of time hovering around 10 games above .500, despite having a slight negative point differential most of the year. Most of the time, that kind of thing ultimately isn't sustainable, and they've come back to earth despite getting more of their team back on the floor.

McCollum has looked fine post-injury. Nurkic seems like a shell of his former self.

Split T

Post by Split T »

BKinSJC wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:49 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:11 pm
I think they've been a little bit of a mirage all year long. They spent a bunch of time hovering around 10 games above .500, despite having a slight negative point differential most of the year. Most of the time, that kind of thing ultimately isn't sustainable, and they've come back to earth despite getting more of their team back on the floor.

McCollum has looked fine post-injury. Nurkic seems like a shell of his former self.
I know people are worried about Lillard, but I’m starting to think they’d be the most ideal first round matchup. Been a paper Tiger all year...and you’re right, the paper is starting to show.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)