NBA News: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: NBA News: Offseason

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Which makes that draft pick we gave up that everybody was pining for not such a big deal.
Bone, I love you, but that is just BS.
Indy loves me! :D

All I'm saying is that it's going to turn into a mid round draft pick rather than a very high lottery pick. Nothing to cry about.
Yeah, we're talking a Booker/Warren type of pick, not a Len.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. :roll:
Actually, it is.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Jamal Crawford reportedly planning o leaving the Clippers. Reason? Because they offered him less then they offered Doc's kid Austin Rivers. He's furious about it.

He would be a nice pickup as a gunner off the bench for a contender.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

As for the clippers, I'm not sure why they think a core of Jordon/Griffin/Paul without any major additions is going to get it done now when they haven't in the past. They had no realistic shot at Durant IMO, with their lets team up to be a "BIG 4" and you can take less money too, theory. Props to Chris Broussard as well, who said the Clipps "blew Durant away" only to see them as the 1st team eliminated. haha. Man he is awful.

Anyways, They are just waisting Paul. They are essentially bringing back the same team as last yr, maybe even worse if they lost Crawford. I'd explore a major trade if I were them.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Agreed. They just spent $18 million/yr on Wesley Johnson and Austin Rivers. Neither deal is terrible (Johnson's is actually really good) but you couldn't take that $18 million and found a player that would make a bigger impact?

And Jamal Crawford should be making more than Doc's kid. That is a bad look.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

O_Gardino wrote:
Magic didn't even give him the QO.
right!?

It's not just the high spending. It's the high spending on guys who didn't even get the qualifying offer. Wow.
That's one of the best values of the offseason. Smart move by Washington.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/749482935980429312

I love this deal as well. Always liked James Ennis, and Memphis just brought him back for pennies.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/749651187570397184

Don't really understand this move. They have KAT, Dieng, Garnett, and Pekovic. Why bring in Aldrich? Not bad money though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Bone, I love you, but that is just BS.
Indy loves me! :D

All I'm saying is that it's going to turn into a mid round draft pick rather than a very high lottery pick. Nothing to cry about.
Yeah, we're talking a Booker/Warren type of pick, not a Len.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. :roll:
Actually, it is.
We'll see. I think you're wrong. But sure, go ahead and keep crying about it. It does a lot of good.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Excuse me Carey if already posted, but I don't remember having seem it..
I don't think Carey posted it but what I saw was this tweet from Coro giving his opinion.
You guys don't have to go overboard, lol. All I'm saying is use the search feature if you're not caught up in the thread or you're not sure. Or I can just chill out when things are posted a 2nd or 3rd time, I suppose there's no harm in that. It's just the internet. :lol:
The search feature doesn't work for tweets. I just tried a search for "Tolliver" and the last post came up in 2015.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote: The search feature doesn't work for tweets. I just tried a search for "Tolliver" and the last post came up in 2015.
That's why I usually write out a little something about it below the tweet, but occasionally I'm lazy and just copy & paste real quick.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/749482935980429312

I love this deal as well. Always liked James Ennis, and Memphis just brought him back for pennies.
Best bargain of the offseason so far, IMO. I'd so much rather pay Ennis $3M than Wesley Johnson $6M.

carey

Re: RE: Re: NBA News: Offseason

Post by carey »

carey wrote:
Hermen wrote: You're right. I think this is because he hasn't been in the league long enough, so teams are limited in what they can offer him in the first years (wasn't this also the case with Houston and Lin?). Is cap hit every year the same as the actual contract? I think I remember reading something about this where the cap hit is average salary per year if he is traded, but not otherwise. Or vice versa :D
Yes. The Gilbert Arenas rule. If he stayed with the Heat the cap hit would have been averaged out but with the Nets the hit is the hit I believe.
Actually, I had it backwards. The Nets get the averaged cap hit (12.5) and the Heat would get the (5, 5, stupid, stupid.) I apologize for the erroneous information.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Shabazz wrote: Best bargain of the offseason so far, IMO. I'd so much rather pay Ennis $3M than Wesley Johnson $6M.
Or Parsons $23M. That's the worst contract in the league by far if you ask me. Actually, Conley's ridiculous $30M/yr deal is the worst, but Parsons comes a close second.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

$16M is the new $9M. I get that. $10M is the new $6.5M. I get that too. What I don't get is players who would have been lucky to get $2M in the old climate getting 3 year, $24M contracts. There are still lots of highly skilled players who would be happy to take anywhere from an NBA minumum to $3M/year. There's an inefficiency there for GMs to exploit. Guys like Garret Temple and Andrew Nicholson are OK players, but no 4x better than the kind of player you can find on the NBA periphery.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Shabazz wrote:$16M is the new $9M. I get that. $10M is the new $6.5M. I get that too. What I don't get is players who would have been lucky to get $2M in the old climate getting 3 year, $24M contracts. There are still lots of highly skilled players who would be happy to take anywhere from an NBA minumum to $3M/year. There's an inefficiency there for GMs to exploit. Guys like Garret Temple and Andrew Nicholson are OK players, but no 4x better than the kind of player you can find on the NBA periphery.
I guess it's because everyone has cap space.

Hermen

Re: RE: Re: NBA News: Offseason

Post by Hermen »

carey wrote:
carey wrote:
Hermen wrote: You're right. I think this is because he hasn't been in the league long enough, so teams are limited in what they can offer him in the first years (wasn't this also the case with Houston and Lin?). Is cap hit every year the same as the actual contract? I think I remember reading something about this where the cap hit is average salary per year if he is traded, but not otherwise. Or vice versa :D
Yes. The Gilbert Arenas rule. If he stayed with the Heat the cap hit would have been averaged out but with the Nets the hit is the hit I believe.
Actually, I had it backwards. The Nets get the averaged cap hit (12.5) and the Heat would get the (5, 5, stupid, stupid.) I apologize for the erroneous information.
I forgive you :)

carey

Post by carey »

Shabazz wrote:$16M is the new $9M. I get that. $10M is the new $6.5M. I get that too. What I don't get is players who would have been lucky to get $2M in the old climate getting 3 year, $24M contracts. There are still lots of highly skilled players who would be happy to take anywhere from an NBA minumum to $3M/year. There's an inefficiency there for GMs to exploit. Guys like Garret Temple and Andrew Nicholson are OK players, but no 4x better than the kind of player you can find on the NBA periphery.
Speaking of which..

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/749695219755462657

Also, as % of cap $16M is the new $11.9M and $10M is the new $7.4M. But your larger point stands, too much money, not enough quality players so even O.k. guys are cashing in. I think the teams totally abstaining or making one small signing like the Suns are doing it right. Indiana, Orlando, Memphis... locking themselves into paying big money for 50 win squads that are going to get rolled by GSW, Cle, and SAS.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I remember when it was a big deal when Jeff Hornacek got one million a year as a player for the Suns after his all-star year.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

It was a big deal when Magic Johnson got a million-dollar salary in the 80's. He was the third player to receive a million-dollar contract, after Kareem and Moses.

carey

Post by carey »

A few more signings while I fell asleep for a bit.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/749730729483964416

Crawford back with the Clippers for 3/42.

https://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/749737523505729537

Seth Curry's QO was rescinded by the Kings.

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/749744897708568576

Nets signed Allen Crabbe for 4/70.

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/749740889703059456

Rondo to the Bulls for 2/28.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!