NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:48 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:11 pm
make a big run at Bogdan
Kings will match any offer.
Will they, though? After the Hield deal, and with Fox up for an extension, how much are they going to spend on a 3rd guard? They're paying Cory Joseph $13M and Harrison Barnes a shit-ton.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

They benched Buddy Hield for him. I think they make a cap move with Hield before they let Bogdan go. And I especially don't think they would let him go to a division rival.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

2 low price free agents I think would be good to round out our roster: Harry Giles and Alec Burks.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Burks is decent and would add some size to the backup guard rotation, which the Suns need. But I wouldn't commit more than the minimum to him. And his injury history is abysmal and he never seems to be able to shoot consistently.

I don't know how cheap Giles will be. He is still very young and has upside.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I didn't like Bogdan as a prospect, but he has proven to be a serious talent in the league.

I don't see how we have room for him. I don't like the thought of him or Booker being the primary ballhandler; both are better suited being the secondary ballhandler. Do you go ultra small in the frontcourt and start him and Bridges next to Ayton? I don't think that works. And I don't think Bogdan wants to come off the bench. Remember, he didn't want to come to Phoenix when he was drafted because of the guards already on the roster.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Just spitballing here.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

This roster is screaming for one of Millsap, Woods or Ibaka (in no particular order at this moment).

Bogdan is not a perfect fit and this is a key summer we can't afford to botch with redundancy or questionable roster composition. The only way I see Bogdan being a sensible target is if the Suns renounced to everybody, used their 25M in cap space to grab one of the PFs aforementioned and then agreed to a sign and trade with the Kings involving Oubre and filler, but that could be a lateral move that puts the chemistry in question.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think Sarver's gonna Sarver this offseason and keep spending to a minimum. If we can bring back Dario and/or Baynes plus Jevon on good deals with some other minimum types to replace Frank/Cheick/Okobo I'd be happy. I'm fine heading into next season with the group that played in the bubble.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

If Dario and Baynes are back on any relevant money, it needs to be for one or two years tops. Otherwise we are strangling ourselves for a roster with limited potential in the west. I'd rather try my hand at a difference maker PF this summer, but yeah, Sarver very well may go frugal with the excuse of an outstanding bubble.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I still wonder if Brooklyn sees a need for Dinwiddie when KD and Kyrie are back. I would so love to find a way to pull him away.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Dinwiddie's salary can be matched in a trade at draft night with Kaminsky and Jerome. BRY would need some draft asset, of course.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I don't understand to appeal of Dinwiddie.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:58 am
I still wonder if Brooklyn sees a need for Dinwiddie when KD and Kyrie are back. I would so love to find a way to pull him away.
If we could find a way to get Dinwiddie here without giving up a lot and then sign Christian Wood... that would be such a fantastic offseason.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

He is a starter quality, versatile guard on a cheap (although expiring) contract.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I was more on the Dinwiddie bandwagon before we got Rubio. He’s pretty much on the same level to me as Rubio. Dinwiddie has more as a scorer, Rubio the better passer. Dinwiddie still isn’t super efficient offensively though. He is cheaper and younger than Rubio. He does make sense as a 3rd guard who can play with both Book and Rubio.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:30 am
They benched Buddy Hield for him. I think they make a cap move with Hield before they let Bogdan go. And I especially don't think they would let him go to a division rival.
At least we got something good for him when we gave up his rights.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:08 am
He would immediately become our 2nd best guard, and arguably our 2nd best player. That is if you just added him and didn't subtract anyone.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:00 am
O_Gardino wrote:
He would immediately become our 2nd best guard, and arguably our 2nd best player. That is if you just added him and didn't subtract anyone.
Maybe 2nd best guard, he’s not better than Ayton, oubre, or Bridges imo.

Do we realize how poorly he shot this year? He put up 20/7 but on 41/31/77 splits. He gets to the ft line, but those are worse shooting splits than Rubio. Maybe it was him being asked to do too much, but his splits weren’t significantly better last year either.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Dinwiddie is versatile in that he's not terrible or great at anything. Going back a couple of years, he was an interesting up and comer, but I just don't see the growth. He's still not a good shooter, and he's not elite at anything.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:41 am
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:00 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Maybe 2nd best guard, he’s not better than Ayton, oubre, or Bridges imo.

Do we realize how poorly he shot this year? He put up 20/7 but on 41/31/77 splits. He gets to the ft line, but those are worse shooting splits than Rubio. Maybe it was him being asked to do too much, but his splits weren’t significantly better last year either.
His teammates that played the most games this year:

Jarrett Allen
Joe Harris
Taurean Waller-Prince
Garrett Temple

Players that missed most of the season
Kyrie
KD

He was basically the #1 option on that team all year (by far), while also trying to play PG 50% of the time. I am not worried about his FG% if he is 2nd or 3rd option. Also, he plays with more balls than most on our team.