2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JCSunsfan

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:But would you draft young over Ayton/Bagley when you already have a PG you like?
Yes. If he is clearly the best player in the draft.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I guess that's my question then, do you think young is clearly the best player in the draft? I like him, I'd be pretty happy to get him, but I don't view him as the best player in the draft

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I doubt we will draft high enough to get a guy like Trae Young. We are playing ourselves down into the 7-8 pick range.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I doubt we will draft high enough to get a guy like Trae Young. We are playing ourselves down into the 7-8 pick range.
Ya it's kinda looking that way. I think there will be a good player available though. Doncic, Ayton, Bagley, Young, Porter, Bamba, Sexton, Jackson, Carter, Bridges. We might be in the Sexton to Bridges range, but I think there's good prospects there. And if we're picking 8th because our young guys are progressing, I'd be all for it.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I don’t see our young guys progressing. Sorry, I just don’t. Even in our wins I’m not seeing development of Chriss, Bender or Jackson.

Booker is great.

Warren is what he is; a streaky scorer that goes invisible for a few games and sometimes within games and then will be on fire for a quarter. I think this is what we can expect from him as a player, a great 6th man.

I am not seeing any attempt at the development of Chriss, Bender or Jackson. I am just seeing them thrown out there without any direction.

For now I am hoping for losses. I do not see any benefit in winning games because of Troy Daniels hitting shots.

I’d much rather lose with Chriss and Bender and Jackson being fully involved in our offensive system than win with them being bystanders minus the occasional 3 or alley-oop and win because Warren and Daniels go off randomly. That does nothing for our development and only hurts our long term goals

Split T

Post by Split T »

Have you not seen Bender become a pretty consistent 3 pt threat? Have you not seen that Chriss is rebounding, defending, and passing at a higher level? We've started letting Jackson run a little pick and roll and I think he's got a lot of potential there. Len is definitely progressing. He's rebounding way better than he ever has and has recently started adding some very nice passing.

No one is progressing like Booker, but Booker is a very rare young player. I think you just need to give these 19 and 20 year olds some time. Rarely are 19 and 20 year olds good NBA players.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I expect much, much more from Bender than being a spot up 3 point shooter at 7 feet.

We’re not even trying to develop any other part of his game.

Marquese last 10 games rebounding: 13, 2, 3, 8, 4, 2, 3, 6, 8, 2. I wouldn’t call that impressive. And again, he has developed no offensive game and we’re not even trying to feed him except for dunks.

We can’t have our “core prospects” all suck at offense, and we’re not even trying to fix that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

You just need to give them time. They're 19 and 20 years old. Bender is basically a rookie. I wish they were further a long and I can't guarantee they will ever be good offensive players, but you've got to be patient.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:You just need to give them time. They're 19 and 20 years old. Bender is basically a rookie. I wish they were further a long and I can't guarantee they will ever be good offensive players, but you've got to be patient.
You’re not getting what I’m saying. Having them stand at the 3 point line and pass the ball to TJ Warren or Troy Daniels all game long except occasionally take an open 3 does nothing for their offensive development. They are not learning anything by doing that. We could wait til the end of time. Triano needs to run some offense through them and let them learn through their mistakes. Try to develop a post game or a pick and roll with Bender handling the ball, or let him learn to go at his man from the elbow like Dirk always did. Anything. Standing in the corner is not teaching them a damn thing and these wins are fools gold.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Fair point, I would like to see Chriss more involved setting picks. Len and Chandler get the ball on the roll all the time but our guards never like to use Chriss's picks. Chriss is getting a lot less shots at the rim. Bender has been driving more lately, but I would like to see him do it more. A lot of that is on Bender, he needs to be more aggressive. You haven't really mentioned Jackson, but we did let him run some pick and roll while Booker was out. I hope that continues.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Jackson gets his fair share of chances when he actually sees the court and Triano doesn’t ride Daniels and Warren. I think he’ll learn through them. I am mostly worried about Jackson’s shot and he really needs to spend the entire offseason trying to fix that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'm hoping Jackson has a similar trajectory that Ingram seems to be on. His rookie stats were 9/4/2 and shot .40/.29/.62 This year he's at 16/6/3 and shooting .45/.34/.67

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:I don’t see our young guys progressing. Sorry, I just don’t. Even in our wins I’m not seeing development of Chriss, Bender or Jackson.

Booker is great.

Warren is what he is; a streaky scorer that goes invisible for a few games and sometimes within games and then will be on fire for a quarter. I think this is what we can expect from him as a player, a great 6th man.

I am not seeing any attempt at the development of Chriss, Bender or Jackson. I am just seeing them thrown out there without any direction.

For now I am hoping for losses. I do not see any benefit in winning games because of Troy Daniels hitting shots.

I’d much rather lose with Chriss and Bender and Jackson being fully involved in our offensive system than win with them being bystanders minus the occasional 3 or alley-oop and win because Warren and Daniels go off randomly. That does nothing for our development and only hurts our long term goals
I agree that the youngs don't look good, and that it is hard to see much progress from them. But this stuff takes time. The young guys are still REALLY young. They should all still be playing in college. Look at Len and how many years he's had, and he's just barely starting to have his act together. I think it'll be a few more years before these guys really start to be who they're going to be.

I, for one, am seeing flashes from Bender that I really like. I love the things he's good at, and I think a lot of the things he's bad at are fixable and will get better as he gets lots of reps and minutes. I think he is good enough to be a rotation NBA player.

I would not say "he is who he is" about any of our players on the roster, save Chandler or Dudley. The rest of 'em are so young that almost anything is still possible.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I doubt we will draft high enough to get a guy like Trae Young. We are playing ourselves down into the 7-8 pick range.
We're pick 10 right now and probably playing just well enough to stay ahead of almost everyone behind us except maybe Chicago, who have hit form since Mitotic came back.
I think we need to temper our draft expectations to a high single figure pick, with the possibility of being 10-11. (We know the Suns aren't bucking the odds to go up in the order!)

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Gladiator wrote:
We're pick 10 right now and probably playing just well enough to stay ahead of almost everyone behind us except maybe Chicago, who have hit form since Mitotic came back.
I think we need to temper our draft expectations to a high single figure pick, with the possibility of being 10-11. (We know the Suns aren't bucking the odds to go up in the order!)
It's absurd that currently we are looking at a #10 pick. There are only like 2 games separating #10 from #2, but if we don't land a real premium prospect this year I'm gonna go crazy. We can't afford to drop entire ranges in this draft because the likes of Troy Daniels or Isaiah Canaan get hot.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
It's absurd that currently we are looking at a #10 pick. There are only like 2 games separating #10 from #2, but if we don't land a real premium prospect this year I'm gonna go crazy. We can't afford to drop entire ranges in this draft because the likes of Troy Daniels or Isaiah Canaan get hot.
Couldn't agree more.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Gladiator wrote:

^^^^^^^^this

And I am NOT satisfied by the roles Bender, Chriss and Jackson are playing in the Troy Daniels Tyson Chandler Isaiah Canaan train, id rather pile up losses letting the young guys be the focal points

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Gladiator wrote:
We've been playing a lot of very bad teams lately. I think the schedule gets tougher, and maybe we have another stretch of young guys hitting a mental wall as teams adjust to us. We are def going to hit another 5 game losing streak or two before the season is out. So, I think we are more like 6-10 range at the end of the day.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
It's frustrating, but I'm not going to get mad at management for not building a worse team.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

O_Gardino wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
We've been playing a lot of very bad teams lately. I think the schedule gets tougher, and maybe we have another stretch of young guys hitting a mental wall as teams adjust to us. We are def going to hit another 5 game losing streak or two before the season is out. So, I think we are more like 6-10 range at the end of the day.
It looks like we have 11 of our next 13 against playoff teams. Let's see how we do in that stretch.