NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: NBA FA 2020 & Suns FA targets

Post by Split T »

He’s a good player, I’m not disputing that. I just don’t think he’s great. He was 17/4 last year on 44/33/80 splits in 28 minutes off the bench. That’s probably what your looking at for us. That’s good, and combines 2 backup spots into 1, but the question becomes at what cost? Would you give up the 10th pick? Kelly? Cam?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:48 am
He’s a good player, I’m not disputing that. I just don’t think he’s great. He was 17/4 last year on 44/33/80 splits in 28 minutes off the bench. That’s probably what your looking at for us. That’s good, and combines 2 backup spots into 1, but the question becomes at what cost? Would you give up the 10th pick? Kelly? Cam?
It depends if Kelly is going to be here long-term. Not sure on that. It depends on what you think Mikal and Cam are going to provide us on their rookie contracts versus what Kelly will command in the open market.

Also, if there is any way to flip Rubio for him, I would do that and start him at PG with Booker in the back court.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Considering he is expiring, I'd offer Kaminsky, Jerome and our 2021 pick with top10 protection. Probably BRY wants something tangible now, so in that case I'd try to find a third team interested in that package for a different player that fits them better.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think it would be an Oubre for Dinwiddie swap. I'd try to get Nic Claxton included too.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Giving up Oubre would make us even weaker at PF. I am inclined to say no if that's what they want. Somebody has to be willing to send them a player they want for our filler and pick. Maybe Buddy Hield if the money can be worked out.

Split T

Post by Split T »

With Kyrie/KD/Lavert, they should have plenty of offensive weapons. Hield would be nice because he’s a catch and shoot guy, but I wonder how excited he’d be to be a 4th option. He’s already not thrilled with his role in Sacramento.

If they resign Joe Harris, not sure they have a need for Hield. Is their starting lineup Kyrie/Lavert/Harris/KD/Allen? With Dinwiddie running the 2nd unit? Defensive wings seem like what they are lacking the most.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I could be wrong, but I'd think a young player entering a brand new huge contract would be thrilled to escape Sacramento to catch and shoot off KD and Irving in NY.

Indy

Post by Indy »

just having a huge contract and playing in NYC vs Sacramento would be enough.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I am not sure what James Jones is planning after the bubble, as Saric was almost assuredly going to be let go before the bubble, but played really well in the role off the bench in the bubble. Same thing goes for Payne. Do you all trust the 8 game sample size + the 3 scrimmage games?

I think you need to have that insurance piece and possible future starting PG. I guess I would look that way in the draft, unless they know they can convince FVV to sign with the Suns.

Sam Cooper and Mike Vigil of the Timeline podcast did a great first free agency video on Christian Wood. He would be really nice, but then what do you do with Saric? And how much would Wood cost?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:06 pm
I could be wrong, but I'd think a young player entering a brand new huge contract would be thrilled to escape Sacramento to catch and shoot off KD and Irving in NY.
Maybe. Still, I don’t think those young stars in Boston had many good things to say about playing with Kyrie.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There will be zero shots left with Kyrie and KD out there. Everybody else will have to learn to fit in around those two.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:44 pm
Sam Cooper and Mike Vigil of the Timeline podcast did a great first free agency video on Christian Wood. He would be really nice, but then what do you do with Saric? And how much would Wood cost?
Wood only becomes realistic if the Suns are willing to make major adjustments to the roster; you won't get him for the MLE.

If you make the right moves with Rubio and/or Oubre, you can have room to resign Saric and add Wood; that would give you a 3-man rotation at the 4/5.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:25 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:44 pm
Wood only becomes realistic if the Suns are willing to make major adjustments to the roster; you won't get him for the MLE.

If you make the right moves with Rubio and/or Oubre, you can have room to resign Saric and add Wood; that would give you a 3-man rotation at the 4/5.
And no starting point guard.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Not really. The Suns could still have cap space, or acquire one in the Rubio or Oubre trade.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That puts all of Cam/Bridges/Oubre minutes at the 3. Unless you trade Oubre, it’s gonna be hard to find time to play those guys the minutes you’d want.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Right, I mentioned moving Oubre.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:21 am
Not really. The Suns could still have cap space, or acquire one in the Rubio or Oubre trade.
Madness.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

3rdside wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:35 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:21 am
Madness.

The problem with all of this is that people are comparing the Suns w/Rubio to the Suns trying to play with a non-NBA player at the point. So yes, there is going to be a HUGE difference.

Comparing the Rubio-Suns performance to Elie Okobo, Jevon Carter, Mike James, 1st year De'Anthony Melton, etc. is almost pointless. None of those players are even average NBA players.

The Suns can move on from Rubio. The only way that leads to disaster is if the plan is to replace him with someone who isn't an NBA player.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

We've just gone 8-0
Rubio is a primary reason for that
We've been in PG wilderness for years
We've had no identity or stability for years
We now have that
Sure, let's just throw it all on red that whoever comes in here will definitely be better than what we have right now.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Throwing it all on red / a 50:50 bet is being generous .. more like throwing it all on one of those 1/3 probability spots. And it's probably even worse than that.

Which guards are there that are definitely available and will definitely be better than Rubio? Is there even one?