SUNS 2014: Free Agency

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: SUNS 2014: Free Agency

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Oh, and please just don't go after Deng. Pau still makes sense for this roster but spending on those two means not more cap space and it's far from a given that they can live up to the length of their contracts, unless it is two years.

SF and a (two way) big man are our most glaring weaknesses but Deng-Pau won't elevate the team more than to make us a lock for the playoffs, at best. I want to make that progress but this just doesn't feel like a sustainable way to achieve it. If that's the best they can fo in free agency I'd explore trading for players under contract on capped out/rebuilding teams. And if they absolutely must use the cap space on a FA, just overpay for a younger RFA who at least have the best years of his career ahead of him.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Oh, and please just don't go after Deng. Pau still makes sense for this roster but spending on those two means not more cap space and it's far from a given that they can live up to the length of their contracts, unless it is two years.

SF and a (two way) big man are our most glaring weaknesses but Deng-Pau won't elevate the team more than to make us a lock for the playoffs, at best. I want to make that progress but this just doesn't feel like a sustainable way to achieve it. If that's the best they can fo in free agency I'd explore trading for players under contract on capped out/rebuilding teams. And if they absolutely must use the cap space on a FA, just overpay for a younger RFA who at least have the best years of his career ahead of him.
I don't think Deng or Gasol are good fits on this roster at this time, especially for what they'll be asking ($s and length of contract)

SDC

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:
In2ition wrote:Why is Scream'n A Smith such an @$$hat?
What'd he do this time?
He's claiming very arrogantly that Phoenix and Houston aren't marquee cities to lure marquee players. Even though the last big free agent to go to NY was Amare, only because the Suns couldn't guarantee him for anything past 3 years. If I'm right, didn't Howard pick to go to Houston?

Phoenix has been a destination city for NBA free agents since the beginning of free agency.
delusional-- not after colangelo left phoenix.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Gladiator wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Oh, and please just don't go after Deng. Pau still makes sense for this roster but spending on those two means not more cap space and it's far from a given that they can live up to the length of their contracts, unless it is two years.

I don't think Deng or Gasol are good fits on this roster at this time, especially for what they'll be asking ($s and length of contract)
gasol would have been a good fit, assuming the suns kept everybody together. now that frye's gone, a key player in the suns surprise run last season, pau doesnt make sense anymore. idiot mcdo is too slow to sign pau to a one year deal. it might have convinced frye to stay with the suns if the suns were trying to get better.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I think they are actually a good fit. They are not the perfect fit because Deng can't create well enough and is not a sharpshooter either, while Pau's a poor defender. But they are obvious upgrades. Since we could resign PJ for much less I'd stay away from Deng, but Pau's post scoring and passing would add a new dimension to this team. We'd need to look at the specific size and length of the contract to decide if it would be worth it.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

Sports Whispers @SportsWhispers
Follow
#Suns and #Hawks in contact with Greg Monroe
6:13 AM - 1 Jul 2014

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've read the Pistons will match anything for Monroe and then SVG will say something cryptic like "We love him and want it to work but it has to go two ways" or something like that.

I think they may let him walk, or at least talk sign and trade because they know they can't move Smith and realize it may be easier to just move him to the 4.

With regards to the Deng/Gasol stuff...I can't say I dislike it. Those are top vets that have won and proven themselves, we can play through Pau in the post late in games, go small with Deng at the 4, Pau can play some 5.

One thing that concerns me...what's our style/identity? We were a fast paced team that put up a lot of points last season. Gasol and Deng aren't exactly the most athletic guys or used to playing up and down. Hopefully like the Spurs we'll pick pick our spots and push with our guards.

Of the two, I'd rather go with Gasol simply because he's so skilled for a 7 footer and we can play through him. I also think we can keep him going health wise, but wouldn't go further than 3 years, maybe with a 4 year partial guarantee. 3 years 30mil sounds right. Deng can honestly be left. I like him, but he doesn't add enough for me to want to give him 10mil per, especially with his injury history and penchant for international play.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

sunset rubdown wrote:
Sports Whispers @SportsWhispers
Follow
#Suns and #Hawks in contact with Greg Monroe
6:13 AM - 1 Jul 2014

Here we go....This was my top target. Will 4/44 get it done?
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

m1chal

Post by m1chal »

Sunsfan4life wrote: Will 4/44 get it done?
I read somewhere that Monroe considers himself a max player. Or maybe it was his agent ;) 12mln per that Gortat got from Wiz is minimum I believe. Too much for an almost non-D guy if you ask me, but some contracts FAs have been getting this offseason are beyond ridiculous.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

He has to have someone give it to him though. The Pistons would be pretty nuts to have that much money invested in their frontcourt between him and Smith and their best frontcourt player, Andre Drummond, due a big payday soon. I don't think they match any substantial offer.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell/status/486898801227988992

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Shabazz wrote:

What a douche statement - not that I particularly wanted Hayward here (especially maxed), but why even make shit like that public?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Isn't that interesting...
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

SwingMan wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

What a douche statement - not that I particularly wanted Hayward here (especially maxed), but why even make shit like that public?
I don't get it. What's the big deal? Hayward didn't say anything.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SwingMan wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

Why is that douche statement? I am guessing that the Suns reached out to him as soon as they heard that he was going to agree to terms, to see if he was interested in playing for Hornacek. If this whole LeBron thing goes the way it seems, Phoenix is out. They would really like to have Hayward, and he would fit well with the Suns, so why not? Sounds more like Hayward wasn't totally convinced that Charlotte was his first choice.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Maybe he was our plan B but we had to wait too much on LeBron.

I won't say that I am mad at missing out on him because 16M per is a ton of money (and Utah probably matches anyway), but I believe he was the perfect SF for this team.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

In2ition wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

Why is that douche statement? I am guessing that the Suns reached out to him as soon as they heard that he was going to agree to terms, to see if he was interested in playing for Hornacek. If this whole LeBron thing goes the way it seems, Phoenix is out. They would really like to have Hayward, and he would fit well with the Suns, so why not? Sounds more like Hayward wasn't totally convinced that Charlotte was his first choice.
Nevermind most of what I just said, I read intended as intends. Totally different meanings. Either way, don't think it's a douche statement, and doesn't really matter either. I don't get how Hayward is a Max player. He's nice, and I would have liked the Suns to get him, but Max is too much for him. He would have been a great 3rd or 4th option type guy.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SDC wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:
In2ition wrote:Why is Scream'n A Smith such an @$$hat?
What'd he do this time?
He's claiming very arrogantly that Phoenix and Houston aren't marquee cities to lure marquee players. Even though the last big free agent to go to NY was Amare, only because the Suns couldn't guarantee him for anything past 3 years. If I'm right, didn't Howard pick to go to Houston?

Phoenix has been a destination city for NBA free agents since the beginning of free agency.
delusional-- not after colangelo left phoenix.
I don't think it's delusional. They brought back Dragic for less money than he reportedly was offered by Houston. Eric Gordon was a big restricted free agent at the time, and they signed him, even though it was matched. Hill signed with the Suns when he could have gone elsewhere. The Suns just haven't had cap space to be in the running for anyone decent. It's not a surprise to me that the Suns were at least in the running for LeBron.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Shabazz wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

I don't get it. What's the big deal? Hayward didn't say anything.
Doesn't matter who said it - it's like the asshole who stands off in a corner as the dust settles, looking at the nearest exit and saying "I really would've helped, BUT....."

Just a douche statement.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SDC wrote:
Gladiator wrote:

gasol would have been a good fit, assuming the suns kept everybody together. now that frye's gone, a key player in the suns surprise run last season, pau doesnt make sense anymore. idiot mcdo is too slow to sign pau to a one year deal. it might have convinced frye to stay with the suns if the suns were trying to get better.
Seriously? You are calling McDonough an idiot? I may be the only one here that feels this way, but your hate for McDonough is just silly and unfounded. You are only just guessing that the Lakers only wanted the Pacers pick for Pau, yet you love him like he was... your lover. You haven't come up with a single plan that I remember that was better, even with the gift of hindsight, than what McDonough has done.