Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by JeremyG »

It seems that the NBA is making the mistake of thinking that in order for someone to be a racist, they have to have "animus." Looking at their statement, the lack of "animus" seems to be what got him off the hook, as far as getting the Sterling treatment. But you don't have to have "animus" to be a racist or misogynist. You may not hate certain people, but you still might consider them to be inferior. Isn't that just as bad?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:00 am
The Bobster wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:43 am
A lot of what he did probably takes place in a lot of work places, it's just that the NBA, and other large corporations aren't going to tolerate that kind of behavior.

He's overbearing, insensitive and unprofessional, but not on the Donald Sterling level (although that's a pretty low bar). A year-long suspension from running a multi-billion company is pretty significant, hopefully he learns something from this.

I don't think any of us are going to miss him.
I don’t get this. How? Can someone explain to why Donald Sterling is worst??? Other then saying he was caught in 4K saying fucked up shit for all to hear? Yeah, recording is damning but the NBA investigation interviewed 320 people and 80k documents and their takeaway was he 100% said the N-Word multiple times, committed sexual harassment, inappropriate touching employees and extremely toxic work environment. I don’t see the major difference here to be honest.
I think you’re forgetting what Sterling did. Regardless of how you say it, saying the n-word if you’re not black is wrong, but there’s still a difference in quoting someone else using the n-word and calling someone the n-word. He also told his girlfriend to stop associating with black people and to quit bringing them to his games.

Here’s a rundown of what Sterling did, I don’t think Sarver is a good person, but he’s not the awful human being that Sterling was:

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2014/4 ... d-sterling

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:15 am
It seems that the NBA is making the mistake of thinking that in order for someone to be a racist, they have to have "animus." Looking at their statement, the lack of "animus" seems to be what got him off the hook, as far as getting the Sterling treatment. But you don't have to have "animus" to be a racist or misogynist. You may not hate certain people, but you still might consider them to be inferior. Isn't that just as bad?
I think the tricky part is proving it. Apparently all the instances of him using the n-word were him quoting other people. He can say he didn’t know that was a bad thing to do and that he meant no harm by it(of course that’s a bit of a stretch since in multiple occasions he was told not to say it), but it doesn’t prove he hates black people or even views them as inferior, just that he thinks he’s allowed to use the n-word.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Welp, can't in good conscience root for a team owned by a verified racist piece of trash, guess I'm sitting the NBA out til he's gone. Cool.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He saw both in action

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

All terrible offenses. Wtf. Worse than I thought. NBA gonna look baaad if this gets any legs.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:08 am
Wally_West wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
A lot of what he did probably takes place in a lot of work places, it's just that the NBA, and other large corporations aren't going to tolerate that kind of behavior.

He's overbearing, insensitive and unprofessional, but not on the Donald Sterling level (although that's a pretty low bar). A year-long suspension from running a multi-billion company is pretty significant, hopefully he learns something from this.

I don’t get this. How? Can someone explain to why Donald Sterling is worst??? Other then saying he was caught in 4K saying fucked up shit for all to hear? Yeah, recording is damning but the NBA investigation interviewed 320 people and 80k documents and their takeaway was he 100% said the N-Word multiple times, committed sexual harassment, inappropriate touching employees and extremely toxic work environment. I don’t see the major difference here to be honest.
The difference is the live recording people were able to stream. We have little Sarver audio or video clips that can make the rounds. The eulogy was I think it and apparently not enough to gross anyone out.
It's more than the live stream. Sterling was magnitudes of levels worse. Like Bobster said, he was a racist slumlord that shit on the little guy. He treated his players like property. Like he was a slave owner on a plantation.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s gonna need a players response. If the players refuse to play they will force the leagues hand.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Gonna enjoy a nice beverage with this after work. https://www.wlrk.com/wp-content/uploads ... Report.pdf

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:00 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:08 am
Wally_West wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

The difference is the live recording people were able to stream. We have little Sarver audio or video clips that can make the rounds. The eulogy was I think it and apparently not enough to gross anyone out.
It's more than the live stream. Sterling was magnitudes of levels worse. Like Bobster said, he was a racist slumlord that shit on the little guy. He treated his players like property. Like he was a slave owner on a plantation.
I can agree with that. I just wanted to emphasize the power of video and audio if we had his offenses.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I guess my perspective is a little different - when I started working in 1980, bosses like Sarver were not that uncommon - and while he would have been considered a horrible boss, unless his behavior crossed the line into sexual harassment or discrimination there was little done about someone like this.

Thankfully we work in a society now where a lot of things that were tolerated before - bullying of employees, insensitive comments, etc. Do I think a horrible boss deserves the "Death Penalty" as an owner? Probably not, but if harassment or discrimination laws are broken, or if they are settled out of court to avoid prosecution they should be investigated and dealt with more harshly.

The year long suspension for Sarver is significant - he obviously revels in the public attention he gets as owner. But he's finding out its a two-edged sword.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:56 am

He saw both in action
Jamal Crawford wasn't saying this when he was looking for that last NBA contract was he? Why didn't he speak up during his time with the Suns or immediately afterwards if he felt Sarver was "Sterling 2.0"?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Well, the good news is he's $10M poorer, so he'll be even cheaper when he gets back.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Great time for James Jones to change the news cycle with a personnel move that improves the product on the court.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

TOO wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:45 am
Welp, can't in good conscience root for a team owned by a verified racist piece of trash, guess I'm sitting the NBA out til he's gone. Cool.
Wish I could follow you, but I didn't become a Suns fan because of a scumbag like Robert Sarver. I became a Suns fan because of Kevin Johnson!

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:21 am
Split T wrote:

He saw both in action
Jamal Crawford wasn't saying this when he was looking for that last NBA contract was he? Why didn't he speak up during his time with the Suns or immediately afterwards if he felt Sarver was "Sterling 2.0"?
It’s possible he wasn’t aware until the report came out

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:02 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:21 am
Split T wrote:

He saw both in action
It’s possible he wasn’t aware until the report came out
Then he clearly wasn't as bad as Donald Sterling (multiple lawsuits against him, convicted of being a slumlord, wee-known incidents of him making comments to players indicating a "plantation mentality"). Crawford would have been aware of this if it was a problem of that magnitude.

Look, Sarver is a piece of shit, but Sterling was a whole septic tank.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Oh I agree, I think Sterling was worse, but it doesn’t excuse Sarver and I don’t blame players for speaking up. His point I assume is that Sarver should be removed like Sterling. Not necessarily that Sarver was just as bad, just that both crossed the line to where they should be removed.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

All eyes on suns players for what comes next. It could be messy and fractured among NBA players. Something tells me we will see moderate tempered response internally from Book and CP3 but potentially bigger reaction from other NBA players. What will Monty and JJ do? Keep their jobs? Sarver and co laid the groundwork for internal support already.

Split T

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner of

Post by Split T »

Maybe the minority owners could get him out