SUNS 2014: Free Agency

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Xylus

Re: SUNS 2014: Free Agency

Post by Xylus »

Can someone give me a scouting report on Monroe? I'll admit, I've never seen the guy play. Don't get around to watching many Pistons games.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Putting trade kickers into contracts seems to be a nice deterrent from getting the incumbent team to match. Charlotte is doing that to Hayward's contract, and that (along with the max) is probably going to make Utah balk at matching.

As I say that, some team is probably going to do that to us with Bledsoe.

carey

Post by carey »

SwingMan wrote:
What's your take on Tucker, anyways?
Quality role player, frustrating offensively, doesn't fully understand the limits of his game, tenacious defender, leader of men, often the heart of this team, a guy I don't want to be on the wrong side of a beef with, and also not worth more than $5Mil a year in the current salary climate.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Xylus wrote:Can someone give me a scouting report on Monroe? I'll admit, I've never seen the guy play. Don't get around to watching many Pistons games.
Traditional big man, good rebounder/post player/passer. Underwheling defender, but not as bad as peoplesay he is there.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Xylus wrote:Can someone give me a scouting report on Monroe? I'll admit, I've never seen the guy play. Don't get around to watching many Pistons games.
Traditional big man, good rebounder/post player/passer. Underwheling defender, but not as bad as peoplesay he is there.
So his offense exists down low primarily. Any range to his shot?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Xylus wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
So his offense exists down low primarily. Any range to his shot?
He is 95% post based , very little range.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Honestly, I'd rather just wait for a good trade, the draft, or free agency next year. Next year's draft is going to have about three guys with higher upside and skills on the block. It's probably going to be loaded at the PF and C positions.

Plus, I still have high hopes for Alex Len.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:Honestly, I'd rather just wait for a good trade, the draft, or free agency next year. Next year's draft is going to have about three guys with higher upside and skills on the block. It's probably going to be loaded at the PF and C positions.

Plus, I still have high hopes for Alex Len.
With the contracts flying around I hope its trade before FA.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Wally_West wrote: Sorry but LANCE BLANKS> McDoubt everyday of the week!
I really hope the arrow is just facing the wrong direction.....

.....or you're doing a great Robot impression :)

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

carey wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
What's your take on Tucker, anyways?
Quality role player, frustrating offensively, doesn't fully understand the limits of his game, tenacious defender, leader of men, often the heart of this team, a guy I don't want to be on the wrong side of a beef with, and also not worth more than $5Mil a year in the current salary climate.
Who says we don't agree on anything? ;) (though I disagree with the "limits" statement - if he'd paid any heed to that, his 3-shot would still be non-existent)

I thought Tucker earned $3-$4 million per, but the way teams have completely fucked the market up, he'll probably get $5 million per.

And I still wouldn't include him in a package for Kevin Love.....

SDC

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:
SDC wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:
In2ition wrote:Why is Scream'n A Smith such an @$$hat?
What'd he do this time?
He's claiming very arrogantly that Phoenix and Houston aren't marquee cities to lure marquee players. Even though the last big free agent to go to NY was Amare, only because the Suns couldn't guarantee him for anything past 3 years. If I'm right, didn't Howard pick to go to Houston?

Phoenix has been a destination city for NBA free agents since the beginning of free agency.
delusional-- not after colangelo left phoenix.
I don't think it's delusional. They brought back Dragic for less money than he reportedly was offered by Houston. Eric Gordon was a big restricted free agent at the time, and they signed him, even though it was matched. Hill signed with the Suns when he could have gone elsewhere. The Suns just haven't had cap space to be in the running for anyone decent. It's not a surprise to me that the Suns were at least in the running for LeBron.
it is delusional, even more so now that the boy is in charge.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
SDC wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Oh, and please just don't go after Deng. Pau still makes sense for this roster but spending on those two means not more cap space and it's far from a given that they can live up to the length of their contracts, unless it is two years.

SF and a (two way) big man are our most glaring weaknesses but Deng-Pau won't elevate the team more than to make us a lock for the playoffs, at best. I want to make that progress but this just doesn't feel like a sustainable way to achieve it. If that's the best they can fo in free agency I'd explore trading for players under contract on capped out/rebuilding teams. And if they absolutely must use the cap space on a FA, just overpay for a younger RFA who at least have the best years of his career ahead of him.
I don't think Deng or Gasol are good fits on this roster at this time, especially for what they'll be asking ($s and length of contract)
gasol would have been a good fit, assuming the suns kept everybody together. now that frye's gone, a key player in the suns surprise run last season, pau doesnt make sense anymore. idiot mcdo is too slow to sign pau to a one year deal. it might have convinced frye to stay with the suns if the suns were trying to get better.
Seriously? You are calling McDonough an idiot? I may be the only one here that feels this way, but your hate for McDonough is just silly and unfounded. You are only just guessing that the Lakers only wanted the Pacers pick for Pau, yet you love him like he was... your lover. You haven't come up with a single plan that I remember that was better, even with the gift of hindsight, than what McDonough has done.
Are you kidding me?! I think most of us feel that way.
so then it's just me and informer, huh?

carey

Post by carey »

Informer does not think McDonough is an idiot. He may be more in wait & see mode than the rest of us, but he's never said a bad word about him.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Even if you don't like McDonough he's light years ahead of anything we've had since Bryan Colangelo, and he wasn't even that great of a GM. Sadly, all that it takes to be better than his predecessors is have a long term plan that doesn't involve cronyism.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Even if you don't like McDonough he's light years ahead of anything we've had since Bryan Colangelo, and he wasn't even that great of a GM. Sadly, all that it takes to be better than his predecessors is have a long term plan that doesn't involve cronyism.
it's going to be tough to remove mcdo, not because he is good, but because no quality front office guy wants to work with sarver. everybody from welts, kerr, griffin, quinter have left the suns (this was only 3 yrs ago).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SDC wrote:
In2ition wrote: I don't think it's delusional. They brought back Dragic for less money than he reportedly was offered by Houston. Eric Gordon was a big restricted free agent at the time, and they signed him, even though it was matched. Hill signed with the Suns when he could have gone elsewhere. The Suns just haven't had cap space to be in the running for anyone decent. It's not a surprise to me that the Suns were at least in the running for LeBron.
it is delusional, even more so now that the boy is in charge.
What is your problem with McDonough, that you feel you are so much smarter than he is and need to call him names?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:Informer does not think McDonough is an idiot. He may be more in wait & see mode than the rest of us, but he's never said a bad word about him.
I miss INF. I wish he would make a return.

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote:
carey wrote:Informer does not think McDonough is an idiot. He may be more in wait & see mode than the rest of us, but he's never said a bad word about him.
Yes, I'm sorry for whatever role I played in that.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Yes, I'm sorry for whatever role I played in that.
As you should be, I don't even know how you live with yourself.