Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Post by Wally_West »

I really really don’t want it to be Ayton, Mikal and CamJ, two of those guys? Sure. But all 3? Come on, man. Lol

probably still do that trade tho. :oops:

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:22 pm
I really really don’t want it to be Ayton, Mikal and CamJ, two of those guys? Sure. But all 3? Come on, man. Lol

probably still do that trade tho. :oops:
That is where I am, too. I would hate to see it, but if my job were to try and win a ring before my contract was up, I would do that trade.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I understand the concerns oh how a Durant acquisition impacts the long-term outlook of this team.

But I think we also need realize this team has reach its ceiling. I think as is the Suns are likely still a top 5 team next year, but this group is headed in the wrong direction. The franchise is selling us on the whole, "we just happened to play our worst game in Game 7 of the second round." But let's get real here. The team was treated to a having all of their western conference playoff opponents missing an All-Star AND had homecourt in the Finals, AND had a 2-0 lead. Couldn't finish. The next year, they win 64 games, and have a 2-0 lead on a one-man Dallas team; they get blown out by 40 on their homecourt in an elimination game. Golden State showed us who Dallas really is.

I don't think you can look at the last two years and think this team is trending in the right direction. Whether the team is brought back largely the same or they go all in for Durant, there are perils on both paths.

One of the biggest issues is Chris Paul. He is the engine driving the Suns and you can't rely on him. Jones gambled on him and it came very close to paying out the biggest prize - a championship. But I think now the Suns are left just playing out the last leg of his career, being a solid playoff team. They don't have the assets to take this team to another level. So in away, they're kind of stuck.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Maybe I'm too optimistic for once, but I don't think the Suns would part with Mikal in this KD stuff.

The Nets have their back against the wall and leverage is slipping out of their hands more everyday. All deals with other teams (Miami, Chicago?) being mostly equal and KD wants to go to Phoenix, he's going to get his way.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:31 pm
Maybe it is because I don't really have an appetite for a Kevin Durant trade, but I don't see Phoenix coming close to offering the best package.

The Simmons-Embiid pairing had its issues; Ayton-Simmons would be even worse. I don't see Brooklyn being in a hurry to bring in two elite but very expensive role players (Ayton and Bridges) who can't create offense. Brooklyn is going to want to want guys that can score.

Portland could offer a resigned Anfernee Simons, Eric Bledsoe, the draft rights to Shaedon Sharpe, Greg Brown, and Keon Johnson.

Chicago could offer Nikola Vucevic, Patrick Williams, Coby White, and Ayon Dosunmu.

Atlanta could offer John Collins, De'Andre Hunter, Jalen Johnson and draft rights to AJ Griffin.

Does New Orleans decide to offer Zion and make a run with a McCollum-Ingram-Durant core?
Good to see you here, INF.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't think Durant is going to hold Brooklyn hostage. He'll give them a list of teams and let Brooklyn get the best deal.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

I hope we can get Patty Mills over here too! That dude opts out if he is not included and signs with us.
Last edited by Drewsprocket on Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:28 pm
Maybe I'm too optimistic for once, but I don't think the Suns would part with Mikal in this KD stuff.

The Nets have their back against the wall and leverage is slipping out of their hands more everyday. All deals with other teams (Miami, Chicago?) being mostly equal and KD wants to go to Phoenix, he's going to get his way.
Yeah. I think we can get away with Ayton and CamJ as the core pieces and then we'll have to throw in 3 firsts (Jones' dream scenario!). We also need to bring in a Center who can defend and roll to the basket. I don't think the Biz-Saric combo will get it done.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:26 pm
I understand the concerns oh how a Durant acquisition impacts the long-term outlook of this team.

But I think we also need realize this team has reach its ceiling. I think as is the Suns are likely still a top 5 team next year, but this group is headed in the wrong direction. The franchise is selling us on the whole, "we just happened to play our worst game in Game 7 of the second round." But let's get real here. The team was treated to a having all of their western conference playoff opponents missing an All-Star AND had homecourt in the Finals, AND had a 2-0 lead. Couldn't finish. The next year, they win 64 games, and have a 2-0 lead on a one-man Dallas team; they get blown out by 40 on their homecourt in an elimination game. Golden State showed us who Dallas really is.

I don't think you can look at the last two years and think this team is trending in the right direction. Whether the team is brought back largely the same or they go all in for Durant, there are perils on both paths.

One of the biggest issues is Chris Paul. He is the engine driving the Suns and you can't rely on him. Jones gambled on him and it came very close to paying out the biggest prize - a championship. But I think now the Suns are left just playing out the last leg of his career, being a solid playoff team. They don't have the assets to take this team to another level. So in away, they're kind of stuck.
If Chris Paul is your 3rd best player I think you are in a much better place than him being your 2nd best player. Especially if the best player is a first ballot HOF player that scored 30 ppg last season on great shooting splits.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I agree Indy. What gives me pause is that I don't like our chances with Durant+Booker and a broken down Chris Paul and filler for the rest of the roster. I think you're just left with a team that is going come up short again.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:31 pm
I don't think Durant is going to hold Brooklyn hostage. He'll give them a list of teams and let Brooklyn get the best deal.
That's probably right. Even with the fit issue and having to probably overpay him, Ayton is still the single best player they could probably get in return.

I'm also speculating he's only really interested in teams with guys he played with in Tokyo. So that's..

Phoenix
Chicago
Portland
Miami
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Speaking of Miami, they could offer Bam and Herro; I think Brooklyn takes that over Ayton/CamJ/Bridges.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't consider Adebayo to be an option. Maybe I'm underestimating Pat Riley here.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:37 pm
I agree Indy. What gives me pause is that I don't like our chances with Durant+Booker and a broken down Chris Paul and filler for the rest of the roster. I think you're just left with a team that is going come up short again.
I agree. And that's assuming KD doesn't break down. Good to see you back btw!
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:26 pm

Glad to see you back, INF!

This is pretty much how I feel. Love Chris Paul but he’s too much of a liability, for a variety of reasons, to be one of your top 2 guys at this point. We all agree that upgrading the 4 spot and finding another ball handler/ball creator are big needs but if we are going into next season with Chris Paul as our second best player again, we’re in real trouble.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Perhaps. It is definitely the risk. But it does seem to be a better shot at a ring than improving on the margins or upgrading spots 5-8. And I would love to trade Chris Paul for a better player to be our #1 or #2, but I don't see that happening.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:53 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Perhaps. It is definitely the risk. But it does seem to be a better shot at a ring than improving on the margins or upgrading spots 5-8. And I would love to trade Chris Paul for a better player to be our #1 or #2, but I don't see that happening.
Paul won't be traded; Monty and Jones worship him, and that is part of the problem, at least when it comes to Monty.

I prefer to improve on the margins because at least that doesn't jeopardize the long-term outlook. Ideally I would sign and trade Ayton; move Shamet/Crowder/Saric for Kevin Love; sign Jalen Smith, Mo Bamba, or Isaiah Hartenstein to the MLE; sign Rubio to back up Paul. Extend CamJ for $15 mil a year. Call it a day.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Herro and Bam is, to me at least, a better package for sure, but if Windhorst is to be believed and Nets don’t want to rebuild, then trading with an in-conference rival is probably not the best choice.

At the end of the day, it’s absolutely wishful thinking, but I think KD just wants to come here more than any other place. I’m a full on KD truther at this point, I totally believe all bread crumbs people point to on Twitter and Reddit. lol

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Not wanting to rebuild does not preclude dealing Durant within the conference. No matter what Durant trade Brooklyn makes, they won't be a contender. So I don't think they'll be scared of trading Durant to an Eastern Conference team.

Brooklyn likely doesn't want to tank, but they also won't make a move that will lock them into being a mediocre team with no way to significantly improve. I think Marks will look to get a combination of established players and players with upside, while creating/maintaining flexibility.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I was thinking about Marks and Nash last night. How many GM's would survive the aftermath of this situation in Brooklyn?