How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
wpmiller42

Re: How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Post by wpmiller42 »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:00 am
If we do waive and stretch CP3, I like making trades with Washington. Gotta think they go into rebuild mode and they might want Ayton.

Ayton/Shamet for Kuzma/Gafford/Wright

Wright/Booker/Kuzma/KD/Gafford

Then you’d have the MLE, BAE, TPE, and vet min exceptions to fill out the bench. Or find a 5th starter and move Wright to the bench.
Honestly, this seems fair all the way around.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:53 am
That’s fair…but what’s the alternative? Ayton is also a high priced player that doesn’t seem to fit. There may be better options on what to do with Ayton, but we’ll have to see.
I like where the Suns are going either Ayton, trade him if there's a deal that is actually good, or rehab him if there isn't. My nightmare is the Suns trading him for a bunch of scrubs or mediocre role players on long term deals. I don't think this will happen given Vogel.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:57 am
My other thought with Portland…there was that ridiculous talk about getting the 3rd pick for Ayton, but they also have another 1st rounder. What if we could do something built around the 23rd pick?

Nurkic/Simons/23 for Ayton/Shamet?

The 23 would be to take on the Nurkic deal.
Let's face it, Detroit is the only team in the league that would be willing to take on Shamet now :twisted:

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shamet is just the contract to make the salaries work

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:26 am
Shamet is just the contract to make the salaries work
Yeah, I was just joking. I like the trade and could see Portland going for it.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:18 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:57 am
My other thought with Portland…there was that ridiculous talk about getting the 3rd pick for Ayton, but they also have another 1st rounder. What if we could do something built around the 23rd pick?

Nurkic/Simons/23 for Ayton/Shamet?

The 23 would be to take on the Nurkic deal.
Let's face it, Detroit is the only team in the league that would be willing to take on Shamet now :twisted:
I think it’s a fair deal. I wonder if Simons can develop into a better finisher and put pressure on the rim.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't know if I like the fit of Kuzma here. He'd want to play PF, wouldn't he? That's KD's position. I don't think you would play KD and Kuzma at the same time.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:46 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:32 am
He did win a championship with Vogel in LA…though he was really bad the next year against us in the playoffs.

Kuzma isn’t perfect by any means(I would prefer Jerami Grant, but doubt he’s available), but he’s talented. He played good defense with Vogel in LA, he’s big, he can rebound, and he can score if need be.

Ya he probably needs/wants the ball more than you’d like, but his playmaking has also improved and Booker/KD are two of the best off ball scorers in the league.
I just think you have to be very careful with the type of big dollar, long term deals you get into going forward. The new CBA is very unforgiving, and the Suns just don't have the margin for error if they miss on a high-priced free agent.

Kuzma is talented and certainly wouldn't be a terrible addition; I just don't know if it would be prudent, and the Suns have done enough things that are not prudent.
Yeah, but think of his fashion sense. Pretty soon all of us would be wearing our sleeves down to the ground.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:04 am
Split T wrote:
That’s fair…but what’s the alternative? Ayton is also a high priced player that doesn’t seem to fit. There may be better options on what to do with Ayton, but we’ll have to see.
I like where the Suns are going either Ayton, trade him if there's a deal that is actually good, or rehab him if there isn't. My nightmare is the Suns trading him for a bunch of scrubs or mediocre role players on long term deals. I don't think this will happen given Vogel.
Think Amare for Warrick and Turkyglue. That worked out well.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:46 am
I don't know if I like the fit of Kuzma here. He'd want to play PF, wouldn't he? That's KD's position. I don't think you would play KD and Kuzma at the same time.
I don’t see any issue playing them together. I think both can play 3-5

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'd turn DA into Mitch Robinson, Fournier and either IQ or Grimes.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:00 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:46 am
I don’t see any issue playing them together. I think both can play 3-5
They can absolutely play together and could be very effective as both have ideal size and playmaking ability.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:53 pm
I'd turn DA into Mitch Robinson, Fournier and either IQ or Grimes.
I'd go for IQ and pretty much anyone playable at this point, but I guess that disqualifies Fournier.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Need Fournier for the salary. With Vogel here, he's probably less likely due to his defense. But he'd be a nice offensive player to add on the perimeter.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Only view if you want a Flex laugh
Spoiler: show/hide

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's happening.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

James Jones interview with Duane Rankin: https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 303523007/
Phoenix Suns president of basketball operations and general manager, James Jones, has an idea on what type of team he wants to construct to compete for a championship next season.

“A team that shoots it, off-ball movement,” said Jones in an 1-on-1 interview with The Republic before introducing Frank Vogel as the new head coach Tuesday at Footprint Center.

“A team that can rebound well and put pressure on the rim. I know that seems very generic, but those are the areas of the game that if you’re effective in those areas, you give yourself a chance really good chance at winning with just good players. If you can do that with great players like we have with Kevin (Durant), Devin (Booker), Deandre (Ayton) and Chris (Paul), you increase your odds and that’s all you want to do. You want to tilt the odds in your favor.”
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

TOO

Post by TOO »

So, not the Suns? Good luck James.

Where was this plan 2 years ago when the window was wide open? What a moron.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He's always been really good at using a lot of words to say nothing at all.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:57 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:04 am
Split T wrote:
Think Amare for Warrick and Turkyglue. That worked out well.
Exactly. But some folks here seem to be advocating for these kinds of trades. Better recently