2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
1tinsoldier

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by 1tinsoldier »

that Young clip is an eye opener. i liked that it wasn't only highlights
i'm guessing steph curry didn't look that good in college
i watched Lonzo clips before the draft
comparing both pre-draft clips, i'd pick Young without hesitation

carey

Post by carey »

You didn't see Steph in college? He was fucking amazing, man. I have no idea how he went so low. Probably because he played at a mid-major and is small. He could always shoot the fuck out of the ball and scored relentlessly in his last year at Davidson. He certainly was not quite that as a Freshman though.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

He went low cuz Minnesota was stupid and took Rubio and Jonny Flynn above him.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Minnesota badly needing a point guard and drafting two PGs who are not Steph Curry, before Steph Curry got picked, may be one of the worst draft catastrophes ever in the history of the NBA.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Minnesota badly needing a point guard and drafting two PGs who are not Steph Curry, before Steph Curry got picked, may be one of the worst draft catastrophes ever in the history of the NBA.
Then, the next year they drafted Wesley Johnson. They could have had Kevin Love, Steph Curry, and Paul George.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Minnesota badly needing a point guard and drafting two PGs who are not Steph Curry, before Steph Curry got picked, may be one of the worst draft catastrophes ever in the history of the NBA.
Memphis selected Thabeet that same draft, with those guys available to them plus James Harden. That's quite the soap dropping too.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:He went low cuz Minnesota was stupid and took Rubio and Jonny Flynn above him.
There are several reasons Steph went lower.

1. He was projected as a small shooting guard rather than a pg.
2. He was a junior, and there is a bias against upperclassmen.
3. His shooting averages from three were good but not fantastic (but he was a great clutch scorer)
4. His athletic ability seemed average.

His advantages were
1. He carried his team to a fantastic tourney showing.
2. His 2 point percentages were very efficient for a guard, making his three look better too.
3. He had an "it" factor.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... rry-1.html

Trae Young has all of these things AND he is a better passer. To me, the negative is that he is a freshman. While that can be a positive too, Steph proved himself consistent over several years. Who knows if teams will somehow "Figure out" Trae.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ung-1.html

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

What are the various thoughts/observations about Shai Gilgeous-Alexander?

I like his size and defensive skills. I'm a little weary of 6-1 and shorter PGs, especially defensively challenged ones.
He has the potential to guard three positions, instead of one (Suns tradition, it seems ...)
It would be a nice change of pace to have a guy who can see over the top of defenses.
He could have the potential to be a pre-injury version of Shaun Livingston.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

LazarusLong wrote:What are the various thoughts/observations about Shai Gilgeous-Alexander?

I like his size and defensive skills. I'm a little weary of 6-1 and shorter PGs, especially defensively challenged ones.
He has the potential to guard three positions, instead of one (Suns tradition, it seems ...)
It would be a nice change of pace to have a guy who can see over the top of defenses.
He's a hot name right now, with a lot of people talking about him. I saw him at the beginning of the year and was wondering why no one was talking about him, so I didn't either, doh. He's pretty smooth, not quite as fast as Fox, but is probably a better natural pg. He really reminded me of Fox though a bit. Maybe it's just because they look similar with hair and frame. I do like that he is taller and seems to have a better outside shot than Fox, although I wouldn't say that's a strength of his. I've thought for awhile that the Suns could really use a taller pg, as we've seen too many opposing bigger pgs take advantage of the Suns pgs because of size.

I'd love to see the Suns get two outstanding prospects this next draft(via the nba throwing them a bone after 50 yrs and allowing them to finally win the lottery, see the young guys make a huge jump in the second half of the season, allow them to make a huge trade for a young superstar, and possibly fill the last spot with a big time free agent). This is a dream all the stars align scenario though.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1/10 ... ft-january

Has us taking Sexton at 9. Could be a more explosive Kemba. Much more of a scorer than facilitator right now, but he's definitely a competitor. At 9 I think he's a good pick.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

LazarusLong wrote:What are the various thoughts/observations about Shai Gilgeous-Alexander?

I like him. Good balance and coordination, and he can already play at multiple speeds. Most freshmen only know how to play all out, and this kid already knows how to play slow and patient. Don't think he'll go very high, so if we drop out of the top 7 he's a possibility. Might even be there at the Miami pick.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'll have to watch him. He seems like the kind of PG I want next to Booker. Similar to Nickiel Alexander-Walker. Bonus is we should be able to get those guys with the Miami pick.

Edit: Just found out SGA and NAW are cousins.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

O_Gardino wrote:

I like him. Good balance and coordination, and he can already play at multiple speeds. Most freshmen only know how to play all out, and this kid already knows how to play slow and patient. Don't think he'll go very high, so if we drop out of the top 7 he's a possibility. Might even be there at the Miami pick.
Take a look at Landry Shamet out of Wichita St. 6-4 pg with a 7 foot wingspan. Averages 16 pts and 5 assists. Shoots 58% from the field and 52% from the 3 (with 70 taken so far). He is supposed to be a very good defender. Reminds me a lot of Brogdon. He is a very efficient offensive player and a pretty good passer.

I think we could get him with the Miami pick.

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by JCSunsfan on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JCSunsfan wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Take a look at Landry Shamet out of Wichita St. 6-4 pg with a 7 foot wingspan. Averages 16 pts and 5 assists. Shoots 58% from the field and 52% from the 3 (with 70 taken so far). He is supposed to be a very good defender. Reminds me a lot of Brogdon. He is a very efficient offensive player and a pretty good passer.

Cool. I'll check him out.

I think there will be a good role-player PG available with the miami pick. If Trae and Donic are off the board, we don't have to panic and get the next best PG. We can take the BPA, even if it is Mikal Bridges.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

O_Gardino wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

I think there will be a good role-player PG available with the miami pick. If Trae and Donic are off the board, we don't have to panic and get the next best PG. We can take the BPA, even if it is Mikal Bridges.
There are some ways in which a player like Shamet, if he could have the same impact in the nba, would be a nice fit for this team--even as a starter. Shooting, defense, distribution, defers to Devin.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think we end up in the 7-9 range. I'll assume Doncic, Ayton, Bagley, Young, and Bamba are gone. That leaves us with some combination of Porter (probably only if he still has injury question marks) Jackson, Sexton, both Bridges, and Carter.

Mikal Bridges doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a roster standpoint. Booker/Warren are our best players and we just drafted Jackson/Reed last year, but I think he's going to be a really good player. An elite 3D guy and a great fit alongside Booker. I'd take him and figure out who gets to stay later. Also, if we plan to utilize Booker at PG, you could play Booker, Bridges, Jackson, and Warren all at the same time.

I really like Carter too. I don't envision stardom from him, but he could be a Monroe like player with better mobility, better range, and better defense.

So those are my two guys I'd look at if we miss out on the top guys. I wouldn't hate Sexton, but like you said, we can get a PG later.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Also, Miami is on a bit of a run. Currently there pick would fall at 23

Split T

Post by Split T »

For those worried about us going on a run and killing our draft pick, here's some schedule info:

Warriors: 4 games remaining
Rockets: 3 games
Spurs: 1 game
Thunder: 2 games
Nuggets: 2 games
Blazers: 2 games
Pelicans: 2 games
Celtics: 1 game
Cavs: 2 games
Heat:1 game
Pistons: 1 game
Pacers: 2 games
Bucks: 1 game

That's 24 of our 40 games against current playoff teams, and 10 against the 4 probable conference finalists.

Of the 16 non playoff opponents, 8 are against teams with better records than us.

Clippers: 2 games
Knicks: 1 game
Jazz: 3 games
Hornets: 2 games

That leaves 8 games the rest of the season against teams worse than us:

Mavs: 2 games
Kings: 1 game
Grizz: 2 games
Lakers: 1 game
Magic: 1 game
Hawks: 1 game

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Thanks for the schedule breakdown. Maybe our pick moves up some. Or maybe we keep improving and surprise some folks.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Split T wrote:For those worried about us going on a run and killing our draft pick, here's some schedule info:

Warriors: 4 games remaining
Rockets: 3 games
Spurs: 1 game
Thunder: 2 games
Nuggets: 2 games
Blazers: 2 games
Pelicans: 2 games
Celtics: 1 game
Cavs: 2 games
Heat:1 game
Pistons: 1 game
Pacers: 2 games
Bucks: 1 game

That's 24 of our 40 games against current playoff teams, and 10 against the 4 probable conference finalists.

Of the 16 non playoff opponents, 8 are against teams with better records than us.

Clippers: 2 games
Knicks: 1 game
Jazz: 3 games
Hornets: 2 games

That leaves 8 games the rest of the season against teams worse than us:

Mavs: 2 games
Kings: 1 game
Grizz: 2 games
Lakers: 1 game
Magic: 1 game
Hawks: 1 game
Currently, only 2 games separate us at #9 from the Kings at #4. I suspect we settle around 6th or 7th worst in the league at the end of the season. 6th worst would give us a 21.% chance at a top 3 pick while 7th would give us a 15% shot. If we can somehow beat the odds and grab a top 3 pick, I am very optimistic about our future. I think we will have all the core piece and flexibility we need to start taking major steps towards the playoffs. Next year we may still be in the high lotto (11-14 range), but that might be our last year watching the playoffs from the outside.