2018 Phoenix Suns Pick Watch

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: 2018 Phoenix Suns Pick Watch

Post by Cap »

carey wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Back to our picks, MIA is #16 and MIL is #17. They are separated by one win. MIL currently keeps the pick, but if the lose to the 76rs (fighting for the 3rd seed) and MIA wins against Orlando, the tie goes in favor of MIA, dropping MIL one slot and sending us their 1stR.
Interesting. Thank you for the break down. I think that is a scenario that is possible but Miami is very hit or miss lately and plays down to their competition. I don't like our chances betting on them to win even against Orlando who are terrible. The only interesting thing is that Dallas, Atlanta and Orlando are all tied right now with a record of 24-57 so it is actually in their best interest to lose to Miami. We know that the Suns play Dallas and Miami plays Orlando but Atlanta plays the 76ers who, like you said, are trying to win.
Tie breakers don’t matter for draft order. It’s a coin flip.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I honestly can't figure out what is going on with the MIL and MIA picks. I keep seeing people posting that we want this team or that team to win or lose, but I get it all tangled up. I'll just wait until the regular season is over and rely on you guys to tell me what picks we did or didn't get.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I honestly can't figure out what is going on with the MIL and MIA picks. I keep seeing people posting that we want this team or that team to win or lose, but I get it all tangled up. I'll just wait until the regular season is over and rely on you guys to tell me what picks we did or didn't get.
Part of the problem is we went from wantin Miami to lose because we have their pick to wanting them to win to make sure milwaukee's pick stayed low enough to transfer to us. The miami pick will be either 15/16/17. The only way we get the Milwaukee pick is if Milwaukee loses to philly and either Miami beats Orlando or Washington wins their last two games or both. Then there is either a coin flip to determine order or they use tie breakers.

I know they use coin flips for non playoff teams to break ties for draft order, does anyone know for sure about playoff teams? Seems strange that if Miami and Milwaukee tied and Miami got the 6th seed via tiebreaker that they could also win a coin flip and pick higher than Milwaukee.

Edit: Clippers were 4th seed over jazz last year with identical records and clippers still picked ahead of them. So coin flip it is for determining draft order.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

It's simple - They use tiebreakers for playoff position, coin flips for draft position.

They are completely separate from each other.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

I figured that out, just seems like they shouldn't be separate, at least in the case of playoff teams.

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/983765278017314816

We'll know how many picks we have on Friday. Or Wednesday if Milwaukee takes the 6th seed outright.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Also, I think it was mentioned that the heat play the magic. They actually play the Raptors... Milwaukee play Philly. Wizards play Celtics and Magic. Raptors may not have anything to play for, but it's still possible they can get home court in a potential finals matchup with GS, so they may actually have a lot to play for.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

How about this scenario: The Suns get the #1 pick, decide that the guy they want could be had at #3. Don't get the Mil pick this year and now can use the pick in a trade for a vet this summer. The Clips get the #3, trade us the #12 and a future to move to #1 to take whoever. The Suns then maybe get to move up with their 2 middle picks and get the 2 guys they are targeting. 2nd round are great draft and stash. Now, they use the assets of the futures to dump expiring deals and get youngish star vets maybe on the slight discount as teams are transitioning into full rebuilds. This also opens up more cap space, while the team's construction is looking 10× better for the present and long future, and be a major player in free agency this summer for the "right vets".
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think 12 is too low to get the guy we'd need. If the clips get 1, they're likely going after Doncic or Bagley. Maybe they take Ayton and flip DAJ.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It's a nice idea, but there's almost no chance the clips move up to 3. Someone should go hit the Sim lottery button at tankathon.com until the Suns land 1 and clips land 3

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:It's a nice idea, but there's almost no chance the clips move up to 3. Someone should go hit the Sim lottery button at tankathon.com until the Suns land 1 and clips land 3
Haha, it only takes one time to happen.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I tried tankathon and got Suns #1 and Clippers #2.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:I tried tankathon and got Suns #1 and Clippers #2.
Haha, touche! How many attempts?

Split T

Post by Split T »

On attempt 94, I got #1 Suns, #3 clippers. So it's possible!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:I tried tankathon and got Suns #1 and Clippers #2.
Haha, touche! How many attempts?
It felt like 200, haha.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I have a pretty clear top 10 and I don't think 15+16 will be enough to move into that range. Neither will Chriss + one of the picks. It wouldn't be the end of the world if the pick didn't convey.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:I have a pretty clear top 10 and I don't think 15+16 will be enough to move into that range. Neither will Chriss + one of the picks. It wouldn't be the end of the world if the pick didn't convey.
But not everyone has the same top 10. Someone you have in your top 10 will fall. The question is who the Suns have in their top 10

Split T

Post by Split T »

Tomorrow is gonna be a pretty crazy day:

Jazz vs Blazers for the 3 seed and getting to potentially play a banged up warriors team in round 2.

Nuggets vs Timberwolves in a loser goes home, winner gets in battle.

Pelicans vs Spurs, winner will be in a tie for 4/5/6, loser in a tie for 7/8.

This is all assuming OKC beats Memphis.

Sixers play bucks, win locks up the 3 seed and let's them avoid Toronto/Cleveland until the conference finals.

If bucks win, they lock up the 6 seed and keep their pick this year.
If bucks lose and either the wizards beat the magic or heat beat the raptors, there will be a coin flip to determine if the pick conveys to us.

Magic need to lose to stay in a tie for the 3rd best lottery position so wizards should win.

Raptors have clinched home court throughout playoffs against anyone not named the rockets and will probably rest against heat.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:How about this scenario: The Suns get the #1 pick, decide that the guy they want could be had at #3.
Funny, I've been thinking about trading out of the first pick if the Suns landed it.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:How about this scenario: The Suns get the #1 pick, decide that the guy they want could be had at #3.
Funny, I've been thinking about trading out of the first pick if the Suns landed it.
Can't see McD pulling that off if he gets number 1.