Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Drewsprocket

Re: Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Post by Drewsprocket »

Is it fair to think JJ is not fucking around with mild trades and additions?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:51 pm
My guess would be one of the protected picks the Knicks got from OKC in their Ousmane Dieng selection.

Edit: Guessed wrong. Burks is still plenty serviceable, so I suppose there's still player value in the deal. Not to mention Bobby Sarver's favorite player, Cash Considerations.
Ya, I guess maybe they figure they can flip them at the deadline again for another asset. Though I think at best they get another 2nd.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Here's my batshit idea I'd throw at Mark Cuban if I worked in the Mavs front office (and I really just wanted to help the Suns get KD).

1. Sign and trade Brunson to the Knicks with the goal of getting back the 1st round pick they sent to New York in the Porzingis trade.

2. Use the 2023 pick with Dwight Powell and Spencer Dinwiddie to get Kyrie Irving from the Nets.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:56 pm
Jae Crowder is really the only guy I think has both serious trade value and the Suns would be open to moving.

(Obviously besides Ayton on a 5-year max deal)
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:01 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Jae Crowder is really the only guy I think both has serious trade value and the Suns would be open to moving.

Wait, I thought Jeremy shared some info that you can't sign Ayton to a 5 year max and trade him in a S&T?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:05 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:01 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Jae Crowder is really the only guy I think both has serious trade value and the Suns would be open to moving.

Wait, I thought Jeremy shared some info that you can't sign Ayton to a 5 year max and trade him in a S&T?
Ah, right. Well, you know what I mean. An offer more than they want to pay him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:00 pm

Here's my batshit idea I'd throw at Mark Cuban if I worked in the Mavs front office (and I really just wanted to help the Suns get KD).

1. Sign and trade Brunson to the Knicks with the goal of getting back the 1st round pick they sent to New York in the Porzingis trade.

2. Use the 2023 pick with Dwight Powell and Spencer Dinwiddie to get Kyrie Irving from the Nets.
He’s unrestricted though, right? What would be the incentive for NY to give up anything? They can just sign him

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't think Ayton wanted to play in the same division as Giannis anyway.

(Cheap shot, but I don't care. 8-))

Indy

Post by Indy »

Only the Spurs can offer him a max, now. (The Knicks could, but they have signaled Brunson). Orlando is a few million away, and they could still clear it before Friday.

If the Spurs are serious at tanking for next year to get Wembanyama, then maybe they are out on him, too.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:11 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

He’s unrestricted though, right? What would be the incentive for NY to give up anything? They can just sign him
Shit. You're right. I can't keep this stuff straight anymore.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:13 pm
Only the Spurs can offer him a max, now. (The Knicks could, but they have signaled Brunson). Orlando is a few million away, and they could still clear it before Friday.

If the Spurs are serious at tanking for next year to get Wembanyama, then maybe they are out on him, too.
I don't think it'd be that hard to tank with Ayton as the best player.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:14 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:11 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Shit. You're right. I can't keep this stuff straight anymore.
Though I saw this, so maybe some incentive…not 1st round pick incentive though

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:12 pm

I don't think Ayton wanted to play in the same division as Giannis anyway.

(Cheap shot, but I don't care. 8-))
They could always withdraw the QO or sign him to a cheap deal that maintains cap space. But they are definitely out of the Ayton game as they don’t have max space anymore.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:15 pm
Indy wrote:

No, but they seem to be wanting to only take back picks or expiring contracts for Murray. So it doesn't look like adding a 4 year max-ish player to their team is what they want.

And do you sign a guy to that when a generational center is likely the #1 pick next year?
Last edited by Indy on Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:

What about OKC? Not that I think they would…At this point I think the threat of a max offer sheet is pretty much off the table. It’s sign and trade or we bring him back at an under max deal.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:22 pm
Indy wrote:

What about OKC? Not that I think they would…At this point I think the threat of a max offer sheet is pretty much off the table. It’s sign and trade or we bring him back at an under max deal.
From the tweet after the draft, they were not in the top 5 teams with cap space.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:21 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Indy wrote:

No, but they seem to be wanting to only take back picks or expiring contracts for Murray. So it doesn't look like adding a 4 year max-ish player to their team is what they want.

And do you sign a guy to that when a generational center is likely the #1 pick next year?
The spurs stuff is weird and makes me think Pop has decided to retire and SA is switching gears. They’ve been chasing mediocrity since Kawhi left and I’m not sure why they’d pivot now if Pop was staying on.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:23 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:22 pm
Indy wrote:

From the tweet after the draft, they were not in the top 5 teams with cap space.

Basketball-ref doesn’t have Kemba listed on their payroll for some reason and other sites do…that takes them from like 40 million down to 13 million.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:24 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:21 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Indy wrote:

The spurs stuff is weird and makes me think Pop has decided to retire and SA is switching gears. They’ve been chasing mediocrity since Kawhi left and I’m not sure why they’d pivot now if Pop was staying on.
I think it's too late in the off-season cycle for him to leave unless they're really going to tank because at that point it doesn't really matter when he steps down.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Unless they know they have his replacement on staff…or they are gonna go grab Becky Hammon