2018 Trade Deadline

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: 2018 Trade Deadline

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Heh, if you are going to do it, do it huge.

Kemba-Marvin-Howard for Monroe-Knight-Chandler-Chriss-pick.

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

Kemba NO!!!
everyone was saying Bledsoe didn't fit the timeline, now you want to replace him with someone the same age who makes us better, but not a contender, when all we have to do is suck a little bit more to compete for a top 3 pick with more potential???

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

n4th4n wrote:Hows about we help move Kemba to NY and take Frank back in exchange.
:D :D :D
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

If it's me, I think I wait until we see what pick we end up with before we look at getting Kemba. I like a couple PG in the draft better than I like Kemba. Don't hate Kemba. Just not sure he's the best fit and not a player I'd throw a ton of assets at just because he came available. I mean if I'd give them Monroe and a pick but only our GM is dumb enough to TAKE that deal.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

n4th4n wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Re: Kemba.

I don't love the fit with Booker or the short window it gives us to build a competitive team before his contract is up. Also, adding Walker would sink us even lower in the 2018 lotto, while not giving us a real chance of making the playoffs.

If it costs us basically Chriss and another non premium asset, I'd be really tempted, but that's probably too little.

I also fear Walker would be exposed some in the West, kind of what happens with Teague.

Your first three paragraphs are the same sentiments people made about Kyrie. Let’s not chicken out because he may leave in 2 years. If we can’t put together a good team that’ll entice him to stay in 2 years then forget it Booker is definitely gone too.

And no, I don’t think Kemba is as good as Kyrie.

And yes, I’m bringing that up again.
If we trade for Kemba and resign him in two years, we are essentially locked into a team in which Booker and Kemba as our core. They will consume over 50% of our cap. Is that core good enough to be anything other than to finish as a 4 seed for a year or two before Kemba drops off and his contract becomes an albatross? I don't think so. Kemba has been good enough to get his team... 2 more wins than the Suns right now. The Hornets chronically underperform. Plus, I don't want to do anything that makes us better this year. Adding a real difference make through the draft on a cost-controlled contract is exactly what we need if we legitimately want high-level sustained success.

The more I think about it, the more I'd rather be the third team in this trade, using the Monroe expiring to facilitate while extracting assets. We can make big moves after that draft. Kemba is not the player to go all-in on.
We have been the absolute JOKE of the NBA for 7 years now. Are you kidding me? I would LOVE to be the 4th seed right now!

This team is NOT bad enough to get a real difference maker through the draft. We're the dumbest organization in the NBA. We can't get out of our own way. The fan base is just as short-sighted as the organization! We don't want to lose and suck enough to get a first or second pick, but at the same time we don't want to acquire talent in hopes of continuing to suck to get a star player through the draft.

We have talent that is just good enough to stay out of the top 1-2, but overall is G-league material. Your'e talking about adding a player who is still young and would immediately become our best or second-best player on the team.

You'd still have a young trio of Chriss/Bender, Warren, Jackson and we'd still have a collection of picks to turn around and trade for another star.

Say we could somehow recruit Anthony Davis or KAT to pair with them.

Walker-Booker-Warren-Bender-Davis/KAT

Have to start somewhere. You're not recruiting any big names until you have at least a core ready to plug-and-go. And if we're not good in the next year or two, Booker is going to dart so fast to LA, Minny, NY, Boston or Philly and I wouldn't blame him one bit.

Yes, yes I would do it.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

He's a top-20 player according to RPM, above Kyrie Irving. If he's available, you have to do it. Walker / Booker / Warren is enough to ensure a good offense. Right now, we really only have 2 players who are capable of going off for 20 any given night.

Monroe has to be part of the deal. Bender and Chriss have low value. Lots of contracts with 2 years left. To keep our draft picks, we'd have to take back Batum for Dudley and Chandler or something.

Split T

Post by Split T »

FWIW, ESPN insider has an article with 6 possible Kemba trades, almost all of them focus exclusively on getting Charlotte cap relief. The only one that gives them back much value is one with Cleveland for the Brooklyn pick.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Phoenix Suns
Hornets get: Guard Tyler Ulis, forwards Dragan Bender and Jared Dudley, centers Greg Monroe and Alan Williams

Suns get: Guards Michael Carter-Williams, Julyan Stone and Kemba Walker, centers Dwight Howard and Johnny O'Bryant

View this deal in the ESPN Trade Machine

Like Indiana, Phoenix could offer Charlotte major cap relief in the form of Monroe's $17.9 million expiring contract and a non-guarantee on Williams' 2018-19 salary. As compared to the Pacers, the Suns have more young talent to sweeten an offer. I've included 2016 No. 4 overall pick Dragan Bender here, but fellow 2016 lottery pick Marquese Chriss would fit too, or Phoenix could offer Miami's 2018 first-round pick.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

specialsauce wrote:
n4th4n wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

I don't love the fit with Booker or the short window it gives us to build a competitive team before his contract is up. Also, adding Walker would sink us even lower in the 2018 lotto, while not giving us a real chance of making the playoffs.

If it costs us basically Chriss and another non premium asset, I'd be really tempted, but that's probably too little.

I also fear Walker would be exposed some in the West, kind of what happens with Teague.

Your first three paragraphs are the same sentiments people made about Kyrie. Let’s not chicken out because he may leave in 2 years. If we can’t put together a good team that’ll entice him to stay in 2 years then forget it Booker is definitely gone too.

If we trade for Kemba and resign him in two years, we are essentially locked into a team in which Booker and Kemba as our core. They will consume over 50% of our cap. Is that core good enough to be anything other than to finish as a 4 seed for a year or two before Kemba drops off and his contract becomes an albatross? I don't think so. Kemba has been good enough to get his team... 2 more wins than the Suns right now. The Hornets chronically underperform. Plus, I don't want to do anything that makes us better this year. Adding a real difference make through the draft on a cost-controlled contract is exactly what we need if we legitimately want high-level sustained success.

The more I think about it, the more I'd rather be the third team in this trade, using the Monroe expiring to facilitate while extracting assets. We can make big moves after that draft. Kemba is not the player to go all-in on.
We have been the absolute JOKE of the NBA for 7 years now. Are you kidding me? I would LOVE to be the 4th seed right now!

This team is NOT bad enough to get a real difference maker through the draft. We're the dumbest organization in the NBA. We can't get out of our own way. The fan base is just as short-sighted as the organization! We don't want to lose and suck enough to get a first or second pick, but at the same time we don't want to acquire talent in hopes of continuing to suck to get a star player through the draft.

We have talent that is just good enough to stay out of the top 1-2, but overall is G-league material. Your'e talking about adding a player who is still young and would immediately become our best or second-best player on the team.

You'd still have a young trio of Chriss/Bender, Warren, Jackson and we'd still have a collection of picks to turn around and trade for another star.

Have to start somewhere. You're not recruiting any big names until you have at least a core ready to plug-and-go. And if we're not good in the next year or two, Booker is going to dart so fast to LA, Minny, NY, Boston or Philly and I wouldn't blame him one bit.

Yes, yes I would do it.
I agree with you on most of these points. Except for the idea that we are not bad enough to secure a top pick. I think its almost certain we are going to finish in the bottom 6 at which point anything is possible. That pick is the last piece we need before we really start making moves. You only trade for Kemba if you have absolutely no qualms about paying him 25mill + per year through 2023. Stars become available frequently in this league. Just look at the last 12 calendar months. We can add a potential star this summer while maintaining all our current assets and flexibility. We should make our move after that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Other offers were from Cleveland: IT/Frye and the Brooklyn pick for Kemba and o'bryant

Indiana: collison, Jefferson, bogdonavich, and a 1st for Kemba and Dwight

Detroit: Reggie Jackson, Stanley Johnson, ellenson, tolliver and "draft picks" for Kemba + Marvin

Knicks: Baker, Jack, Ntilikina for Kemba

Jazz; hood, Rubio, favors, 1st for Kemba, lamb, Marvin.

carey

Post by carey »

Where is all this Kemba shit coming from?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

carey wrote:Where is all this Kemba shit coming from?
And don't say "His ass."
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

carey wrote:
carey wrote:Where is all this Kemba s*** coming from?
And don't say "His ass."
His butt.

:D

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

djy2j wrote:If it's me, I think I wait until we see what pick we end up with before we look at getting Kemba. I like a couple PG in the draft better than I like Kemba. Don't hate Kemba. Just not sure he's the best fit and not a player I'd throw a ton of assets at just because he came available. I mean if I'd give them Monroe and a pick but only our GM is dumb enough to TAKE that deal.
There is also this little difference between 'I dont want to be here' and 'I would definitely be devastated if I was to get traded'.

The time to trade Bledsoe was before the season started. Or the deadline last year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:Where is all this Kemba s*** coming from?
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2215 ... mba-walker

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

n4th4n wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
n4th4n wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Yes, yes I would do it.
I agree with you on most of these points. Except for the idea that we are not bad enough to secure a top pick. I think its almost certain we are going to finish in the bottom 6 at which point anything is possible. That pick is the last piece we need before we really start making moves. You only trade for Kemba if you have absolutely no qualms about paying him 25mill + per year through 2023. Stars become available frequently in this league. Just look at the last 12 calendar months. We can add a potential star this summer while maintaining all our current assets and flexibility. We should make our move after that.
Fair, if you just don’t like Kemba enough to pay him that amount of money that is something I can’t argue.

I am not good with the 6th-10th pick in this draft. I rather want Bagley, Ayton, Doncic, Young......or to trade the pick for a star. If we end up with another player the same overrated caliber of Chriss, Bender, Jackson , I’ll be so tired of this organization that will be the last straw. Nothing against those players as they couldn’t control where they were drafted, but the amount of hype from the organization is disgusting for the level of players they are.

TOO

Post by TOO »

No interest in Kemba. Not moving our lotto pick for anyone personally, not in this draft. I don't think Kemba moves the needle for us, he's a lateral move from when we had Bledsoe, he's not a great facilitator, we'd basically have Portlands backcourt, meh.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I don't think the Suns would give up their pick, and I also don't think he's a lateral move to Bledsoe. I think Kemba is better than Bledsoe, especially spreading the floor.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

I think Kemba is an ok player, not great at anything in particular, not a great shooter/passer/defender etc. He scores, not all that efficient, just no interest.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

He's not the best player or pg in the league, but he's pretty darn good. PER is 20.4 this year, which is slightly down from last season, but it's better than ok.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass