Suns News: Week 25 4/2-4/10

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Suns News: Week 25 4/2-4/10

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:...I halfway agree with ...with the Booker situation we kinda have to do it this year.
I get the halfway. But today you need a magnetic star and a winning situation to attract a consolidated star. You have to make a first push, then keep enough flexibility and assets to throw another blow at the market. Kawhi in 2019 could see with good eyes a team where he shares time with Booker, Jackson, '18 and a high profile player from this next offseason. You manage to keep a couple of extra picks and your own, plus a couple of expiring contracts and you can do something happen via sign and trade (or a trade-after-sing aka buyer's remorse like in Griffin's case).

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I know this is a pipedream, but I hope management doesn't cave into the pressure and just start adding and trading for mediocre veterans just to say they're "accelerating the process."

Building a championship team can't be accelerated. Just make calculated moves, stayed disciplined, and put a roster together that makes sense.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:I know this is a pipedream, but I hope management doesn't cave into the pressure and just start adding and trading for mediocre veterans just to say they're "accelerating the process."

Building a championship team can't be accelerated. Just make calculated moves, stayed disciplined, and put a roster together that makes sense.
Agreed, but I am cautiously optimistic they will do that.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

INFORMER wrote:I know this is a pipedream, but I hope management doesn't cave into the pressure and just start adding and trading for mediocre veterans just to say they're "accelerating the process."

“Accelerating the process” means moves that help in the short term, but do more harm than good in the long term. If you expect a move to do more good than harm in the long term, you don’t call it accelerating the process, you just call it a good move.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
carey wrote:The thing about Booker asking for a trade... he's only in his 3rd year. How many players start demanding s*** like that before their rookie deal is even done? Hell, Jordan and LeBron didn't even pull a stunt like that.
Very different times. Today everybody is aware of what tanking is and strategies that involve not doing all you can to win now are maligned. Booker fully belongs to the social media culture. He sees everybody bad mouthing the Suns for tanking, he hears people downplaying his amazing and precocious achievements because he is on a tanking team. And he is fully aware that the only way he is going to get accolades is by winning.

This 'demand greatness from your club' totally has legs and if we are not careful he is not going to keep taking futile seasons just because. This kid is a winner and the franchise better be up for the task of surrounding him with legitimate talent to start making real noise starting this next season.

He sees how the draft has delivered a stiff (Len) and two flops (2016); Jackson has a real chance and Warren is nice, but there is literally nothing else. He also has had to suffer a coach neglect him because he was a rookie and a glorified babysitter. The kid is a winner and has maturity well beyond his age. This is not your typical spoiled brat demanding prominency (Kobe) or money for himslef or his guys (Carter).

They better not mess this up. The Suns are primed for a radical change of approach and I can't fault Booker for wanting it and being politely public about it. Don't mess it up.
I got you, but at the same time, he is weakening the bargaining power of his team, and it could lead to a self fulfilling prophecy with teams and players trying to take advantage of a wide open All-in summer, and agents and different-makers hesitating to do business here until Devin signs an extension. Just playing Devils advocate.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

THIS.

Devin and McD can paint themselves in a corner by running their mouth so big. Speculation about Booker’s extension have already started, and the kid would be subjected to this question all summer “After your request of significant moves this summer, are this moves worthy of your signature?”. And I can easily see the FO overpaying for an “stablished star” (How does “Phoenix trades for Carmelo Anthony” sounds to you?)

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:I got you, but at the same time, he is weakening the bargaining power of his team, and it could lead to a self fulfilling prophecy with teams and players trying to take advantage of a wide open All-in summer, and agents and different-makers hesitating to do business here until Devin signs an extension. Just playing Devils advocate.
I get this too, but I am not scared of this scenario. Everybody tries to take advantage of everything all the time. If word comes out that PHX is back in the winning business, this opens up oppotunities as well. We'll see what happens.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Speculation about Booker's extension is a consequence of how the Suns handled Markief, Bledsoe, and our less notable guys. Very few players have left the Suns in good standing during Sarver's tenure.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:

THIS.

Devin and McD can paint themselves in a corner by running their mouth so big. Speculation about Booker’s extension have already started, and the kid would be subjected to this question all summer “After your request of significant moves this summer, are this moves worthy of your signature?”. And I can easily see the FO overpaying for an “stablished star” (How does “Phoenix trades for Carmelo Anthony” sounds to you?)
He’s on an expiring contract now so I wouldn’t mind acquiring him if it means we’re sending Brandon Knight back the other way.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

O_Gardino wrote:Speculation about Booker's extension is a consequence of how the Suns handled Markief, Bledsoe, and our less notable guys. Very few players have left the Suns in good standing during Sarver's tenure.
I think saying McDonough’s tenure is more accurate.

And you forgot Dragic but yeah.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

UglyTruth wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:

THIS.

He’s on an expiring contract now so I wouldn’t mind acquiring him if it means we’re sending Brandon Knight back the other way.
Knowing the Suns he’d play 4 games for us, average 18 points, get injured for the season and we’d max him out for 4 years

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

UglyTruth wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:

THIS.

I would, since it would mean another lost year and lots of unnecesary Melo-drama, with the only positive that could come out of it is the chance this move also leads to Booker signing his extension. If not, we are screwed.

Brandon at least makes less waves and would become a more movable contract as well.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:Speculation about Booker's extension is a consequence of how the Suns handled Markief, Bledsoe, and our less notable guys. Very few players have left the Suns in good standing during Sarver's tenure.
I refuse to believe that Booker will leave the max contract on the table and become a restricted free agent. Even so, we have the right to match any offer, correct?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Booker named to the USA men's national team roster:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 493740002/

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The hand wringing over Booker's extension is pure silliness. And the speculation that he wouldn't return is wishful thinking on other team's fans.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:The hand wringing over Booker's extension is pure silliness. And the speculation that he wouldn't return is wishful thinking on other team's fans.
Thank you!

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
I refuse to believe that Booker will leave the max contract on the table and become a restricted free agent. Even so, we have the right to match any offer, correct?
I think that's right. I don't think we lose Booker anytime soon. I'm just commenting on the source of the speculation.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

UglyTruth wrote:
I think saying McDonough’s tenure is more accurate.

And you forgot Dragic but yeah.
It's really not about McD. Don't forget Joe Johnson, Raja, Shaq, etc etc.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I think that's right. I don't think we lose Booker anytime soon. I'm just commenting on the source of the speculation.
I did more reading and he would be a restricted free agent in the 2019 offseason with the potential to be an unrestricted free agent in 2020 if he were to sign the 1 year qualifying offer. Not happening!

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If Booker were ever to want to leave us, he wouldn't do it by refusing to sign. He'd do it by signing here for a max contract, then publicly complaining and demanding a trade.