2018 NBA Finals

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: 2018 NBA Finals

Post by O_Gardino »

Well, he's not on the Suns, so he wont get penalized.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Looks like you're right

https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixYS/status/1002552343571943425

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:50 am
Looks like you're right

Stoudemire and Diaw were far from the altercation too. So what?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think the "in recent years" part is key for Diaw and Amare

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Everybody is destroying JR Smith for that last play. But how about George Hill for blowing the free throw that probably would have won Cleveland the game?

I also see people mad about a reviewed call to change a charge by Durant into a block by Lebron. I have a pretty strong bias toward "get the call right." Folks are lawyering up and saying that they shouldn't have been able to review it. I don't care much about that. If it's the last two minutes and an important call, I don't mind if the refs review it. They changed it from the wrong call to the right call. Why are people arguing that they should have left it as the wrong call? Why be such a stickler for what can be reviewed when the original call was a blown call? If you're being a stickler for silly rules, do you want them to suspend Kevin Love for taking 1-2 steps on the court during a tiny altercation? If not, why not?

Lebron had such a dominant performance. It was really something to watch. I have also really liked Nance Jr in these playoffs. Surprised that he hasn't played more. He's so athletic and seems to be everywhere on the court for them. Kind of like a poor man's Marion or something.

I also really liked the way Javale McGee played. I have been wondering why the Warriors didn't play him more. I think his length and rim protection can really bother the other team, and he is a decent finisher, too. He hilariously blew one layup, but I think he could be useful in bench minutes for them.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:50 am
Looks like you're right

Of course NOW they're going to exercise common sense. [Superbone lays out a banshee yell.]
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

As far as JR shooting at the wrong basket, isn't that one of those things where you think you've won and you just heave the ball at the wrong basket after the buzzer sounds?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

My issue with the changing the charge to a block rule. So the only way it is reviewable is if you are reviewing whether the player was in the restricted area or not and then if you happen to notice the actual call was wrong, you can change it. Why can't you just review the call to begin with? And you know those plays where they are reviewing who it went out of bounds on and it turns out it went off the offensive player, but only because there was an obvious foul on the defense that the refs missed? Why can't they change those calls? This replay rule seems a bit like an outlier

Also, Block/charge is a subjective call and I think going and watching a slow motion replay changes how you view it. If they're gonna review subjective calls, they should have to watch at game speed.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I thought it was a charge in real time and I thought it was a charge in replay. Them changing it was a mistake in my opinion. Lebron's left foot had established position and was stable. He wasn't moving left anymore.

There is a rule in the NBA where if two officials disagree on the call that it could be ruled as a charge and a block at the same time. Then they just tip it up at half court and resume play like nothing happened. At least that would have been a better outcome then changing the call in my opinion.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:05 am
Everybody is destroying JR Smith for that last play. But how about George Hill for blowing the free throw that probably would have won Cleveland the game?

I also see people mad about a reviewed call to change a charge by Durant into a block by Lebron. I have a pretty strong bias toward "The Warriors." Folks are lawyering up and saying that they shouldn't have been able to review it. I don't care much about that. If it's the last two minutes and an important call, I don't mind if the refs review it. They changed it from the wrong call to the right call. Why are people arguing that they should have left it as the wrong call? Why be such a stickler for what can be reviewed when the original call was a blown call? If you're being a stickler for silly rules, do you want them to suspend Kevin Love for taking 1-2 steps on the court during a tiny altercation? If not, why not?

Lebron had such a dominant performance. It was really something to watch. I have also really liked Nance Jr in these playoffs. Surprised that he hasn't played more. He's so athletic and seems to be everywhere on the court for them. Kind of like a poor man's Marion or something.

I also really liked the way Javale McGee played. I have been wondering why the Warriors didn't play him more. I think his length and rim protection can really bother the other team, and he is a decent finisher, too. He hilariously blew one layup, but I think he could be useful in bench minutes for them.

Fixed that for you.

Rules are rules. They are not supposed to change that call, only to look and see if in restricted area. If that’s what they want to do, they should change the rule.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:36 am
Also, interesting thing to keep an eye on, Kevin Love took a step or two onto the court during that little skirmish at the end
He should absolutely be suspended. Is this even a question from Phoenix of all places? They should have changed that stupid rule years ago, but they haven’t. So he should be suspended. And I want the Cavs to win

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I also don't think Love should be suspended. He was coming out to argue the call before the skirmish even started and as soon as it did and he was already on the court, he walked back to the bench.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:51 am
I also don't think Love should be suspended. He was coming out to argue the call before the skirmish even started and as soon as it did and he was already on the court, he walked back to the bench.
This is exactly what the league decided.

Fair enough.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:05 am

I also see people mad about a reviewed call to change a charge by Durant into a block by Lebron. I have a pretty strong bias toward "get the call right." Folks are lawyering up and saying that they shouldn't have been able to review it. I don't care much about that. If it's the last two minutes and an important call, I don't mind if the refs review it. They changed it from the wrong call to the right call. Why are people arguing that they should have left it as the wrong call? Why be such a stickler for what can be reviewed when the original call was a blown call? If you're being a stickler for silly rules, do you want them to suspend Kevin Love for taking 1-2 steps on the court during a tiny altercation? If not, why not?

I think giving the Warriors 5 seconds to score at least one point is not a recipe to win a game. So, no, I don't think Cavs probably win in that 2nd FT goes in. THe best chance was for JR to call a time out.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Man if you happen to grab that rebound you need to put a shot up no matter what. If you score and the Warriors make another basket, so be it. Guy was dumb beyond belief. Sounds like an overreaction, but this could end up being the difference in LeBron's place in History.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:32 pm
Man if you happen to grab that rebound you need to put a shot up no matter what. If you score and the Warriors make another basket, so be it. Guy was dumb beyond belief. Sounds like an overreaction, but this could end up being the difference in LeBron's place in History.
It could end up being the difference if the series goes 7. I’m guessing it won’t.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I just don't understand why the Cavs continue to play JR Smith. He may be the dumbest player in the entire league.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Cap wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:36 pm
It could end up being the difference if the series goes 7. I’m guessing it won’t.
This was more than just one game, or a regular game one. If LeBron wins while dropping 51, the Warriors become mortal and we have a real series. The psychological aspect of the game matter a lot and now CLE is dead inside for sure. And they are not getting anything out of their coach, so they are on their own and blatantly letting down LeBron. LeBron is iron but I bet his teammates can't remove from their heads the fact that they can't win even if their monster has the game of his life.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:50 pm
I just don't understand why the Cavs continue to play JR Smith. He may be the dumbest player in the entire league.
He actually has stiff competition on the Warrios with Javale and Nick Young hahaah.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:52 pm
Cap wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:36 pm
This was more than just one game, or a regular game one. If LeBron wins while dropping 51, the Warriors become mortal and we have a real series. The psychological aspect of the game matter a lot and now CLE is dead inside for sure. And they are not getting anything out of their coach, so they are on their own and blatantly letting down LeBron. LeBron is iron but I bet his teammates can't remove from their heads the fact that they can't win even if their monster has the game of his life.
That was how I saw it too. You saw the entire Cavs team hang their heads in the OT because they knew it was over. They had their chance, grabbed the ring, and then dropped it into the abyss. It was crazy to watch. I only stuck around for about 2.5 minutes of OT then headed to bed.

I used to really hate LeBron. Now I am just amazed. Even when he is dominating a game, he doesn't show-boat like nearly every guy on GS. I have watched almost every one of his games this post season, and it is awesome. I actually root for him, but not Cleveland as a city, or most of the guys around him. That is weird for me, because I usually root for under-dogs, or a team that I like as a collection of players. Neither fit with LeBron.