Around the League: Week 24 (3/26 - 4/2)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Around the League: Week 24 (3/26 - 4/2)

Post by ShelC »

I mean...sheesh

Split T

Post by Split T »

Warriors losing to Spurs…They gonna try and avoid us?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

NBA, NBPA agree on new 7-year collective bargaining agreement

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/360 ... -agreement
The NBA and National Basketball Players Association have agreed on a new seven-year collective bargaining agreement, clearing the way for labor peace through this decade, sources told ESPN on Friday night. The deal, which starts with the 2023-24 season, includes a mutual opt-out after the sixth year, sources said.

The agreement landed just past a midnight ET deadline -- which both sides agreed to extend -- early Saturday, when the league had indicated it would exercise an early opt-out of the current CBA before the 2023-24 season. NBA commissioner Adam Silver, NBPA executive director Tameka Tremaglio and negotiators on both sides -- including the NBA's Dan Rube and the union's Ron Klempner -- hammered out remaining details on the agreement, sources said.

After two extensions of the early opt-out deadline, the league's negotiations with Tremaglio and new NBPA president CJ McCollum delivered a deal months ahead of a possible work stoppage.

Both the owners and players are expected to ratify the agreement in the near future, but among the key initial elements of the deal described to ESPN:

The NBA is curbing the ability of the highest-spending teams, such as the Golden State Warriors and the LA Clippers, to continue running up salary and luxury tax spending while still maintaining mechanisms to add talent to the roster. The NBA is implementing a second salary cap apron -- $17.5 million over the tax line -- and those teams will no longer have access to the taxpayer mid-level in free agency. Those changes will be eased into the salary cap over a period of years.

Under these changes, Golden State's Donte DiVincenzo, Milwaukee's Joe Ingles, Boston's Danilo Gallinari and former Clippers guard John Wall wouldn't have been able to sign with those teams last summer.

As a counter to those spending limitations, the new CBA is expected to create more spending and trade opportunities for teams at the middle and lower spectrum of spending. There will be an opening of more opportunities in the free agent market, including larger trade exceptions.

In an attempt to curb load management and lost games among star players, the NBA is tying eligibility for postseason awards -- such as All-NBA teams and MVP -- to a mandatory 65 games played. The 65-game minimum does come with some conditions.

The in-season tournament will arrive beginning in the 2023-24 season. The event will include pool-play games baked into the regular-season schedule starting in November -- with eight teams advancing to a single-elimination tournament in December. The Final Four will be held at a neutral site, with Las Vegas prominent in the discussion, sources said.

Each in-season tournament game would count toward regular-season standings; the two finalists would ultimately play 83 regular-season games. Winning players and coaches will earn additional prize money.

The NBA and NBPA have agreed to increase the upper limits on extensions from a 120% increase on a current deal to 140%, which could have a significant impact on the futures of stars like Celtics forward Jaylen Brown

Under the current rules, Brown would be allowed to sign a four-year extension worth $165 million. With the extension rules increased to 140%, however, Brown -- who is set to earn $31.8 million in the 2023-24 season, the final year of his current contract -- would be able to reach his four-year maximum of $189 million, according to ESPN's Bobby Marks.

Similarly, Sacramento Kings All-Star center Domantas Sabonis could currently sign a four-year, $111 million extension -- one that jumps up to $121 million with the increase to 140%.

There is an increase in two-way contract slots, jumping from two to three per team. Two-way contracts were created in the 2017 collective bargaining agreement as a vehicle for teams to develop younger players. It has been seen as a success, as it's become a route to players earning long-term homes in the league, and in several cases becoming major contributors.

Some of the biggest success stories to emerge from the two-way pipeline include: Austin Reaves and Alex Caruso with the Los Angeles Lakers; Duncan Robinson and Max Strus with the Miami Heat; Anthony Lamb with the Warriors; Jose Alvarado with the New Orleans Pelicans; and Luguentz Dort with the Oklahoma City Thunder.

ESPN's Tim Bontemps and Bobby Marks contributed to this report.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Some really significant stuff in the new CBA, and I think I like all of it. Best of all, there won't be a work stoppage.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Not exactly pocket change even for superstars.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I just don't get why fans care about a tournament? And would someone making $30-40mil really care about an extra $500K?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:30 am
I just don't get why fans care about a tournament? And would someone making $30-40mil really care about an extra $500K?
Agreed. The whole thing is weird.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:30 am
I think it’s kinda cool. We fret over random games in the middle of the season all the time, we’d definitely care about a midseason tournament. And 500k may not be the biggest deal for KD or Book, but it would be massive for the Okogies of the league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I like all of it except the in-season tournament. It's in December? That seems way too early. Nobody is even watching the NBA by then. And what's the point? Money is nice but I think the teams would care a lot more if it mattered in terms of the standings or playoff seeding or lottery or something.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'll try to be patient with some of you seasoned gents. ;)

Someone tell me the downside of the in-season tournament. I don't think there's a single negative aspect of it all, and this is entertainment after all.

Salary is insignificant, IMO. $500K for about 8(?) games is a serious bonus for anyone in the league. None of them would turn it down, and in the rare case it's mostly insignificant to them, they'd want to win it for their teammates. It may take a few years to work out, but it will ultimately be a great addition for both the NBA and basketball fans.

All due respect, stop trying to poke holes in it and look at from the most basic level. It's making otherwise meaningless games in Nov.-Jan. meaningful. And even if you're a grump who hates change, it's still a tiny fraction of the regular schedule.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:00 am
I like all of it except the in-season tournament. It's in December? That seems way too early. Nobody is even watching the NBA by then. And what's the point? Money is nice but I think the teams would care a lot more if it mattered in terms of the standings or playoff seeding or lottery or something.
That’s exactly why they are putting it in December, to get viewers. You’ve got to also realize that they are going to start with the most basic form of it as sort of a trial. It will expand and the incentives will change as needed. I would like it to have a bigger impact eventually on the standings/playoffs. I’d also like to see it be 16 teams.

My thought would be to expand the league to 32 teams, 4 divisions of 8 teams. Play a home and away against every division opponent(14 games) and then take the top 4 from each division and seed them in the single elimination tourney. Sweet 16 and Elite 8 rounds would count as normal, but I’d have the final four and championship game count as two wins each.

You could even have the teams that don’t make the tourney play their own losers bracket tourney. But the games wouldn’t count double.

Split T

Post by Split T »

And some advanced stats say he’s the best defender in basketball.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Pretty sure that list before 2013 includes Luc Longley and Tom Gugliotta.

Without sounding disrespectful, I honestly don't get it with Jokic. Nice player, nice numbers, his teams win in the regular season...?
Last edited by ShelC on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’s conveniently had the excuse that his team hasn’t been healthy. Still he got steamrolled by both the suns and warriors. No excuse this year. To be fair, I think he’s a fantastic player, but his poor defense gets exploited in the playoffs. I will be surprised if Denver is even in the WCF this year. I’d be less surprised with them losing in round 1

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL.

TOO

Post by TOO »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:51 am

Without sounding disrespectful, I honestly don't get it with Jokic. Nice player, nice numbers, his teams win in the regular season...?
Oh dear. You're now every non suns fan talking about Steve Nash.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

TOO wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:31 pm
ShelC wrote:

Uh except he led his team to the WCF numerous times.

Jokic is tremendously overrated. Not only is he not MVP, I wouldn’t max him even. He’s so easily exploitable on defense and he can’t win in the postseason. No one is afraid of Denver

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:14 pm
TOO wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:31 pm
ShelC wrote:

Uh except he led his team to the WCF numerous times.

Jokic is tremendously overrated. Not only is he not MVP, I wouldn’t max him even. He’s so easily exploitable on defense and he can’t win in the postseason. No one is afraid of Denver
In a world where Ayton is maxed, I couldn't disagree more. Jokic is a max contract player but his GM and coach need to build a roster to offset his defensive deficiencies. To argue he isn't one of the most rounded and gifted offensive players is overseeing his value.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I love Jokic. If he were on your team, or if you watched him play regularly, you'd fall in love and devoutly defend him. He's just a wonderful player. Not a great defender, sure, but the way he runs their offense is spectacular to watch.