Monty Williams Fired

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Democritus

Re: Monty Williams Fired

Post by Democritus »

Monty for Lue? Is that even feasible, can you trade HC's ? :mrgreen:
How did Doug Rivers became Clippers coach? I remember vaguely that he was under contract elsewhere ??
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Split T

Post by Split T »

They traded for him. 1st round pick was the price

JJ Slim

Post by JJ Slim »

Nodack wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 12:31 am
Monty being gone doesn’t surprise me. Booker and Durant are safe. Everyone else isn’t safe imo.
I wasn't going to come back here until next season starts as I hate all the trade scenarios. But this is a big deal.

I agree with you Nodack but I will add that Ayton may be safe too at least for another year. My reasoning is that the Suns finally got a #1 pick in their 50+ years and got a true big man with that pick. You can't just toss that away. Coaches come and go. I think it would be worth it to give another coach a chance to light a fire under his ass and show him the way to greatness. Others have said that maybe Ayton just needs a change of scenery and he might do better somewhere else. Well having a new coach might be the same thing. I would rather give him the chance and hope he reaches his potential here instead of someplace else.

One more thing. No more Frank Johnson types!

I had to come back to edit. I have faith in Ishbia. He wants to win and seems ready to spend to do it. I think he has a plan and just needs time to put it in place. The quick addition of Durant and firing of Williams I believe are evidence of this. I didn't like the way Sarver was forced out but I'm glad he is gone.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I'm sad to see Monty go. This, like the KD trade, seems like something over reactionary from a new owner. I think the KD move is understandable (even if I would have waited for the off season to reassess), but unless you know who you're going with already... It's the type of thing that makes me worried that Izzo or Thomas are on a very short list somewhere.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

I liked Monty and was a frequent apologist- although I hated our bench rotations. My main hope is that Book and KD are ok with this. I disliked our offense this post season- specifically the lack of adjustments to free up KD. So long as Ishbia wants to put his stamp on this team, he better pair KD and Book with a solid roster that isn’t going to embarrass itself. Next year, he will be the one to blame.
When was the last time a coach left his team to play for another?

JJ Slim

Post by JJ Slim »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 6:22 am
My main hope is that Book and KD are ok with this.
Wasn't one of the big reasons KD wanted to come to Phoenix was to play for Williams? The other obviously was to pair with Booker.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If we hire Isiah Thomas as our new head coach, so help me, ...

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

My fear is he is "helping" Ishbia behind the scenes.
I hope Mat don't make the same mistakes Sarver did in his beginning.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He's absolutely giving Ishbia his opinion on things, if not advising in some capacity. He'll be on his usual "I was a star, I can relate to these guys" or "I ran an organization, I know what needs to be done" BS. He ran his course with Dolan, now he's siding up to the new, young, rich owner.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

JJ Slim wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 5:30 am
Nodack wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 12:31 am
Monty being gone doesn’t surprise me. Booker and Durant are safe. Everyone else isn’t safe imo.
I wasn't going to come back here until next season starts as I hate all the trade scenarios. But this is a big deal.

I agree with you Nodack but I will add that Ayton may be safe too at least for another year. My reasoning is that the Suns finally got a #1 pick in their 50+ years and got a true big man with that pick. You can't just toss that away. Coaches come and go. I think it would be worth it to give another coach a chance to light a fire under his ass and show him the way to greatness. Others have said that maybe Ayton just needs a change of scenery and he might do better somewhere else. Well having a new coach might be the same thing. I would rather give him the chance and hope he reaches his potential here instead of someplace else.

One more thing. No more Frank Johnson types!

I had to come back to edit. I have faith in Ishbia. He wants to win and seems ready to spend to do it. I think he has a plan and just needs time to put it in place. The quick addition of Durant and firing of Williams I believe are evidence of this. I didn't like the way Sarver was forced out but I'm glad he is gone.
You and me both on talking trade scenario’s. During the season I hate talking trade scenarios. So annoying. The season is over and now is the time I guess. We still have zero input so, it’s basically just guys talking.

I really wanted Ayton to be worthy of the #1 pick and his max contract. Maybe a new coach motivates him. I think people like Booker and KD don’t need to be coached into having a drive to succeed. Booker and KD live and breathe basketball. I don’t see the fire in Ayton. He has skills and size. No fire. His basketball IQ seems to be at a low level. Is he good? Yes. Has he been a worthy #1 pick and a worthy max contract guy? Not to me. He has been a major disappointment.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I love talking trade scenarios haha

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

To each his own as they say. Basketball talk is entertainment. If it entertains you then do it my friend.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 9:32 am
I love talking trade scenarios haha
I for one genuinely appreciate your trade scenarios and time you put into cooking them up. Keep it up :)

carey

Post by carey »

Could we possibly lure Brad Stevens back to the bench?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Oh boy

Isiah Thomas you are the next GM/Head Coach of the Phoenix Suns.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Maybe he's got the Golden Touch and he'll make all the right moves. Maybe he's rich know-it-all messing with a good thing after 2 weeks on the job and will begin installing his buddies who will start hiring their buddies.

It's just weird after all the success we've had the past 3 years with Jones and Monty, fans are acting like it's some fluke or they got lucky and failed upwards. Or they act like this is success is the norm for us and we're entitled to a championship already.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Well fuck, this is the one thing I didn't want, Ishbia to go all Cuban, not gonna end well.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 6:44 pm
I bet the final nail in the coffin was starting Landry Shamet in an elimination game.
No, it's more likely it was just the blowout. In the grand scheme of things, starting Shamet over Okogie or Craig isn't good, but it isn't that huge of a deal.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 7:04 pm
But what do we have to offer the Clippers? It seems like it would take a first round draft pick or something.
Exactly. I don't see how it gets done.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 7:20 pm
I think Book is done with Ayton too
You're probably right.