NBA In-Season Tournament

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: NBA In-Season Tournament

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:49 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:41 pm
I'm very skeptical of rewarding playoff seeding based on tournament results because I think it opens a lot of ways for teams to implement some form of "tanking", and preventing that is part of the reason this tournament was created in the first place.
How would it open up tanking?
Using your scenario as an example, if I finish 5th or 6th and know I can't fall below the 4th seed with months of regular season games left to play, what's to stop me from load managing the roster for the rest of the season?

I guess giving the 10th spot wouldn't incentivize "tanking" very much because I don't think a play-in level team will win this tournament. But I wouldn't really go beyond that if we're talking about rewarding playoff spots.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I'm very skeptical of rewarding playoff seeding based on tournament results because I think it opens a lot of ways for teams to implement some form of "tanking", and preventing that is part of the reason this tournament was created in the first place.
If you’re guaranteed the 10th seed, you could just tank your way to 16th to have higher lottery chances.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I wouldn't advocate for equating standing and draft position. Win the tournament and receive the 10th seed supersedes end of season record.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

I like Split proposition. It has to be seeding bonuses.
Otherwise, you'll quickly see teams lose interest in this, just like it happened in soccer.
They had to give a good european ticket because only the bad teams tried to win to get a little something for the fans.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:38 pm
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
If you’re guaranteed the 10th seed, you could just tank your way to 16th to have higher lottery chances.
Easy solution is to just give them the 10th seed lotto chances

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:28 pm
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Using your scenario as an example, if I finish 5th or 6th and know I can't fall below the 4th seed with months of regular season games left to play, what's to stop me from load managing the roster for the rest of the season?

I guess giving the 10th spot wouldn't incentivize "tanking" very much because I don't think a play-in level team will win this tournament. But I wouldn't really go beyond that if we're talking about rewarding playoff spots.
How would you know you’re not gonna fall to 7th or 8th? Why wouldn’t you try to get to 4 and lock in HCA for 2 rounds?

Also that’s part of the reward. One team gets it. That’s hardly going to cause some sort of tanking issue. If they want to stop fighting for the 6 seed because they’ve got the 7/8 seed locked up and know that means they move to 6 then that’s up to them. That’s the reward for winning the tourney. And it’s hard to envision that scenario happening before the final few games anyways. I don’t know what you’re talking about with months of the season left.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:29 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:28 pm
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

How would you know you’re not gonna fall to 7th or 8th? Why wouldn’t you try to get to 4 and lock in HCA for 2 rounds?

Also that’s part of the reward. One team gets it. That’s hardly going to cause some sort of tanking issue. If they want to stop fighting for the 6 seed because they’ve got the 7/8 seed locked up and know that means they move to 6 then that’s up to them. That’s the reward for winning the tourney. And it’s hard to envision that scenario happening before the final few games anyways. I don’t know what you’re talking about with months of the season left.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your scenario. I'll use an extreme example just to be sure. If the Suns finish 5th and therefore can't fall below the 4th seed, they could conceivably lose every single game after the tournament without any consequence. Am I missing something with that?
SplitT wrote:I don’t know what you’re talking about with months of the season left.
The Championship is played on December 9th, so it's way too early to reward playoff seeding.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think you’re misunderstanding…it’s only the champion of the in-season tourney that gets the reward. Finishing 5th in the tourney gets you nothing. If you win the tourney and then finish 5th in the final regular season standings, then you move to 4.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Ah, OK. That's much more reasonable. The way I read it seemed like you proposed allocating playoff seeding for basically everyone.

I'm not totally against that, but consider how much complaining we've heard from this relatively simple set up. Now you want to make it more complex?

I think it's fine the way it is now. The primary objective is to increase competitiveness during the early months of the season, and I think it's clearly achieved that goal so far. I don't see a dire need to create more stakes.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya sorry for being unclear…I’m also ok with it remaining the same as now. Though I do think I like expanding to 12 teams when nba goes to 32. I don’t hate 8 though.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:01 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:51 pm
I just don;t see what the draw of this is. They're just taking a random selection of games and calling them an in-season tournament which doesn't take place over a single week, but because they use a different court its supposed to be an event?

If you want it to be important, do it over the All-Star Break and get it all done at once.
They're not random. It's clearly laid out if you take the time to follow it. And a 30-team tournament during the All-Star break defeats the purpose of a "break" in the first place.
You just take all the games for the tournament and play them in a couple of weeks right before the game. It doesn't mean you can't still have a break after the tournament ends. Sprinkling them throughout the schedule doesn't really build up any excitement,
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:51 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:01 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:51 pm
I just don;t see what the draw of this is. They're just taking a random selection of games and calling them an in-season tournament which doesn't take place over a single week, but because they use a different court its supposed to be an event?

If you want it to be important, do it over the All-Star Break and get it all done at once.
They're not random. It's clearly laid out if you take the time to follow it. And a 30-team tournament during the All-Star break defeats the purpose of a "break" in the first place.
You just take all the games for the tournament and play them in a couple of weeks right before the game. It doesn't mean you can't still have a break after the tournament ends. Sprinkling them throughout the schedule doesn't really build up any excitement,
If you say so...

I'm plenty excited. And it's very easy to follow with most (all?) of the tournament games played on Friday and Tuesday.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:25 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Then you're just punishing them for winning the Cup. :lol: Since the chance of a 10th seed making the playoffs is slim.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:23 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:25 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Then you're just punishing them for winning the Cup. :lol: Since the chance of a 10th seed making the playoffs is slim.
I’m fine if they want to pass on moving up to the 10th seed and taking the lottery odds instead

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I just realized our tournament game on Tuesday the starts at 2pm. Wtf, fuck this tournament. Lol

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:02 am
I just realized our tournament game on Tuesday the starts at 2pm. Wtf, fuck this tournament. Lol
Tuesday’s game is at 9 pm EST in Phoenix against the Blazers.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:10 am
Wally_West wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:02 am
Tuesday’s game is at 9 pm EST in Phoenix against the Blazers.
I don’t know what the hell I was looking at then haha. Good indicator that’s it’s time for sleep for me.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Now we're inventing reasons to hate on this tournament? ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Even I saw the level of In-Season Tournament hate in that post and was like, "Dang..."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

They should award an additional first round pick to the winner of the tourney. Make it the last pick of the lottery.