Suns News: October

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: Suns News: October

Post by SDC »

without frye, i dont think this suns team has a chance against smarter teams with size like san antonio. frye did a good job defending duncan.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Well, Frye is not a big help when it comes to good post-up players. The teams that have someone in the middle that Frye could guard could probably be guarded by Markieff.

Frye has basically one strength - three-point shooting (and stretching defenses). He's not a versatile offensive player (he can score in the post a little but only when he has the rare matchup advantage), not a strong rebounder, and not a good defender.

And not worth $8 million a year when he'll be in his mid-30's at the end of the contract. Plus, you never know if he's going to have health issues again and he's already sat out one entire season.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

SDC

Post by SDC »

The Bobster wrote:Well, Frye is not a big help when it comes to good post-up players. The teams that have someone in the middle that Frye could guard could probably be guarded by Markieff.

Frye has basically one strength - three-point shooting (and stretching defenses). He's not a versatile offensive player (he can score in the post a little but only when he has the rare matchup advantage), not a strong rebounder, and not a good defender.

And not worth $8 million a year when he'll be in his mid-30's at the end of the contract. Plus, you never know if he's going to have health issues again and he's already sat out one entire season.
he's not worth 8 million a year, but the suns will still miss him nevertheless. He's the suns best post player defender. plumlee is more of a rim protector, but he'll probably foul out trying to defend duncan.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The Bobster wrote:Frye has basically one strength - three-point shooting (and stretching defenses).
Frye is not just a three point shooter. That's his main weapon but his NBA.com shotchart shows that he makes his shots from basically all over the place as long as it is the right side of the basket. The irony is that if you look at his basic zones chart, it is green everywhere but the 3 point area.

Again, I think we need to look at those 8M as the new MLE contract.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Both of the Morrii are perfectly capable of spacing the floor. I dont fault the front office for letting Frye walk. Especially considering his age and the price.

What the Suns are still going to struggle with is rebounding. The only good rebounder on the team is Tucker. We have plenty of guys to take shots. What we need is a Jordan Hill type who is a rebounding machine to go after all those misses.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

da_suns_fan wrote:Both of the Morrii are perfectly capable of spacing the floor. I dont fault the front office for letting Frye walk. Especially considering his age and the price.

What the Suns are still going to struggle with is rebounding. The only good rebounder on the team is Tucker. We have plenty of guys to take shots. What we need is a Jordan Hill type who is a rebounding machine to go after all those misses.
Even if Frye would be a better on court presence than others on the team, keeping him at this point hinders the forward progress of the team. It is time for Len and Keef to move forward. Frye would have taken minutes from both of them, and he really isn't part of the Suns long term future. This team is being built with the long-term view in mind, not the quick fix.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I would've kept Frye at 5mil, but not at 8. He's a super sub, not a starter and I think his defense was overrated. Great character guy, great in the lockerroom, but Tolliver will do his job for 1mil.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

The Suns biggest weakness will continue to be interior defense and rebounding. Not Frye's strengths.

Will we have new weaknesses because he's gone? I dont think so.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

It's not that it creates a new weakness, but his two man game with Dragic (and maybe IT3 too, who knows) was a huge part of our offense. That's not debatable.

Now, will we be better off with more Kieff and Tolliver? We'll see, but my point is that if the team is essentially capped out after Bledsoe and the twins, spending 8M on Frye was not as harmful as if we were looking at relevant cap space by default next season.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Who is to say we sign Thomas if we retain Frye? I'd much rather have Thomas even though we are well staffed at PG because he's actually a good player. We lost Ish and Frye and replaced them with Tolliver and Thomas, I feel like we are better for it.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Who is to say we sign Thomas if we retain Frye? I'd much rather have Thomas even though we are well staffed at PG because he's actually a good player. We lost Ish and Frye and replaced them with Tolliver and Thomas, I feel like we are better for it.
This - throw Zoran in there as well.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I agree with TOO's comment, too. :-) Also, as it now turns out, Frye got injured before playing a single game anyway, so we aren't missing much. You can argue that the injury would not have happened here, but something tells me he's about to enter a more-often-injured part of his career. So I think I'm much happier with what we did spend that money on than if we'd kept Frye.

I'll still miss the guy and his 3s and pick-n-roll with Goran.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:I agree with TOO's comment, too. :-)
This has to be the only sports message board in the world that would appreciate that so much. :)

Indy

Post by Indy »

and I would 4th TOO's sentiment. I will miss Frye, but I doubt it will be as much as I appreciate what we got with that 8 million that wasn't here last year.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:Also, as it now turns out, Frye got injured before playing a single game anyway, so we aren't missing much.
It's just a sprain. He's expected to be available for the regular season opener.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:Also, as it now turns out, Frye got injured before playing a single game anyway, so we aren't missing much.
It's just a sprain. He's expected to be available for the regular season opener.
"'Tis but a scratch!"
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:if you see that money as MLE it is not such an overpay.
There's really no compelling reason to view it that way.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote: I think his defense was overrated.
He's had some good defensive performances against Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, and a few others. But he's had just as many games where he got absolutely abused.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It will be interesting to see what the impact of not having Channing Frye will be. Grantland was prolific on his impact being of great consequence for this team. The eyeball test doesn't seem to corroborate that but we'll see.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:if you see that money as MLE it is not such an overpay.
There's really no compelling reason to view it that way.
The new TV deal and its projected impact on the salary cap is reason enough.