Game Day: Suns (38-36) @ Blazers (47-25), Mon 3/30/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
OE32

Re: Game Day: Suns (38-36) @ Blazers (47-25), Mon 3/30/15

Post by OE32 »

TJ, once again, looked awesome last night.

Alex has a lot of work to do this offseason. And our coaching staff has a lot of work to do if they want to get more out of him on the offensive end.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've feel like I've been saying the same thing since the middle of the season. The coach and roster just don't fit. Hornacek seems like a hands-off player's coach (like MikeD) who had the type of PG he wanted/needed in Dragic last year. Now the roster and PGs have changed and you need a guy who going to call out plays and direct from the sidelines. We should be a grinding, phyiscal, defensive team with a coach to match. Not a knock on Hornacek, just the way it is. I'd love to see what a Lionel Hollins could do with this team.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Honacek yells out plays nearly every time down the court. I just think our guys aren't good at executing. And I feel they aren't being held accountable.

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:Honacek yells out plays nearly every time down the court. I just think our guys aren't good at executing. And I feel they aren't being held accountable.
It's the 2nd part I was alluding to in my post when I said Hornacek does nothing about it. Maybe that's why we don't see TJ all that much or Goodwin would sit for long stretches. But why then do the rest of the guys get such a long leash??
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

OE32

Post by OE32 »

It seems that Hornacek is biased in favor of veterans - he can't actually tell who's playing smart basketball, because every mistake young players make is amplified, while every mistake the vets make is balanced by Hornacek's presumption that they know what they're doing.

Either that or the FO reminded him to maintain the value of the vets by playing them more than merit dictates.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I honestly am hoping that the FO and Jeff are on the same page, and realize that this team isn't what we need/want. So they are showcasing the players they want to move, and not the players they want to keep. Honestly, Marcus has been playing well lately. And Keef is a known quantity, worth more than his contract. I would hope we can move both. Same with PJ. The problem is with Bleds. He just isn't showing enough to be wanted elsewhere (IMO). I am really hoping for a late-80s type of blow up.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:I honestly am hoping that the FO and Jeff are on the same page, and realize that this team isn't what we need/want. So they are showcasing the players they want to move, and not the players they want to keep. Honestly, Marcus has been playing well lately. And Keef is a known quantity, worth more than his contract. I would hope we can move both. Same with PJ. The problem is with Bleds. He just isn't showing enough to be wanted elsewhere (IMO). I am really hoping for a late-80s type of blow up.
Again, I think Bled has shown his worth. He just needs to be on a team were the PG isn't relied on upon as the principal playmaker. They say defense wins championships.

Indy

Post by Indy »

OE32 wrote:
Indy wrote:I honestly am hoping that the FO and Jeff are on the same page, and realize that this team isn't what we need/want. So they are showcasing the players they want to move, and not the players they want to keep. Honestly, Marcus has been playing well lately. And Keef is a known quantity, worth more than his contract. I would hope we can move both. Same with PJ. The problem is with Bleds. He just isn't showing enough to be wanted elsewhere (IMO). I am really hoping for a late-80s type of blow up.
Again, I think Bled has shown his worth. He just needs to be on a team were the PG isn't relied on upon as the principal playmaker. They say defense wins championships.
He isn't a good shooter either. And he quits too often on defense. Can you name a poor ball-handling, mediocre shooting starting PG that has won a championship?

And the PG shouldn't be the primary play maker? That is his job. To make plays for his teammates. Sure, if we had a guy like Duncan that we could dump it into and he can make great decision too, that would certainly lessen the burden on the PG, but it doesn't take away the primary ball handling and play making responsibilities.

I am not a fan of hiding our highest paid asset because he isn't right for his position. Time to cut bait.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:
OE32 wrote:
He isn't a good shooter either. And he quits too often on defense. Can you name a poor ball-handling, mediocre shooting starting PG that has won a championship?

And the PG shouldn't be the primary play maker? That is his job. To make plays for his teammates. Sure, if we had a guy like Duncan that we could dump it into and he can make great decision too, that would certainly lessen the burden on the PG, but it doesn't take away the primary ball handling and play making responsibilities.

I am not a fan of hiding our highest paid asset because he isn't right for his position. Time to cut bait.
I'm hoping the plan was to elevate Knight to the PG spot and move Bled. Don't you think he'd work well next to a guy like Kobe, Melo, LeBron, Harden or Cousins? I do. And I expect there won't be many (if any) better players available for trade this offseason.

Indy

Post by Indy »

OE32 wrote:
Indy wrote:
OE32 wrote:

I'm hoping the plan was to elevate Knight to the PG spot and move Bled. Don't you think he'd work well next to a guy like Kobe, Melo, LeBron, Harden or Cousins? I do. And I expect there won't be many (if any) better players available for trade this offseason.
1) No, I don't. Because he can't shoot well, which makes his drives from a set offense even more dangerous because of his poor ball handling.

2) I don't care if we get a better player. We need to get out of the contract so we are more flexible with what we can do with our current roster.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Your second point makes no sense. What could we do without Bled's contract that we can do with it?

This is the point we were arguing about a month or so ago - and I still think it's batshit. Bled's contract is not an albatross, as will be evidenced by the substantial assets we get in a trade, should we choose to make one. I just don't get what you don't get about that. We could make another bet??

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:He isn't a good shooter either. And he quits too often on defense. Can you name a poor ball-handling, mediocre shooting starting PG that has won a championship?
Derek Fisher? His assist to TO ratio was like 2:1 and he routinely shot in the low 40s.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

OE32 wrote:Your second point makes no sense. What could we do without Bled's contract that we can do with it?

This is the point we were arguing about a month or so ago - and I still think it's batshit. Bled's contract is not an albatross, as will be evidenced by the substantial assets we get in a trade, should we choose to make one. I just don't get what you don't get about that. We could make another bet??
Not be committed for the next 4 years (to our highest paid player) that isn't even in the top half of players at his position...

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

OE32 wrote:Your second point makes no sense. What could we do without Bled's contract that we can do with it?

I agree with this, the way the cap is going to go up Bledsoe's deal won't look too horrible.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:

Not be committed for the next 4 years (to our highest paid player) that isn't even in the top half of players at his position...
It's a movable contract, hence no commitment. Also, I disagree that he's not in the top half at his position. He's just being asked to do too much. Fisher's an interesting comparison. How about "SuperFish" as a nickname? Sure he'd be thrilled.

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:He isn't a good shooter either. And he quits too often on defense. Can you name a poor ball-handling, mediocre shooting starting PG that has won a championship?
Derek Fisher? His assist to TO ratio was like 2:1 and he routinely shot in the low 40s.
That is fair. I would say with the right team, that could work. But keep in mind that Fisher was never thought of as the #1, #2, #3 or even #4 option on those teams. And he never even came close to the number of TOs Eric's has this year.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Dan H wrote:

I agree with this, the way the cap is going to go up Bledsoe's deal won't look too horrible.
:D

Imagine me and you, and you and me...

Indy

Post by Indy »

Dan H wrote:

Just what we need. A guy with a deal that doesn't look too horrible. What do we get by having Bledsoe on our team? An average overall PG that can't gives the ball up 250 times a year to the other team. Go ahead and count his steals and he still is a net -130! Fisher's worst year for TOs he was only a -30 in similar minutes.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Don't get me wrong, if we can move him for an upgrade and retain Knight, I wouldn't be upset at all. I think Knight might just be a better option at the 1. Bledsoe isn't really a good enough ball handler to be the primary PG. I'd say he'd be suited for one of the triangle teams, but I don't know that he's a good enough shooter.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

OE32 wrote:
Bledsoe might actually pretty good in a triangle offense.

Ah. I just see that you said it too. Bledsoe to the Knicks for. . .