Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Post by carey »

This article is interesting because the Suns come up a lot in association with Ulis, but it was written before the draft in February: http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/ ... 13726.html
A point guard’s primary duties are to serve as the coach on the court, orchestrate the offense, and ultimately, produce points. To that end, Ulis headlines the Cousy finalists in offensive rating per 100 (an estimate of points produced per 100 possessions) with a 131.5 rating — a staggering 25.5 points more than Dunn, a projected top-five pick.

Only five NBA teams currently average 100-plus possessions per game, with the Phoenix Suns just over that mark with a 100.1 pace rating — number of possessions for 48 minutes; your average NBA game. Essentially, the discrepancy in offensive rating between Ulis and Dunn would mean if they were to each orchestrate the Suns’ offense all game, Phoenix would score 25.5 more points with Ulis at the helm.

Relatedly, producing points at such an impressive clip translates to wins, at least in regard to the individualized win shares per 40 statistic — an estimate of the number of wins a player contributes per 40 minutes. The league average is approximately .100. Ulis’ .230 rating among the Cousy finalists ranks second, behind only Oakland’s Kay Felder (.240). Meanwhile, Dunn (.182), Jackson (.178) and Trimble (.195) — all of whom are projected as NBA draftees ahead of Ulis —are well behind the value Ulis brings to Kentucky’s success.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ugh; Ty Corbin? Liked him as a player but he was absolutely horrendous as a coach. What exactly will he bring?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:
carey wrote:I wish I had some fancy video evidence to back that up but my hunch is by next Christmas you'll see a dozen think pieces by Lowe, the Starters, and/or the Ringer showing gifs of Paul in the pick-and-roll and comparing them to Ulis. Especially with 2 long PFs that can both shoot to run it with.
Here is an interesting video breaking down Ulis' game. At the end they compare him to Chris Paul and there's some footage of both players looking eerily similar.

[youtube][/youtube]
Thanks; that is an exciting video. We need a point guard like that.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Corbin's stints as head coach have been terrible. Maybe he's better as an assistant? I've seen some tweets in the media that say it's a solid move, real good addition to the staff. Supposedly he was in the mix as Walton's replacement in GS.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Maybe head coaches like to hire assistants who won't become their replacement. Corbin was so dreadful as a head coach that even Watson would be better.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JustWinBaby wrote:
INFORMER wrote:Corbin was brutal as a coach in Utah. But I'm sure that doesn't matter.
Corbin was horrible as a coach in Utah. It appeared that the players in Utah really did not like him. What is he going to be in charge of?

Maybe he studied philosophy in the off season with coach Wooden and will be in charge of all the filed trips.

I really want to like Watson but he makes it tough, most of the time.

Pleas make me eat crow.
Watson was one of those players, so I think he would know if the guy was hated.

Agree that Corbin was a bad head coach. Assistant coaching is a different set of responsibilities, though. I have no idea if he will be good at those.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks for the Ulis video, carey. I'm excited to see what he can do in a Suns uniform.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:Thanks for the Ulis video, carey. I'm excited to see what he can do in a Suns uniform.
Me too! I'm worried about his hip a little bit. We'll know soon enough if he's going to have to have surgery and go through a red-shirt year with the team.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

O_Gardino wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:
INFORMER wrote:Corbin was brutal as a coach in Utah. But I'm sure that doesn't matter.
Corbin was horrible as a coach in Utah. It appeared that the players in Utah really did not like him. What is he going to be in charge of?

Maybe he studied philosophy in the off season with coach Wooden and will be in charge of all the filed trips.

I really want to like Watson but he makes it tough, most of the time.

Pleas make me eat crow.
Watson was one of those players, so I think he would know if the guy was hated.

Agree that Corbin was a bad head coach. Assistant coaching is a different set of responsibilities, though. I have no idea if he will be good at those.
Perhaps Corbin can be the bad cop to Watson's good cop.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Ugh; Ty Corbin? Liked him as a player but he was absolutely horrendous as a coach. What exactly will he bring?
Donuts. He'll bring the donuts.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

OE32

Post by OE32 »

I assume we'll go after Jared Sullinger. This is based on the fact that INF hates him, and "what INF would hate" is becoming a pretty good indicator of what McD's gonna do.

SDC

Post by SDC »

so kerr.welts, and gentry got a ring in 2015, david griffin got his this year, will 2017 be sarver's year?

TOO

Post by TOO »

OE32 wrote:I assume we'll go after Jared Sullinger. This is based on the fact that INF hates him, and "what INF would hate" is becoming a pretty good indicator of what McD's gonna do.
Perfect guy for Corbins donuts.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:

https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto/status/746392363216543746

Troy Williams is the definition of an athlete, but not a basketball player. Very intriguing athletic ability though.
McD mentioned him on the radio that he was happy to be bringing him in for summer league as he fell through the cracks in the draft. I don't know anything about him.

Super hero of an athlete. He thinks he's Victor Oladipo. Plays with his head down and gets out of control. Bad passer and low BBall IQ.

He'll fit right in.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Another reason why we need a pass first PG to just get guys the ball for easy scores.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Sup folks,

Another first time poster to the site , been checking this site since early 2000's when Googling Suns News brought me here lol. I often tell friends that I was the only kid depressed at school after the 93 Finals because was hard to find a teenager who wasn't a Jordan/Bulls fan where I'm from (Barbados). I know the site has fans from all over the world but I'm guessing I am the first from Barbados , look forward to posting as I enjoy the insight you guys give especially this time of year like CBA , Cap Space , Draft picks and so on.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Welcome in from the shadows, bajanguy.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

https://twitter.com/SunsNation_NBA/status/747487147335290884

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Welcome, bajanguy. I expect half of your posts to start with bragging that you just got back from the beach. :)

I can relate about being the only suns fan. I grew up half way between the Lakers and Kings. I spent my high school and college years arguing with all the guys that Kobe wasn't THAT good and arguing with all the girls that Webber wasn't THAT good looking.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

bajanguy008 wrote: Another first time poster to the site , been checking this site since early 2000's when Googling Suns News brought me here lol. I often tell friends that I was the only kid depressed at school after the 93 Finals because was hard to find a teenager who wasn't a Jordan/Bulls fan where I'm from (Barbados). I know the site has fans from all over the world but I'm guessing I am the first from Barbados , look forward to posting as I enjoy the insight you guys give especially this time of year like CBA , Cap Space , Draft picks and so on.
Barbados? Sweet. Welcome, mate. I've never been that far South. I've been to Puerto Rico and also St. John / St. Thomas.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!