2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Split T »

I've liked Jackson for awhile. A year ago I thought he might be a sleeper for this draft, but he's pretty highly ranked everywhere. I've wanted to put Bamba ahead of him but haven't been able to justify it. Probably got him 5 or 6 right now on my board.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

J3 is averaging 8.4 Per 40, which isn't great, but he does have a 27.4 PER which is very good.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:J3 is averaging 8.4 Per 40, which isn't great, but he does have a 27.4 PER which is very good.
Where are you getting that number from? From my calculations, he is averaging 9.9 rpg per 36.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:J3 is averaging 8.4 Per 40, which isn't great, but he does have a 27.4 PER which is very good.
Where are you getting that number from? From my calculations, he is averaging 9.9 rpg per 36.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... njr-1.html
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nvm, that was conference totals. His entire college career totals he is 11.1 per 40. Calling my original stats, "Fake News". His conference PER is 35.1, which is amazing.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

He isn't playing the minutes of the other top prospect, but I chalk that up to age.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Somehow I missed Oklahoma vs Kansas. If you are curious what Trae Young would look like if he shot fewer 3s and passed more, here you go. And that interview at the end. Wow. Bamba got all the interviewing skills in that family.

[youtube][/youtube]

Split T

Post by Split T »

26 points on 9 shots, added 9 assists.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

The more I watch Young the more I know I will be disappointed on draft night if we don’t get him.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Have you guys heard him speak? He sounds 12. Not the voice I expected. He reminds me of Monta Ellis. And he’s buddy-buddy with Lebron

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

O_Gardino wrote:Somehow I missed Oklahoma vs Kansas. If you are curious what Trae Young would look like if he shot fewer 3s and passed more, here you go. And that interview at the end. Wow. Bamba got all the interviewing skills in that family.

[youtube][/youtube]

:lol: you beat me to it with the interview skills. A red flag to me honestly

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

specialsauce wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Somehow I missed Oklahoma vs Kansas. If you are curious what Trae Young would look like if he shot fewer 3s and passed more, here you go. And that interview at the end. Wow. Bamba got all the interviewing skills in that family.

[youtube][/youtube]

:lol: you beat me to it with the interview skills. A red flag to me honestly
Ohhhhh brother! :( :?

carey

Post by carey »

That interview.... huh. Not what I expected.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Besides sounding like a 12 year old, I thought he said all the right things.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:Besides sounding like a 12 year old, I thought he said all the right things.
+1

Interview didn't turn me off of him, makes me like him more.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The interview + the hair. I'm not going to say it outright, but he reminds me a little of some people I used to work with.

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I was a Job Coach for developmentally disable adults? I would coach them on how to perform their job duties professionally and how to dress and speak in an appropriate way in the workplace.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:The interview + the hair. I'm not going to say it outright, but he reminds me a little of some people I used to work with.

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I was a Job Coach for developmentally disable adults? I would coach them on how to perform their job duties professionally and how to dress and speak in an appropriate way in the workplace.
You just did.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ESPN has a new mock draft. Has us picking third and taking Bamba.
3. Phoenix Suns

Mohamed Bamba
Texas
Freshman
C

Height: 7-foot | Weight: 207 | PER: 28.2

With Tyson Chandler on the wrong side of 30 and Alex Len entering unrestricted free agency, shoring up the center position looks like a natural move for the Suns here. It helps that they won't be sacrificing anything in terms of talent, as Bamba will likely get some looks in the top two as well due to his rare combination of length, shot-blocking instincts and offensive promise.

Bamba is starting to make 3-pointers more consistently (6-for-17 in his past 8 games), and his unicorn potential gives him arguably the highest upside of any player in this draft.

Starting salary: $6,504,600
Phoenix will receive Milwaukee's pick if it lands in Nos. 11-16. BPI projects that Phoenix has a 45.9 percent chance of landing this pick.
22. Phoenix Suns (via Heat)

Trevon Duval
Duke
Freshman
PG

Height: 6-foot-3 | Weight: 191 | PER: 16.7

The Suns are in dire need of a starting-caliber point guard after trading Eric Bledsoe to the Bucks.

Duval has had a somewhat disappointing freshman year thus far and has seen his stock drop significantly from where he started the season. The Suns could opt to take a flyer on the big, long-armed, athletic guard, hoping that a change of scenery and NBA spacing help him realize the potential he demonstrated in high school down the road. Duval's jump shot looks irrevocably broke, but he displays enough promise in other areas to warrant a flyer at this stage of the draft.

Starting salary: $1,974,480

Phoenix will receive Miami's pick if it is outside the top seven.
I'd be a little disappointed if we land at 3/22 and come away with Bamba and Duvall. I'd be excited about Bamba, but there's guys I'd rather have.

I don't want Duvall at all. He's at athletic specimen, but he can't shoot at all. No room for that on our roster. I'd rather take shamet or Alexander-Walker there.

The lottery went:
Kings - Doncic
Hawks - Ayton
Suns - Bamba
Magic - Bagley
Bulls - JJJ
Cavs - Porter
Sixers - Young
Mavs - Carter
Grizzlies - Miles Bridges
Knicks - Sexton
Jazz - Mikal Bridges
Hornets - Knox
Clippers - Williams
Nuggets - Troy Brown

They have us drafting Jalen Hudson, Jalen Brunson, and Milik Yarbarough in round 2

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:Besides sounding like a 12 year old, I thought he said all the right things.
+1

Agreed. You can tell he isn't comfortable doing live, national TV interviews. Wonder how many of us would do well at that, much less when we were 19.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
+1

Agreed. You can tell he isn't comfortable doing live, national TV interviews. Wonder how many of us would do well at that, much less when we were 19.
Joking aside, I completely agree, and I hope we don't let hairstyle or a high pitched voice turn us off to talent.