Free Agency Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Free Agency Thread

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:55 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:52 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:37 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:56 pm
One concern I have with this roster is that it seems like we don't really have any rebounders other than Ayton.
Jimmy Jones doesn't really value rebounding or athleticism.
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:56 pm
Another reason I would have signed Thompson instead of Crowder.
I would have liked his defense, passing, rebounding, and emerging 3-point shot.
Inf, we often see eye-to-eye, but liking the Portis and Gordon deals while hating on the Crowder move has me a bit puzzled.
Gordon?

Portis signed a 2-year deal where he makes $4 million a year. That's pennies. Milwaukee knows what they're doing.
Sorry, Gordon Hayward.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Oh, I'm sorry. I just blanked. And I guess I never refer to him as just "Gordon."

Let me be clear about that deal: I don't love Hayward making that much. I think, at best, he is a $25 million a year guy. But that player, for team (and that organization), I think there is some value there.

Would I want the Suns to give him that deal? Not in a million years...
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't hate the Crowder deal, I just don't think it is good. I don't think we needed to invest the full MLE in a role playing wing player who is rather limited. Crowder is a solid role player, and the Suns will benefit from his toughness. But it is more of the same getting less for your assets/resources. People accept it (even love it) because Ryan lowered the bar so LOW.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:07 pm
I don't hate the Crowder deal, I just don't think it is good. I don't think we needed to invest the full MLE in a role playing wing player who is rather limited. Crowder is a solid role player, and the Suns will benefit from his toughness. But it is more of the same getting less for your assets/resources. People accept it (even love it) because Ryan lowered the bar so LOW.
You can say that but I don't agree. Had nothing to do with if from my perspective.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
To me Crowder is a much better fit next to DA than Thompson. I like Tristan but I think Crowder is better for us personally

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:23 pm
INFORMER wrote:
To me Crowder is a much better fit next to DA than Thompson. I like Tristan but I think Crowder is better for us personally
I think we need a solid rotation big that is happy to push guys around, but isn't 6-6 or shorter.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:15 pm
carey wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:04 pm
Jones is 6 fouls when we need to throw a body out there. I don't expect him to average more than 5 min per game.
But is it the year 2000 again? Is Shaq dominating the league? I feel like the school of thought that says you have a big man to go out and foul is very antiquated.

You're right that this isn't a move made for role that is going to see time. I just wish we were calculating and purposeful with our roster spots. I think you can get something out of all 13-15 roster spots, especially when you are building towards contention. I don't believe in throwing spots away when you haven't even had a winning season.
Fair, for now I’m glad Damian Jones is our 14th man...over the last 5 years we’ve had to start guys like him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:40 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:15 pm
carey wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:04 pm
Jones is 6 fouls when we need to throw a body out there. I don't expect him to average more than 5 min per game.
But is it the year 2000 again? Is Shaq dominating the league? I feel like the school of thought that says you have a big man to go out and foul is very antiquated.

You're right that this isn't a move made for role that is going to see time. I just wish we were calculating and purposeful with our roster spots. I think you can get something out of all 13-15 roster spots, especially when you are building towards contention. I don't believe in throwing spots away when you haven't even had a winning season.
Fair, for now I’m glad Damian Jones is our 14th man...over the last 5 years we’ve had to start guys like him.
I think we have started 5 or 6 guys like him at PG the past few years.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:23 pm
INFORMER wrote:
I do like Crowder over Thompson. I thought we needed another 4, but I thought a combo guard was more important. That’s why I was on team Alec Burks. Or why I thought we should have drafted Tyrese Haliburton. Pleasantly surprised to land Moore for the minimum though...I don’t know what the minimum level 4 we could have signed if we spent some of our MLE on Burks...

So I’m happy. Crowder gives us something we need. I just hope he shoots like he did in Miami and not how he has most of his career.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:34 pm
carey wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:32 pm

That was fast.
Galloway is decent, but why do we have an army of undersized shooting guards all of a sudden?
Would have preferred that spot to go to an actual pg, but I won’t complain too much about an actual nba player as our 12th man. I’d guess Shabazz Napier/Jordan McLaughlin was looking for more money/more playing time

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

And this is why signing Bobby Portis isn't worth the trouble.

Portis is right, but it doesn't mean he has to do stuff like that. Knucklehead.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

6 what?

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Playoff games

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:05 pm

And this is why signing Bobby Portis isn't worth the trouble.

Portis is right, but it doesn't mean he has to do stuff like that. Knucklehead.
Pass. And he’s not a smart player. Not a good defender. Me-first mentality.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:31 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:30 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:39 am
Yay, Dario is returning! Everything is looking good for the new season. Glad he decided to come back, and that's a pretty fair contract.
Considering what others were getting, I think it’s a reasonable deal.
I didn't want him back after the Bubble concluded because I didn't feel we could trust his 12 game performance to warrant making a long-term commitment.

But after the other moves made this offseason, I think you have to bring him back.

I don't love it, but it is what it is.
Agreed.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

From The Ringer ...

Winner: The Suns’ Culture Boost
Between the additions of Chris Paul (via trade) and Jae Crowder (three years, $30 million), the Suns have undeniably gotten tougher, louder, and straight-up edgier this offseason. Up until last season, the team had a reputation for being young and inexperienced. Booker’s ascent in the bubble and the team’s performance showed there was more fight there than we thought, but Paul and Crowder will add healthy helpings of that too—and that’s exactly what Phoenix needs. More specifically, it’s also exactly what Deandre Ayton needs. There’s no denying Ayton’s talent, but for him to reach his full potential, his talent and drive have to match. Paul helped the Thunder level up this last season, and he’ll have a similar challenge with the Suns. There are going to be a lot of loud directions headed Booker’s and Ayton’s way during practices and games, but it might be the perfect antidote for a team that hasn’t made the postseason in 10 years.

For the full article:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/11/2 ... d-vanvleet
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

10 years. I still can't believe that. What was our longest drought before this? 3 years maybe? I can't remember.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I wonder if Jones leans on Paul to figure out what he has and maybe what he should do with Ayton. If Paul can't get thru to and get the most out of Ayton, maybe he lets Jones know, either directly or indirectly, whether Ayton is worth holding onto and/or at what price. Does Paul think Ayton is worth a max extension? Is Ayton only worth a max extension if he has a talent like Paul bringing it out in him? Will Ayton fall off or get content with the money?

I try thinking about if Ayton were drafted by the Kings or Hawks, put up the same numbers and kind of play - looking dominant at times and showing the potential but also lacking some and missing that hustle and energy. Would we think he's worth a max or overpay to sign him away from another team? Would we think it's just the situation/coaching? Would we say, "so what, he's 20/10 and doesn't even have to try"?

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:38 am
I wonder if Jones leans on Paul to figure out what he has and maybe what he should do with Ayton. If Paul can't get thru to and get the most out of Ayton, maybe he lets Jones know, either directly or indirectly, whether Ayton is worth holding onto and/or at what price. Does Paul think Ayton is worth a max extension? Is Ayton only worth a max extension if he has a talent like Paul bringing it out in him? Will Ayton fall off or get content with the money?

I try thinking about if Ayton were drafted by the Kings or Hawks, put up the same numbers and kind of play - looking dominant at times and showing the potential but also lacking some and missing that hustle and energy. Would we think he's worth a max or overpay to sign him away from another team? Would we think it's just the situation/coaching? Would we say, "so what, he's 20/10 and doesn't even have to try"?
I think most of us wouldn't know much about him, because although he gets 20/10 without trying, he does it in unspectacular fashion, and in a way that doesn't impact the game (on offense). So he wouldn't be on any highlights, and we would mostly see him when he plays us.

I just can't imagine paying this version of Ayton 30M-40M/year for 5 years. You do that for all-nba players.