2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm also not sold on Zion being a generational player who can lead a franchise for 10+ years. He's going to be really good, and I'd obviously bet on him being a multiple time All-Star, but I don't put him in the LeBron, AD, KD category at this time. So if there were another team who saw him as that type of generational player, I'd squeeze them for every asset possible.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm not even questioning his fit in Phoenix, as I think it would be near perfect. I just question if he could be a #1 option or the ULTIMATE sidekick and #2. Not that there is anything wrong with that either. I believe that the Suns have a #1 in Booker, but they don't have a #2 yet(I'm still not completely sold on Ayton ever being that). They need someone that can take pressure off of Booker and when he's having a tough game, he can defer to or play off of. Someone that if needed, could be the #1. Some people thrive in the shadows and become the star from that seat. If he can't occasionally be a #1, and the team still solely depends on Devin, then they still have at least 2 holes to fill. I suppose that both of those holes could be filled at the pg spot, but then they would depend on signing either Kemba or DLo and hoping that DLo keeps getting better and more efficient, along with Kemba becoming a better passer and not just a iso shoot first pg.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:36 pm
I love Zion, but I have legitimate questions about his game and how it translates and if it could evolve. He's not the passer or ball handler that LeBrin was, but he's still very good. His strengths are incredible, but is he going to be freaky durable like LeBron and Vince Carter or more like Blake and Larry Johnson?
Does he need to be freaky durable? There’s also nothing to indicate he’ll have health issues like Blake. Ja could just as easily be Derrick Rose from a health standpoint.

As for his passing/dribbling not being on Lebron’s level....who’s is? Also, Zion is a 4/5. He’s a plus handler/passer for a 4. What if he’s current Blake mixed with young Blake...only he’s also an All-NBA defender?

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:10 pm
I'm not even questioning his fit in Phoenix, as I think it would be near perfect. I just question if he could be a #1 option or the ULTIMATE sidekick and #2. Not that there is anything wrong with that either. I believe that the Suns have a #1 in Booker, but they don't have a #2 yet(I'm still not completely sold on Ayton ever being that). They need someone that can take pressure off of Booker and when he's having a tough game, he can defer to or play off of. Someone that if needed, could be the #1. Some people thrive in the shadows and become the star from that seat. If he can't occasionally be a #1, and the team still solely depends on Devin, then they still have at least 2 holes to fill. I suppose that both of those holes could be filled at the pg spot, but then they would depend on signing either Kemba or DLo and hoping that DLo keeps getting better and more efficient, along with Kemba becoming a better passer and not just a iso shoot first pg.
What is it that worries you about him being a #2? I think that’s his floor. Barring something unpredictable, like an injury, he’s a multi all star player IMO. I’d say, even if he just ends up a big stat guy that plays well off of a primary scorer, but doesn’t take over as the primary scorer, we’d be fine. His presence would help Booker so much as a primary scorer. Then just add a Lou Williams type to take that primary role when Booker sits.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:16 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:36 pm
I love Zion, but I have legitimate questions about his game and how it translates and if it could evolve. He's not the passer or ball handler that LeBrin was, but he's still very good. His strengths are incredible, but is he going to be freaky durable like LeBron and Vince Carter or more like Blake and Larry Johnson?
Does he need to be freaky durable? There’s also nothing to indicate he’ll have health issues like Blake. Ja could just as easily be Derrick Rose from a health standpoint.

As for his passing/dribbling not being on Lebron’s level....who’s is? Also, Zion is a 4/5. He’s a plus handler/passer for a 4. What if he’s current Blake mixed with young Blake...only he’s also an All-NBA defender?
I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm probably overthinking this. I'm certainly not sold on Ja though, so I would probably keep moving down and squeeze more assets.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Who would you target in a trade down? In draft and asset attached?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:12 pm
Assuming the Suns land #1.

Going after Conley or Jrue are kind of obvious, but matching salaries and giving up an asset like Zion complicates things.

Zion, TJx2 for Bradley Beal, WAS 2019 lottery pick and a future protected 1st?

Zion and TJ Warren for Montrezl Harrell, SGA and LAC 2019 1st round pick?

Zion, Tyler Johnson for Aaron Gordon and some kind of future pick swap in the Suns favor?

Just a few ideas..
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:39 pm
Split T wrote:

Going after Conley or Jrue are kind of obvious, but matching salaries and giving up an asset like Zion complicates things.

Zion, Tyler Johnson for Aaron Gordon and some kind of future pick swap in the Suns favor?

Just a few ideas..
Ya I’m not doing any of those...give me Zion

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:52 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:

Just a few ideas..
None of those are close for me.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:55 pm
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:

Just a few ideas..
Not even close

jonh

Post by jonh »

Its not a question of if it is close for us--how does Jones presumably feel about it. It seems like all signals point towards him being willing to use this pick in a trade.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
It would depend on what the lottery order ended up being and what I could get back.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I would bet a lot of money that if we are not #1/#2 in the draft, JOnes will trade the pick and the haul we will get is something on the line of Rozier and an equally talented PF (I am not sure which one we will pay outright, and which one we will end up doing some type of sign-and-trade to make the numbers work and stay well under the tax).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I would not be excited about a Rozier signing or trade for an equally talented PF(I don't think Rozier is all that good, and an equally talented PF would be a disappointment too if that's the case).

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I won’t be excited if Rozier is our pg.. He has fared much better as a starter than as a reserve, but I’d prefer to look elsewhere. I’m not against just signing Collison to a 1 year deal and then continue looking. Gives okobo and Melton another year of development time to see if they will pan out as well.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I have already pre-lowered my expectations to assume that all of the following will happen:

* our pick will be #4 or later
* we'll trade the pick for a mediocre PG or PF
* we'll hire some coaching newbie who doesn't know what he's doing, and we'll pay him $750k/yr
* we'll resign our guys to stupidly large contracts and blow our cap space without getting better

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:45 am
I have already pre-lowered my expectations to assume that all of the following will happen:

* we'll hire some coaching newbie who doesn't know what he's doing, and we'll pay him $750k/yr
* we'll resign our guys to stupidly large contracts and blow our cap space without getting better
Yea i'm pretty much prepared for all that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

I’m probably a sucker, but I’m gonna give this new front office the benefit of the doubt. Obviously we have no control over where we pick, so I have zero expectations there. We might trade the pick, that wouldn’t surprise me either. As for coaching, I actually think we’re gonna get Monty. And I think we’ll get Oubre on a good deal. Somewhere in the 12-15 million a year range.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:58 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:55 pm
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:

Just a few ideas..
Not even close
Yeah, I think Zion's value around the league is higher than all of this. I think you need to aim really high with that #1 pick. It's got to be someone like AD coming back in the trade. I love Zion, but I think Morant could be everything for us. If we got the #1 pick and there was an opportunity to trade for #2 and pick up something really good, I might not necessarily be opposed.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:59 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

I’m probably a sucker, but I’m gonna give this new front office the benefit of the doubt. Obviously we have no control over where we pick, so I have zero expectations there. We might trade the pick, that wouldn’t surprise me either. As for coaching, I actually think we’re gonna get Monty. And I think we’ll get Oubre on a good deal. Somewhere in the 12-15 million a year range.
I'm with you. I think that Jones has more respect around the league with the players, agents and probably other GMs than McDonough ever did. He told us what he planned on doing and he nailed the things he definitely needed to accomplish. I doubt that the pick is going to be in the top 2, so I'm not optimistic about that. As for the coach, idk. Seems like they put all their eggs in the Monty basket, but still set up other interviews just in case. We'll see today.