Free Agency Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Drewsprocket

Re: Free Agency Thread

Post by Drewsprocket »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:47 pm
If he wants a max contract he needs to make all NBA defense team, lead us past 2nd round, hang at least 22ppg, 12 rpg.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Indy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:53 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:41 pm
I would trade DA for SGA right now.
Right. I think today, all things being equal, Luka, SGA, and Trae are better players than DA. You could make an argument for JJJ even with the injury history.
JJJ averages under 5 rebounds...

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:03 pm
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Right. I think today, all things being equal, Luka, SGA, and Trae are better players than DA. You could make an argument for JJJ even with the injury history.
Trae Young is one of the worst defensive players in the league.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I get Trae and Doncic being ahead but come on, man. :roll:

At the end of the day, I don’t understand argument against DA getting the max, MIL is gonna be paying him after we trade him next summer for Giannis, so what’s the big deal? 8-)

*I can dream, can’t I???

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:09 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
So was Steve Nash. And in no way am I saying Trae is nearly as good, but this league is not about defense. Equal levels of offense and defense ends up with offense winning. This isn't hockey or soccer where defense is more important.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
I should have said that if the draft were re-done, those are the players I think are better. I didn't mean that JJJ is a better player today. I think he will be when it is all done, or at least is worth the risk of taking him over DA.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:10 pm
I get Trae and Doncic being ahead but come on, man. :roll:

At the end of the day, I don’t understand argument against DA getting the max, MIL is gonna be paying him after we trade him next summer for Giannis, so what’s the big deal? 8-)

*I can dream, can’t I???
:)

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:09 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Ayton finished 14th on the suns in free throw rate... just ahead of Ty Jerome.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

3rdside wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:59 pm
Jalen Smith as insurance if we decide to let Ayton walk? We become a small(ish) ball 3pt shooting machine.

I'm not comfortable paying Ayton the max as it stands.
We had better not let him walk. We should be able to get something decent for him if we go that route.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:36 pm
3rdside wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:59 pm
Jalen Smith as insurance if we decide to let Ayton walk? We become a small(ish) ball 3pt shooting machine.

I'm not comfortable paying Ayton the max as it stands.
We had better not let him walk. We should be able to get something decent for him if we go that route.
Yeah, like Giannis.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
You can make the argument but there's no way I'm doing that trade.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I really don't get all the Ayton hate. Even though he's only partly plugged in, he's still getting 18-12 and is a defensive anchor. Some of you are trying to tell me that a stick figure who shoots 3's and doesn't rebound and defend (JJJ) is going to have a higher ceiling. It doesn't compute.

Someday, the lights will turn on and stay on and Ayton is going to be an all-time top 10 center. Or maybe they won't and he'll still be Patrick Ewing lite. And he's still be more valuable than many of you are giving him credit for.

IIRC a lot of the criticism that Ayton is receiving isn't so different from what was said of Olajuwon back when he was Akeem -- not focused, not tuned in, and empty stats. But I was kind of young back then so I may not be remembering 100% correctly.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The problem is "Patrick Ewing lite" isn't worth a max salary.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
No way.

Luka, yes.

Trae, maybe.

Everyone else- not a chance. Not even fully healthy.

Split T

Post by Split T »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:41 pm
I really don't get all the Ayton hate. Even though he's only partly plugged in, he's still getting 18-12 and is a defensive anchor. Some of you are trying to tell me that a stick figure who shoots 3's and doesn't rebound and defend (JJJ) is going to have a higher ceiling. It doesn't compute.

Someday, the lights will turn on and stay on and Ayton is going to be an all-time top 10 center. Or maybe they won't and he'll still be Patrick Ewing lite. And he's still be more valuable than many of you are giving him credit for.

IIRC a lot of the criticism that Ayton is receiving isn't so different from what was said of Olajuwon back when he was Akeem -- not focused, not tuned in, and empty stats. But I was kind of young back then so I may not be remembering 100% correctly.
For the record, I think it’s about what JJJ can be. I haven’t watched him enough to know how good he is defensively, but he was an elite defensive prospect. The numbers haven’t been kind to him though and show that Ayton is better right now on defense. But he’s also super young still. We’ll see what he ends up like.

Offensively he’s is just so valuable though. He shot 39% from 3 last year on high volume(6.5 3’s a game). That’s just so valuable from potentially the C position. He can also attack off the dribble a bit. If the defense comes around, he’s close to the perfect modern center.

Ayton is a more productive player now. He’s better defensively, better finisher, better rebounder. But I think we’re still trying to figure out what he’s gonna be. I think the defense is actually pretty promising, but he’s kind of a mystery on offense. Seems kinda stuck between what he should be and what he wants to be. He wants to be KAT, he should be David Robinson.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
I wouldn’t. Somebody remember to check this post in five years and see which of us looks the fool.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:04 pm
Split T wrote:
I wouldn’t. Somebody remember to check this post in five years and see which of us looks the fool.
Haha, my guess is neither would look foolish. I think both will be good players. I think what SGA provides will be harder to find than what DA provides...but I’ll throw it in my sig, we’ll see who’s more right.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:58 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:41 pm

For the record, I think it’s about what JJJ can be. I haven’t watched him enough to know how good he is defensively, but he was an elite defensive prospect. The numbers haven’t been kind to him though and show that Ayton is better right now on defense. But he’s also super young still. We’ll see what he ends up like.

Offensively he’s is just so valuable though. He shot 39% from 3 last year on high volume(6.5 3’s a game). That’s just so valuable from potentially the C position. He can also attack off the dribble a bit. If the defense comes around, he’s close to the perfect modern center.

Ayton is a more productive player now. He’s better defensively, better finisher, better rebounder. But I think we’re still trying to figure out what he’s gonna be. I think the defense is actually pretty promising, but he’s kind of a mystery on offense. Seems kinda stuck between what he should be and what he wants to be. He wants to be KAT, he should be David Robinson.
this. it certainly is a gamble due to injury, but I would probably do it. I am worried we have seen close to Ayton's ceiling (meaning he never gets the aggression it takes on the court to be dominaytion :roll: ) and I think JJJ is closer to getting it.

But that isn't hate for Ayton. He made great strides last year on defense, and that is a huge step for a 2nd year center.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
No f'n way would I trade DA for SGA. Not even close, and I would have traded the #1 + something for SGA.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:53 pm
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
No f'n way would I trade DA for SGA. Not even close, and I would have traded the #1 + something for SGA.
I think most teams around the league would rather have SGA. I realize most Suns fans would disagree.