Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:47 pm
Indy wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 10:59 pm
Do you think he is a top 20 player in the league? Top 40? Top 50?
Right now? Probably top 30. He's at the cusp of being an All-Star, albeit a borderline one.
So that means in a complete league-wide re-draft, some GM will take DA as their first pick to build their team around? I just don't see it. I mean, I am not sure he would make the #2 pick, either.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think someone would take him in round 2…especially someone who took a young, but not fully ready yet, on ball player in round 1. Like Cunningham, LaMelo, Edwards, etc.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 12:07 pm
I think someone would take him in round 2…especially someone who took a young, but not fully ready yet, on ball player in round 1. Like Cunningham, LaMelo, Edwards, etc.
It isn't a lock. Which means he is at best in the 45-60 range.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 4:47 am
Uncle_Gene wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:59 pm
Ayton is NOT garbage, just not a max player. I remember James Jones saying on the arizona sports website that the disagreement with Ayton's representatives was over the amount of years, not the money. Who knows how true that is. I'd love to see him stay, but I think he's gone.
The way the season ended, it seems like he's outta here. But maybe after a few weeks, things have settled down and everyone can re-evaluate. Maybe Monty is looking back and seeing we didn't utilize DA as much as we could've against the Mavs. Maybe he was too rigid sticking to the system and playing thru the guards instead of making the adjustment to play more thru DA and punish the Mavs' lack of size. DA stepped up against the Pels when Book was out. He was great in that series when we needed him to be so I understand the frustration he had by the end of the Mavs series.

I'll also say this - DA yelling to Monty on the bench obviously wasn't a good look. You can chalk it up to immaturity or DA thinking he's better than he is, etc. But looking at it thru a different lens, as much shit as I and some others have given DA about being soft or passive at times, the fact that he was so frustrated about not getting the ball that he let it out on the bench at least showed some fire and want. I'd rather have a guy pissed about not being able to do more and calling for the ball than a guy not caring. Guys like Bynum and Eddy Curry never really cared. So at least there's that.
Great post. I hope it works out for Ayton and us. And you're right. It goes both ways and it did show that Ayton cares.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 10:45 am
Split T wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 7:42 am

I would jump all over this if this was true, can’t imagine Charlotte coming close to offering that though
How are three first rounders going to help us win a championship next season?
I'm with you Jeremy. I hope we work it out with Ayton and continue to grow together. Most of these deals take us backward, not forward.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 12:01 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 11:01 am
JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 10:45 am
Split T wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 7:42 am

I would jump all over this if this was true, can’t imagine Charlotte coming close to offering that though
How are three first rounders going to help us win a championship next season?
You package them in a trade for immediate help…but forget about the picks. Bridges and Washington will do more towards a championship than Ayton…I know you won’t agree, but that plus 3 picks which sets us up to snag a superstar is an absolute no-brainer.
Agreed
I wish I had your guys' optimism.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

You guys really think Miles Bridges, PJ Washington, and 3 1sts takes us backwards? You upgrade starting 4, get a great backup 4/5 who can start in a pinch, and get 3 1sts you can use to upgrade backup 1 and land another 5. We’re legitimately talking 4 players for 1 and Bridges alone I’d prefer over the 1.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 1:00 pm
You guys really think Miles Bridges, PJ Washington, and 3 1sts takes us backwards? You upgrade starting 4, get a great backup 4/5 who can start in a pinch, and get 3 1sts you can use to upgrade backup 1 and land another 5. We’re legitimately talking 4 players for 1 and Bridges alone I’d prefer over the 1.
Yeah, I’d take Bridges for DA in a straight swap if Bridges was willing to take the John Collins deal.

I don’t think Charlotte would do it.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm reserving judgement on any Ayton trade until after the next trade deadline. I realize most people won't be patient for that long, but as Split has been saying, James Jones intends to use the bulk of the assets in the trade to bring in a superstar.

My point is that we never know when these guys become available until it happens and the Ayton trade needs to be viewed through the lens of who Jones acquires in the second deal. Just like when he sent out TJ Warren for a sack of potatoes but it enabled him to bring in Ricky Rubio, who really changed the direction of the team on the court at that time.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 1:00 pm
There's no guarantee that it improves us. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Add Robinson or Hartenstein to Bridges and Washington and I think the Suns are better. Bridges is a significant upgrade to everyone on the Suns front court. Still need to sort out the backcourt but Bridges helps take some of the ball handling load and can act as another connector.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Sarver would only okay acquiring Miles Bridges if he were Mikal Bridges's less talented older brother.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Miles is a RFA and turned down 60mil over 4 so it might be tricky taking him on without having an extension worked out or flipping him to a team he wants to go to that will pay him what he wants.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 3:24 pm
Miles is a RFA and turned down 60mil over 4 so it might be tricky taking him on without having an extension worked out or flipping him to a team he wants to go to that will pay him what he wants.
It’d have to be a double sign and trade…and now that I think about it, it might not be doable as we have to stay under the luxury tax apron and that’s not likely.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think acquiring Miles Bridges in an Ayton trade is a long shot at best. There are too many cap hurdles for the Suns to overcome and it's easier for other teams to get him.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Y’all saying no to Bridges, Washington AND THREE FIRST ROUND PICKS LMAO did some good drugs today

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

You realize Miles averaged 20/7/4 this year on 49% from the field and would basically be the ideal 4 man we need.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:18 pm
Y’all saying no to Bridges, Washington AND THREE FIRST ROUND PICKS LMAO did some good drugs today
It's would be a heist by James Jones and seemingly impossible to pull off under the cap rules, so I'm not really considering it at all.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:22 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:18 pm
It's would be a heist by James Jones and seemingly impossible to pull off under the cap rules, so I'm not really considering it at all.
No team is offering three first round picks OR a player averaging 20/7/4 for Ayton, let alone both. Hilarious to even bring it up and even funnier to say NAHH