2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:19 pm
This was good and talks about the type of offense and decision making Ja does. It makes it easy to see how well he will translate immediately into the NBA and why you want the ball in his hands and help Booker as he's off ball.
he wont be getting trae young style freedom to do whatever he wants if the suns get him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SDC wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:23 pm
In2ition wrote:
This was good and talks about the type of offense and decision making Ja does. It makes it easy to see how well he will translate immediately into the NBA and why you want the ball in his hands and help Booker as he's off ball.
he wont be getting trae young style freedom to do whatever he wants if the suns get him.
But he may get Chris Paul rookie year like freedom.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:29 pm
SDC wrote:
In2ition wrote:
cant see it with healthy booker

he d be lucky if he can takeover a team like d mitchell did in his rookie yr (over rubio)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SDC wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:39 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:29 pm
SDC wrote:
In2ition wrote:
cant see it with healthy booker

he d be lucky if he can takeover a team like d mitchell did in his rookie yr (over rubio)
These Mitchell comparisons are super odd to me. Mitchell is a SG and not nearly the same type pf passer Morant is. Booker is a SG, nothing like Rubio. If you said something like the Paul/Harden tandem, I could see that. But Mitchell is kind of odd to me. Besides, Booker took over play making duties because no one else on the roster could.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

morant will be a rookie and the only way he will have total control of the suns offense is in the second unit.

booker is a high usage guard and that will not change with morant playing with him. the rookie will defer to the max player.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

No one is saying Booker won't continue to be a high usage guard. Just that Ja will have the majority of play making duties. Booker plays really well off ball, just hasn't had a chance to play with a passer of Morant's level.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Thanks for posting that video, In2. I really really want the Suns to get a top-2 pick. I can live with it not being Zion/#1 if we just get #2 and can grab Morant. I think he's going to be really special. And we urgently need talent at his position. I love his passing and how he runs the offense. He's not a finished product, but what he's good at is what we need.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think Morant will do just fine in the NBA and possibly be an All-Star, but that video really emphasizes how well Murray St was coached and just how bad Marquette was in general.

I'm still expecting him to have a lot of growing pains as a rookie.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:27 pm
Ok, I have a bit of a mea culpa on Morant. Before, I thought that Tyler Johnson would start ahead of him if he was picked, but I take that back. I took a lot more time watching his game recently. He will immediately be a starter and do really well. I underestimated his PnR and passing capabilities. They are fantastic. He will be a star in this league.
A lot of people miss that because the highlights are mostly dunks. He's a creator, and he's very smart.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If the Suns win the lottery and the Knicks come in a place where Ja was still available. How much do you think they would give up to move to #1? Just curious what you all think? How much would you ask for?

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:41 pm
If the Suns win the lottery and the Knicks come in a place where Ja was still available. How much do you think they would give up to move to #1? Just curious what you all think? How much would you ask for?
I don't think they would do it, but I'd ask for their pick and Kevin Knox. I'm not even entirely sure that I would do it. But it would give us at least a starting level PF to pair up with Ayton, and we'd fill our PG spot with Morant. I would definitely think about it from our end.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m not a big fan of Knox...Mitchell Robinson is there guy I’d be interested in, but I’d just take Zion instead.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, I have no interest in Knox, but I would take Robinson and then try and get Clarke somehow with Ja. IMO, the best possible draft order would be:
1. Phoenix
2. NY
3. Cleveland
4. Atl

You could move down to #2, pick up Robinson, then move down to 4 and pick up their #9 pick from the Mavs too. Then they can get both Morant and Clarke, while also adding Robinson and without giving anything in value up. Although there is a small chance that Cleveland goes for Ja to match with Sexton, but I think they probably target RJ or Culver.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I'm all for rosterbating, but I think there's an extremely slim chance we come out of this draft with 2 rookies expected to contribute. There's a much higher likelihood we come away with none.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:59 pm
I'm all for rosterbating, but I think there's an extremely slim chance we come out of this draft with 2 rookies expected to contribute. There's a much higher likelihood we come away with none.
sigh.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think you're right. It seems that the focus is going to be on vets that help win. Hence, the devaluation of the draft and scouting.

Ja seems like the right kind of pg for this team and a future star.
Clarke would also be a great fit, but like Mikal as a great role player.

Honestly, you may only want a limited amount of stars and the rest as super role players. That doesn't mean Clarke can't be a star as a role player, just more in the Draymond..Marion..Horry...Fischer type roles. Does that make sense?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

So we want vets to help win now, but want to hire Monty for his "development"?

I think we're taking Zion or Ja 1 or 2, then trading the pick if we don't land either. We'll come away with someone like Conley, Lowry, Holiday, Kemba or Reggie Jackson.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:47 am

I think we're taking Zion or Ja 1 or 2, then trading the pick if we don't land either. We'll come away with someone like Conley, Lowry, Holiday, Kemba or Reggie Jackson.
I'd be happy with any of those other than Jackson.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:43 am
ShelC wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:47 am

I'd be happy with any of those other than Jackson.
Conley--He is owed 67M over the next 2 years. It is short, so that is good. But man that is a lot of money to tie up in a +30 year old PG who averages missing 30 games a year lately.

Lowry--We shouldn't give away a #3 pick (even in a "bad" draft) for a 33 year old PG with a history of poor playoff performances.

Jrue--I am curious how he would fit next to Booker. He hasn't played at point in a while (looks like last time he spent more than 60% of his minutes there was 5 seasons ago).

Kemba--He is really, really good. And he would certainly make us a lot better immediately. But it will be a huge mistake to pay him $30M a year well into his 30s.

Jackson--only 1 year left on his deal, so risky, but I think we would get his bird rights if we trade for him. Curious what it would cost and what we would get back. I wouldn't do a straight up #3 for him.

Honestly, if it is costing us #3 plus players, I would rather use the pick, keep Tyler, and sign Ish Smith as our backup PG while we still develop Melton.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Jrue is the only one I’d give that pick up for. For Conley it’d need to be a pick swap or just the Mil pick..plus both TJ’s

Lowry is good and I wouldn’t mind having him for a year, but I’m not giving up a bunch for him.

I don’t see how kemba is an option. Would have to be a sign and trade and he’ll have better suitors.

Jrue hasn’t been the sole pg for awhile, but he’s still playing on the ball quite a bit. He’s perfect next to Booker as someone who can play on or off the ball and can defend either backcourt position at an elite level. He’s the easiest guard in the league to fit in on any team in the nba.

Reggie would be pretty easily attainable, but I think I’d pass. He’s improved as a shooter, but he’s not really a PG IMO.

My order of preference:

1. Jrue Holiday
2. Malcolm Brogdon(think chances are almost zero)
3. Ja Morant
4. Mike Conley(For the right price...not including our pick without getting Memphis pick back)
5. Darren Collison(on a 1-2 year deal as a stopgap)
6. Delon Wright
7. Tyus Jones
8. Darius Garland(Makes more sense combined with #5)
9. Lonzo
10. Terry Rozier