Suns 2017 Free Agency

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Suns 2017 Free Agency

Post by carey »

Ring_Wanted wrote: Reddick is said to be gone already. Rumored to be looking for $20M per.
I like Reddick but woah. He's not better than Klay who makes $17M/yr. Kyle Korver only made $5M last year at age 36. Reddick is 33. I would be very, very surprised if he got anything more than 3/$45 from someone. Also Reddick's numbers go down across the board in the playoffs. Percentages, points, FGAs, you name it. Not great if you're a playoff team looking for that extra piece.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

JJ Redick has lost his damn mind.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I get it guys but there's no telling what NBA teams will do. Look at Ryan Anderson, Crabbe, Deng, Mathews, Biyombo, Bazemore, Mahinmi, Mozgov, etc. All worse role players making more than 15M per under the new cap.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

I don't understsnd where a move for misap works at at all unless he wants to extend his career by being a great 6th man. But no idea why he would want that
I don't like the idea of pairing Chriss and griffen. Chris is a very average defender and I've seen him struggle on both ends against bigger players
I totally didn't mind the idea of giving up spare parts to get D Jordan since that would have at least filled a position of need

This vet free agent stuff seems to come up every season. I always feel Mc D just does it to appease Sarver.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If I'm Griff I think the Heat and OKC are more attractive options. Riley and Spo and tops, you got Goran, a defensive 5 in Whiteside (which Blake needs) and you're playing in the East. OKC is the hometown and you're playing with Westbrook. Here? Too many unknowns IMO.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Indy wrote:Good points. Tyson and Dudley would be easy to flip. BUt what does LAC want if they lose CP and Blake?
Who in the world would really want Chandler or Dudley? I do not think they would be that easy to flip.

You guys always seem to over rate your favorites. I keep hearing how easy it will be to move them. They are both overpaid for what they provide.

We have roughly 30 Million per year tied up in Tyson, Dudley and Knight. They rarely ever play and are not needed going forward with the possible exception of Chandler. They are the problem not the potential signing of Griffin to the max, if he is healthy.
First, what carey said.

Second, there were multiple inquiries last year for Tyson and he said he didn't want to go. The reason he is still on this team right now is that we said no to the other offers out of respect for Tyson.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:If I'm Griff I think the Heat and OKC are more attractive options. Riley and Spo and tops, you got Goran, a defensive 5 in Whiteside (which Blake needs) and you're playing in the East. OKC is the hometown and you're playing with Westbrook. Here? Too many unknowns IMO.
Well, all that and you aren't working for Dolan.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Indy wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:
Indy wrote:Good points. Tyson and Dudley would be easy to flip. BUt what does LAC want if they lose CP and Blake?
Who in the world would really want Chandler or Dudley? I do not think they would be that easy to flip.

You guys always seem to over rate your favorites. I keep hearing how easy it will be to move them. They are both overpaid for what they provide.

We have roughly 30 Million per year tied up in Tyson, Dudley and Knight. They rarely ever play and are not needed going forward with the possible exception of Chandler. They are the problem not the potential signing of Griffin to the max, if he is healthy.
First, what carey said.

Second, there were multiple inquiries last year for Tyson and he said he didn't want to go. The reason he is still on this team right now is that we said no to the other offers out of respect for Tyson.
Yeah that is what they said but we never ever heard any names that were involved. It may have cost us something of value to get rid of him. I just do not know were he would be a great fit. There always seem to be rumors when players like Chandler are involved, but we actually heard nothing. I really think it was more about giving the youngsters time rather than giving Chandler his wish. I actually have not problem with keeping him around unless his salary stops us from signing an important piece for our future.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:Damn you Spoelstra, you make really hard to gauge the true value of those picks!!!
Can you imagine if you had Miami's pick last year. You'd be ecstatic early on in the season only to find out you got late lottery by the time the season was over with that ridiculous run they went on.
Exactly my point, next year most likely they make a FA splash and get back to the playoffs

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/880907702888792064

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote: Reddick is said to be gone already. Rumored to be looking for $20M per.
I like Reddick but woah. He's not better than Klay who makes $17M/yr. Kyle Korver only made $5M last year at age 36. Reddick is 33. I would be very, very surprised if he got anything more than 3/$45 from someone. Also Reddick's numbers go down across the board in the playoffs. Percentages, points, FGAs, you name it. Not great if you're a playoff team looking for that extra piece.
Klay signed under the old cba. Can't compare contracts across the cba's.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:

If we're adding people next to Griffin, we'd have to have deals lined up to dump Dudley/Knight/chandler

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

OK. If this is the case then prepare yourselves to be a bit angry. We are going to have to give up picks to dump Knight. Just sayin. It will be a sign and trade. Knight and a Miami pick to the Clips for a sign and trade of Blake. Something like that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That's not terrible, but I think we can move Dudley and Chandler without attaching assets. I don't know about knight, i think we should hold onto him until someone strikes out in free agency and gets desperate.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I thought the sign and trade was essentially dead in the new cba. Did I remember it wrong?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:That's not terrible, but I think we can move Dudley and Chandler without attaching assets. I don't know about knight, i think we should hold onto him until someone strikes out in free agency and gets desperate.
How desperate does a team have to be to want to pay $14M/yr to one of the worst players in the league? I don't think anyone's that desperate. You can find somebody in the G league who will make a similar contribution on the floor without the burdensome contract.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Knight played like one of the worst players in the league last year, but he's not one of the worst. Some team might take a chance thinking they can restore his value. NO if they lose Holiday, Brooklyn if they strike out in free agency. And there's a good chance nobody will, but I'd hate to give up a 1st for him when some team in august would have taken him for free.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:
Wally_West wrote:

If we're adding people next to Griffin, we'd have to have deals lined up to dump Dudley/Knight/chandler
Ok so we survived all the draft day rumours. Just more smoke this weekend or is something dramatic gonna happen ? :? :(
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

I wouldn't count on it. We're probably going to get left at the altar again.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

iLLmatic wrote:I wouldn't count on it. We're probably going to get left at the altar again.
Which I'm fine with as well.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."