Suns News: Week 15 1/22-1/28

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JCSunsfan

Re: Suns News: Week 15 1/22-1/28

Post by JCSunsfan »

Cap wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:my question is if the article is viewed as good news or is everyone now kinda nervous.....
It isn't good news.
I don't like it. I'd rather use our cap room as a trade asset, get a good pick or prospect, and go after FA's in '19 or '20.
Its the Bledsoe trade that moved things quicker. We got $15 million or so in cap money we did not expect to have until 2019. It makes sense to speed things up a bit since we have the money now. Its a good thing free agency is after the draft. I think we should consolidate a bunch of assets and move to get another pick in the top 7-8. We are not going to trade into the top 5, but 7 might be doable. But it will cost. I posted this on another thread.

One of the young forwards, in Chriss or Bender. Hopefully they will improve a little by summer
Both later picks. Milwaukee could end up around 14, Miami maybe 18. Plus a future Suns unrestricted first (that will be the valuable piece).

I would love to come out of this draft with a pg and a big. Maybe Trae with the 1-5 pick and JJJr or Bamba with a 7 pick. If Porter is there at 7 take him.

We have some confirmed building blocks now in Booker, TJ, and JJ (he is going to be good). Bender and Chriss are big question marks.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:my question is if the article is viewed as good news or is everyone now kinda nervous.....
It isn't good news.
I don't like it. I'd rather use our cap room as a trade asset, get a good pick or prospect, and go after FA's in '19 or '20.
Depending on how we spend our money this off-season, we could still have space in 2019 when Chandler and Dudley come off the cap.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Free Agents To Watch
Houston center Clint Capela (restricted free agent), Orlando power forward Aaron Gordon (restricted), Chicago forward Nikola Mirotic, New York center Enes Kanter, Utah forward Derrick Favors, Memphis guard Tyreke Evans, Portland center Jusuf Nurkic (restricted), Orlando guard Elfrid Payton and Boston guard Marcus Smart (restricted).

“We’ll probably be more aggressive in June and July than we have been the last couple of years,” McDonough said.
Capela is interesting if Houston goes after some big names this summer. Don't think they'll let him get away though. I kinda like Tyreke at PG if we don't draft one with our top pick. I'd like Gordon too, but I imagine Orlando wants to keep him.
“One of the things we’re excited about in this draft is if all the players we expect to declare are in, I think the strength of the draft is where we can use some help, at the one and the five primarily,” McDonough said. “We’re kind of searching for answers long-term at those positions.”
Nobody from that list really interests me. Maybe Gordon. Capela seems like one of those players that looks pretty good on one team but then he's average on our team. Think Luc Longley.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Capela is not Luc Longley. Lol.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Capela is not L** L******. Lol.
You missed my point. I'm not saying they're the same players or play similarly. Read the sentence before the one quoted above.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Capela won't be as effective with the Suns as he is with the Rockets.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
It isn't good news.
I get the feeling Sarver is behind this.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Cap wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Whatever became of his kid(d) with the huge head? TJ?
He grew into his head.

Not really.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Cap wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Whatever became of his kid(d) with the huge head? TJ?
He grew into his head.

She aged well. Just sayin.
Agreed.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:Capela won't be as effective with the Suns as he is with the Rockets.
Thank you for spelling it out. That's my point.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
Free Agents To Watch
Houston center Clint Capela (restricted free agent), Orlando power forward Aaron Gordon (restricted), Chicago forward Nikola Mirotic, New York center Enes Kanter, Utah forward Derrick Favors, Memphis guard Tyreke Evans, Portland center Jusuf Nurkic (restricted), Orlando guard Elfrid Payton and Boston guard Marcus Smart (restricted).

“We’ll probably be more aggressive in June and July than we have been the last couple of years,” McDonough said.
Capela is interesting if Houston goes after some big names this summer. Don't think they'll let him get away though. I kinda like Tyreke at PG if we don't draft one with our top pick. I'd like Gordon too, but I imagine Orlando wants to keep him.
“One of the things we’re excited about in this draft is if all the players we expect to declare are in, I think the strength of the draft is where we can use some help, at the one and the five primarily,” McDonough said. “We’re kind of searching for answers long-term at those positions.”
Nobody from that list really interests me. Maybe Gordon. Capela seems like one of those players that looks pretty good on one team but then he's average on our team. Think L** L******.

You're probably right about Capela. He's really just a lob threat on offense. He's good defensively, but probably not on the level of gobert or Dwight/Tyson in their primes. He's not as incompetent offensively as biyombo, but he might have similar issues if he's not on a team with elite passers and shooters.

Tyreke Evans is interesting to me, the big knock on him had always been his lack of a jumpshot, but he's shooting very well this year on a high number of attempts. He's long and gets into the paint pretty easily. He's also a good passer and could run the point a bit. I wouldn't break the bank for him, but if he struggles to find a landing spot, I'd definitely throw him an offer and see if we could land him on a decent contract. A JJ reddick, 1 year at a big salary, deal would be great. I like Will Barton for similar reasons and both are young enough that they could be solid vets for our future

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Don't like Capela. I do like Gordon for the right price (not the max) but only if we turn around and immediately flip one of our 4's for another asset. I do like Nurkic in place of Len if we end up missing out on the big C's in the draft.

Split T

Post by Split T »

For those who were upset we ended up with Jackson instead of Tatum, January stats for the 2:

11/5/1 for Tatum shooting .40/.36/.70
15/5/2 for Jackson shooting .47/.36/.70

Not saying Jackson is better, just that maybe we don't know who ends up better yet.

carey

Post by carey »

Giggity Giggity, Jackson!
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I've been saying it since this summer, the Suns need to be aggressive this summer in all aspects. I'm not surprised at all that McDonough has changed his tune. Clearly Booker is getting extremely frustrated and ready for the all-star break. They need to make a giant jump in competitiveness this next year. Although I wouldn't trade the 2019 pick unprotected, since it could be another deep draft with the inclusion of the 2018 and 2019 hs classes in it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

You'll know by the trade deadline how aggressive we'll be. If we keep Monroe so his contract expires and we shed another salary or 2 (two of Knight, Chandler, Dudley) we will be the most aggressive team in FA this Summer.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:You'll know by the trade deadline how aggressive we'll be. If we keep Monroe so his contract expires and we shed another salary or 2 (two of Knight, Chandler, Dudley) we will be the most aggressive team in FA this Summer.
What does that get us? DeAndre? IT? I wouldn't be a fan of those moves. LeBron, Durant, PG-13, and Paul aren't coming here. That really just leaves guys like Tyreke Evans, Will Barton, and the restricted class as big money targets. My guess is we make some plays for restricted FA(Gordon, Capela, Jabari) and probably have their team match. I hope we don't turn to Randle, he's definitely attainable, but I don't like him on our team. I don't think he's a good fit next to Warren.

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:
carey wrote:You'll know by the trade deadline how aggressive we'll be. If we keep Monroe so his contract expires and we shed another salary or 2 (two of Knight, Chandler, Dudley) we will be the most aggressive team in FA this Summer.
What does that get us? DeAndre? IT? I wouldn't be a fan of those moves. LeBron, Durant, PG-13, and Paul aren't coming here. That really just leaves guys like Tyreke Evans, Will Barton, and the restricted class as big money targets. My guess is we make some plays for restricted FA(Gordon, Capela, Jabari) and probably have their team match. I hope we don't turn to Randle, he's definitely attainable, but I don't like him on our team. I don't think he's a good fit next to Warren.
Everything you said is true. I was just pointing out that February will likely tell us what we're doing this Summer.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You just know the Suns are going to make a stupid FA move this summer in the name of "staying competitive" and "accelerating the timeline" and "competing for a chance at the playoffs." My Spidey-senses are telling me they'll sign DeAndre Jordan to a max contract or something moronic like that.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

I’ll admit, at first I viewed it as bad news, but now I just view it as NEWS. It’s up to our front office to turn the news into something good, by going for complimentary, young, proven, not overpriced free agents; of which I don’t see many.
We will need to lose players to fit free agents in, especially position wise; this signals open market for trades