Suns Coach 2018-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

So who do you want to see as a coach in 2018-19 (and beyond)?

Grass isn't always greener: Triano--What more could you ask with the group of guys we had this year and the development we have seen?
13%
Tried and true: Previous NBA head coach with bona fides / playoff wins
46%
Make the jump: Current NCAA head coach with bona fides / good tourny showings
10%
Shake it up: New coach from the assistant ranks across the league
18%
You make the call:Your poll options suck, Indy
13%

Total votes: 39

specialsauce

Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:DIdn't realize his injury was only in September. Feels like he's been out a lot longer.
THis season feels like 3.
LoL KnOcK iT OfF

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:DIdn't realize his injury was only in September. Feels like he's been out a lot longer.
LoL KnOcK iT OfF
The best part is that I didn't plan that. My shift finger is slower than my other ones.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
LoL KnOcK iT OfF
The best part is that I didn't plan that. My shift finger is slower than my other ones.
There are exercises for that.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

:lol:

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:I just don't see it with Len, he's a good defensive anchor/rebounder but he's not elite and that's what you need to be if you're a non shooter and completely dependent on others offensively. He's like the 60% version of Gobert.
This. He's young Robin Lopez. While that's fine, it's nothing to get worked up about. He only looks good in comparison to our other bad options.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Speaking of Williams, did he get a prosthetic leg? What the hell is taking so long with his recovery?
It wasn't a scope. It was a full blown meniscus repair. So once it is all healed, then he will have to do all the work to get back into playing shape. I didn't expect him back until march or so. I haven't heard an update lately.
I heard we should not expect him back this season.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Speaking of Williams, did he get a prosthetic leg? What the hell is taking so long with his recovery?
It wasn't a scope. It was a full blown meniscus repair. So once it is all healed, then he will have to do all the work to get back into playing shape. I didn't expect him back until march or so. I haven't heard an update lately.
I heard we should not expect him back this season.
Do you have some source you aren't telling us about lol

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Split T wrote:I just don't see it with Len, he's a good defensive anchor/rebounder but he's not elite and that's what you need to be if you're a non shooter and completely dependent on others offensively. He's like the 60% version of Gobert.
This. He's young Robin Lopez. While that's fine, it's nothing to get worked up about. He only looks good in comparison to our other bad options.
THat is fair, and nobody is expecting him to be a top 15 center in the league. But if Alex is 60% of Gobert, Tyson has to be like 12%. Tyson is fantastic at getting the tip at the start of the game. Other than that, I am not sure what else he has. He doesn't even rebound like he did last year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
THat is fair, and nobody is expecting him to be a top 15 center in the league. But if Alex is 60% of Gobert, Tyson has to be like 12%. Tyson is fantastic at getting the tip at the start of the game. Other than that, I am not sure what else he has. He doesn't even rebound like he did last year.
Sure, that's fair. But Tyson is on his way out and I don't expect him to play much next year in his last year. He may not even be here.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Sure, that's fair. But Tyson is on his way out and I don't expect him to play much next year in his last year. He may not even be here.
We didn't expect him to play much this year either. He was supposed to be a great locker room presence. But instead we play him like he is a 28 year old at the top of his game. It is frustrating. I would rather be playing guys we are giving a look to from the G league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He still sits a lot and I expect we'll see less of him after the all star break. Especially if Williams comes back. I'd be all for running a Bender/Williams rotation at the 5 with Len getting whatever is left over.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Why not have a poll on Suns GM for 2018-19 - that is the position that has failed to deliver for this franchise, not the coach.

Why in the world is Triano's coaching acumen even being questioned? This franchise continues to throw coaches under the buss. How has that worked out.

The Age of McDonough
13/14 Hornacek - 48/34
14/15 Hornacek - 39/43
15/16 Hornacek/Watson - 23/59
16/17 Watson - 24/58
17/18 Watson/Triano - 18 Wins and counting.

There is one constant in this failure - McDonough - well also the boss that hired him Robert Sarver

Triano has had no point guard to run his offense or defense after McDonough dumped Bledsoe. He dumped Bledsoe and did not replace him. How stupid was that. He acquired Payton and he was dumped by his previous team and will be a free agent this off season. He has had no one capable of playing consistently at the 4 or 5. We do have some nice players at the 2 and 3. Those players have progressed nicely. Booker is Booker, Warren has improved and it looks like Jackson is going to be the player we all hoped.

Another poll to put the blame on the coach and cover McDonough's ass. McDonough should apologize to Triano and the fans for the roster he has given him to coach and us to watch. We arguably do not have anyone at the 1, 4 or 5 that would not start on any other roster in the NBA prior to the acquisition of Payton with the possible exception of Chandler.

Needs Entering the off season:
Point guard - Payton is a Free Agent and do we even want him back?
Center - Chandler is under contract and over the hill cannot play every night - Williams is undersized and probably a career back up - Len will be gone.
PF - Everyone has high hopes for Bender me included, but he could be a bust, Chriss needs a brain transplant - for as athletic as he is supposed to be he has to be the worst finisher in the NBA and far too often just wanders around the court or so it appears. I really do not know what to do with him.

Does anyone believe that the coach of the team for 18/19 will have these positions filled with capable players by the current GM, come November 2018? I am done with the timeline I want a team capable of competing night in night out.

In the end I would certainly interview other coaches, if anyone is interested. However Triano would also be interviewed I do not think he is as near as bad as our record would indicate. He does not deserve to be thrown under the buss, especially by an inept General Manager.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

Split T

Post by Split T »

This whole timeline thing really hasn't had enough time to produce results. It's only lasted two drafts. Expecting 18/19 year olds to be good NBA starters in 2 years is not what we should be doing.

Criticize him for botching the 13-14 team with dragic/Bledsoe and by trading for knight and resigning Knight. But I think criticizing him for the timeline not being ready yet is dumb. We've drafted Bender, Chriss, and Jackson. Let's give them time to grow.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JustWinBaby wrote: Why in the world is Triano's coaching acumen even being questioned?
Because Triano is not under contract next season, and the Suns have to make a decision about whether to hire him or someone else.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Assuming he wants the job...

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:This whole timeline thing really hasn't had enough time to produce results. It's only lasted two drafts.
Yeha, I've said it before, but people seem to have the feeling that we've been tanking ever since we last made the playoffs, when in reality we've produced a bunch of mediocre seasons trying to compete, from the last couple of Nash years to the Hornacek period.

Losing by design happened in '12-13 (remember Scola? haha) and, under McD, in '15-16 and '16-17 plus the current season of course.
Criticize him for botching the 13-14 team with dragic/Bledsoe and by trading for knight and resigning Knight.
Absolutely. Some player (I believe it was Goran after the breakup) even said that after that season, it was assumed the team would go after a big man but instead they just added another starter PG. IT was a colossal mistake.
But I think criticizing him for the timeline not being ready yet is dumb. We've drafted Bender, Chriss, and Jackson. Let's give them time to grow.
Overall I tend to agree, but critics are not without merit. Already has fired two coaches and has a monster blunder in Knight. Bender is a role player, Chriss is more than halfway there as a bust and Jackson needs to grow a ton to be a meritable selection. Booker and Warren were terrific picks but the reality is that McD will be ultimately judged on what happens this draft and offseason. He'll have his time to finish executing the 3 year standard tanking/rebuild, but if by 1/3 of the '18-19 season we are still this pitiful or close to it, he is getting the axe no doubt.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:This whole timeline thing really hasn't had enough time to produce results. It's only lasted two drafts.
Yeha, I've said it before, but people seem to have the feeling that we've been tanking ever since we last made the playoffs, when in reality we've produced a bunch of mediocre seasons trying to compete, from the last couple of Nash years to the Hornacek period.

Losing by design happened in '12-13 (remember Scola? haha) and, under McD, in '15-16 and '16-17 plus the current season of course.
Criticize him for botching the 13-14 team with dragic/Bledsoe and by trading for knight and resigning Knight.
Absolutely. Some player (I believe it was Goran after the breakup) even said that after that season, it was assumed the team would go after a big man but instead they just added another starter PG. IT was a colossal mistake.
But I think criticizing him for the timeline not being ready yet is dumb. We've drafted Bender, Chriss, and Jackson. Let's give them time to grow.
Overall I tend to agree, but critics are not without merit. Already has fired two coaches and has a monster blunder in Knight. Bender is a role player, Chriss is more than halfway there as a bust and Jackson needs to grow a ton to be a meritable selection. Booker and Warren were terrific picks but the reality is that McD will be ultimately judged on what happens this draft and offseason. He'll have his time to finish executing the 3 year standard tanking/rebuild, but if by 1/3 of the '18-19 season we are still this pitiful or close to it, he is getting the axe no doubt.

Ya I think that's all fair. McD is surely not without blame, even when you just focus on the tanking seasons. I do think the fact that we haven't made the playoffs in 8 years? Makes it feel like we've been tanking the whole time when in reality it's been 2-3 years.

And you're right, this off-season needs to be a franchise altering one or he's done. I'm really interested to see what he's going to do. There was an interview on one of the Suns sites posted with him talking about this summer and he said it was time to start putting better players around Booker this summer. He specifically mentioned on top of the good player we'll draft, so it doesn't sound like we'll be sticking with the status quo of drafting a top prospect, re-signing Payton and running it back.

My guess? We'll make a play for Love. I think we'll still re-sign Payton, draft a 5, then put a package together for love. I'm not sure what it will take, probably depends on LeBron. If he leaves, they'll probably want picks and young players. Maybe something built around Chriss and a draft pick or two.

Payton/Booker/Jackson/Love/JJJ with Ulis/Reed/Warren/Bender/Williams off the bench. Knight, Daniels, Dudley, Chandler filling out the bench if they're still here.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The McD quote was from here:

http://arizonasports.com/story/1424054/ ... in-booker/
“He’s [Booker] a really good player who deserves better players around him and we’ll do whatever we can to make that happen this upcoming offseason,” McDonough told Doug & Wolf.
“I think you’ll see us be more aggressive than we have been and that’s probably after adding a very talented player in this draft,” McDonough told Doug & Wolf.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:The McD quote was from here:

http://arizonasports.com/story/1424054/ ... in-booker/
“He’s [Booker] a really good player who deserves better players around him and we’ll do whatever we can to make that happen this upcoming offseason,” McDonough told Doug & Wolf.
“I think you’ll see us be more aggressive than we have been and that’s probably after adding a very talented player in this draft,” McDonough told Doug & Wolf.
Got it.

This sounds well in theory, but this UFA class is pretty poor (assuming no LeBron/KD or George/Cousins/Paul).

You have the RFAs from the 2014 draft (Gordon, LaVine, Jabari, Nurkic, Capela, Smart, Randle) but you know how RFA works; max/overpay or gtfo.

Then not much on the 'realistic' UFA front: DeAndre Jordan, Avery Bradley, Favors, Dedmond.

Perhaps our best shot is to dangle expirings and picks/prospects for somebody under contract. But regardless, the most important thing is to find a good coach.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Here's the thing - they've been trying to acquire good players to put around him for a couple of years now (I assume), and how successful have they been at that?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695