Suns News: Week 25 4/2-4/10

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Suns News: Week 25 4/2-4/10

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:If Booker were ever to want to leave us, he wouldn't do it by refusing to sign. He'd do it by signing here for a max contract, then publicly complaining and demanding a trade.
Thats the smart thing to do.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:If Booker were ever to want to leave us, he wouldn't do it by refusing to sign. He'd do it by signing here for a max contract, then publicly complaining and demanding a trade.
Shut yo mouth. That's not going to happen. We're going to start putting the right pieces around him and we're going to start winning and everybody is going to say what a great up and coming team we have in Phoenix.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Shut yo mouth. That's not going to happen. We're going to start putting the right pieces around him and we're going to start winning and everybody is going to say what a great up and coming team we have in Phoenix.
Haha, I meant if it were to come to that situation, take the money 1st.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Haha, I meant if it were to come to that situation, take the money 1st.
I know. That puts the onus on Sarver and McDonough. And they better come through. Or else!

"Be Legendary."

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Like a true Phoenix Sun.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AZCentral's 5 storylines that defined this Suns season.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 496392002/

They are:

1) Earl Watson fired
2) Eric Bledsoe: "I don't wanna be here" => trade
3) Josh Jackson is benched
4) McDonough accelerates the timeline
5) Inconsistency from Chriss/Bender

I would agree with the first two, but the next 3 aren't storylines if you ask me.

I would have included something like "3) Josh Jackson evolves" to indicate his impressive growth as a player over the season (I think that's what their #3 is meant to represent). #4 makes no sense and is just hollow words from the GM.

I'd probably instead include something like "4) Revolving door at PG" to indicate all the dudes we had at that position this year. So many guys who would show us 4-5 good games and then crater.

I guess "5) inconsistency from Chriss/Bender" is pretty representative of the season. I would tend to focus on something else, though. I was really impressed with TJ Warren this year. He really solidified himself as the #2 guy on the team before they shut him down with injuries, including scoring 20 ppg on almost every given night. So I guess my top 5 stories from the season would be:

1) Earl Watson fired
2) Eric Bledsoe trade
3) Josh Jackson evolves into an NBA starter
4) Revolving door at point guard
5) TJ Warren as #2 guy for first 2/3 of season

What's your list? What did I forget?

carey

Post by carey »

I'm sorry but how did they think McDonough accelerated the timeline???
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

carey wrote:I'm sorry but how did they think McDonough accelerated the timeline???
They’re referring to McDonough’s announcement that he plans to accelerate the timeline this summer. They describe this announcement as “music to Suns fans’ ears.” Horseshit.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Even tho Payton kinda flamed out, trading for him was a good move and brought some hope/excitement, if only for a little while.

The only storyline around Chriss/Bender is that they didn't make the leap many of us had hoped for. Chriss regressed hard until recently, Bender again showed flashes but nothing consistent to make you think he'll be a starter any time soon.

Aside from that? There's not much. Sucks that this was the 50th anniversary and not only was it a terrible season, but a pretty bland one after the Watson/Bledsoe stuff blew over.
Last edited by ShelC on Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
carey wrote:I'm sorry but how did they think McDonough accelerated the timeline???
They’re referring to McDonough’s announcement that he plans to accelerate the timeline this summer. They describe this announcement as “music to Suns fans’ ears.” Horseshit.
Actions speak louder than words. This is a HUGE offseason for your Phoenix Suns. Let's see what happens. I expect next year's roster and starting lineup to be significantly different and for us to start winning at least close to half our games.

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:AZCentral's 5 storylines that defined this Suns season.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 496392002/

They are:

1) Earl Watson fired
2) Eric Bledsoe: "I don't wanna be here" => trade
3) Josh Jackson is benched
4) McDonough accelerates the timeline
5) Inconsistency from Chriss/Bender

I would agree with the first two, but the next 3 aren't storylines if you ask me.

I would have included something like "3) Josh Jackson evolves" to indicate his impressive growth as a player over the season (I think that's what their #3 is meant to represent). #4 makes no sense and is just hollow words from the GM.

I'd probably instead include something like "4) Revolving door at PG" to indicate all the dudes we had at that position this year. So many guys who would show us 4-5 good games and then crater.

I guess "5) inconsistency from Chriss/Bender" is pretty representative of the season. I would tend to focus on something else, though. I was really impressed with TJ Warren this year. He really solidified himself as the #2 guy on the team before they shut him down with injuries, including scoring 20 ppg on almost every given night. So I guess my top 5 stories from the season would be:

1) Earl Watson fired
2) Eric Bledsoe trade
3) Josh Jackson evolves into an NBA starter
4) Revolving door at point guard
5) TJ Warren as #2 guy for first 2/3 of season

What's your list? What did I forget?
When they talk about their Top Stories, I think they are going back to articles that got the most view/shares, etc. The stuff that fans seemed most interested to read.

I think your 5 are the most important things that shaped the future of the tea, except I would combine the Watson / Bledsoe move and keep the headline about Bender and Chriss.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:Even tho Payton kinda flamed out, trading for him was a good move and brought some hope/excitement, if only for a little while.

The only storyline around Chriss/Bender is that they didn't make the leap many of us had hoped for. Chriss regressed hard until recently, Bender again showed flashes but nothing consistent to make you think he'll be a starter any time soon.

Aside from that? There's not much. Such that this was the 50th anniversary and not only was it a terrible season, but a pretty bland one after the Watson/Bledsoe stuff blew over.
Agree about Payton and Chriss, but I would say that Bender was significantly better than he was last year. He certainly didn't progress as quickly as we've seen Booker or Jackson progress, but he's sooo much better than he was last year.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Bender was better for sure but the bar was so low already it's kind of hard to really get excited. It's not like he had an extended stretch of doing anything particularly well, be it scoring, rebounding, hitting 3s, or passing.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

All fair points. I agree that Bender is a lot better. He's still 20. I want to give him a few more years. I think he's going to be a really nice role player when we are a good team. He'll give us exactly what we'll want from a 2020 PF: defense, rebounding, outside shooting. And he won't demand the ball on every play or be a prima donna about it. He's going to pay off if we're patient with him.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:All fair points. I agree that Bender is a lot better. He's still 20. I want to give him a few more years. I think he's going to be a really nice role player when we are a good team. He'll give us exactly what we'll want from a 2020 PF: defense, rebounding, outside shooting. And he won't demand the ball on every play or be a prima donna about it. He's going to pay off if we're patient with him.
I think we could see another year of positive development followed by a Warren-like contract extension that would become in a bargain by the middle of it. Having one or two of your starters underpaid (either by rookie scale or extension before the leap) is key if you want to round up a contender before any tax punishment.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

If I may be allowed to edit them a bit -

1) Earl Watson fired/Bledsoe traded
2) Josh Jackson is benched/Returns with improved game
3) Inconsistency from Chriss/Bender/Ulis
4) Suns fail to find PG to replace Bledsoe
5) Suns collapse in second half of season and finish up at the bottom of the league
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:All fair points. I agree that Bender is a lot better. He's still 20. I want to give him a few more years. I think he's going to be a really nice role player when we are a good team. He'll give us exactly what we'll want from a 2020 PF: defense, rebounding, outside shooting. And he won't demand the ball on every play or be a prima donna about it. He's going to pay off if we're patient with him.
You forgot the most important trait of a 2020 PF: good vision. 8-)

"Be Legendary."

jonh

Post by jonh »

Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Actions speak louder than words. This is a HUGE offseason for your Phoenix Suns. Let's see what happens. I expect next year's roster and starting lineup to be significantly different and for us to start winning at least close to half our games.
Since the Suns real season has been the offseason the last few years, it would be interesting to have an "offseason prediction thread", where people make predictions about (a) who stays/traded, (b) who is traded for, (c) draft order, (d) draft selection, (e) head coach selection, and (since this is the suns), (f) which player will be most unhappy with their current role.

carey

Re: RE: Re: Suns News: Week 25 4/2-4/10

Post by carey »

jonh wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Since the Suns real season has been the offseason the last few years, it would be interesting to have an "offseason prediction thread", where people make predictions about (a) who stays/traded, (b) who is traded for, (c) draft order, (d) draft selection, (e) head coach selection, and (since this is the suns), (f) which player will be most unhappy with their current role.
We usually have one. Feel free to start it.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

4) Suns fail to find PG to replace Nash
FTFY.