Who would you pick if we (OGW-willing) landed #1?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Who is your first choice if we land #1

Doncic
57%
Ayton
41%
Bagley
No votes
JJJ
No votes
Young
No votes
Bamba
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 61

JCSunsfan

Re: Who would you pick if we (OGW-willing) landed #1?

Post by JCSunsfan »

Superbone wrote:I think I'm starting to waver back to Ayton over Doncic. Ayton is just more of the sure thing. He would probably mesh better with Booker too.
Ayton has the best NBA body to be in the draft since AD. He is 7-1, 240, with a 7-5 wingspan and a 44 inch vertical. He has not even been challenged in college ball. He moves like a guard. He has a sweet jumper that is compact and NOT broken in any way. He has no injury history. He has all the post moves and a great face up game. He is a very good rebounder with translates.

Would love to see more blocks and better defense, but he played pf on defense for UofA and ended up defending on the perimeter a lot.

Ayton is above all the rest. Picks 2-4 are about equal to me. Doncic/Young/Bagley/JJJ. Take your pick.

TOO

Post by TOO »

UglyTruth wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
In2ition wrote:I saw an OKC fan propose a trade last night that would reset and rebuild the Thunder if George leaves. They would trade Westbrook and Adams for the Suns '18 pick, Josh Jackson and contracts.
I love Adams, but I think Russ 100% alienates Booker, thus I turn it down without much hesitation. Russ is incredible, I am just not sure you can win with him.
Crazy, I remember from 2003-2008, people used to say the same thing about Kobe (win with him as main option).
Kobe never had to walk onto someone elses team. Also, what exactly did Kobe win without Shaq or Pau around..?

Cap

Post by Cap »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Superbone wrote:I think I'm starting to waver back to Ayton over Doncic. Ayton is just more of the sure thing. He would probably mesh better with Booker too.
Ayton has the best NBA body to be in the draft since AD. He is 7-1, 240, with a 7-5 wingspan and a 44 inch vertical. He has not even been challenged in college ball. He moves like a guard. He has a sweet jumper that is compact and NOT broken in any way. He has no injury history. He has all the post moves and a great face up game. He is a very good rebounder with translates.

Would love to see more blocks and better defense, but he played pf on defense for UofA and ended up defending on the perimeter a lot.

Ayton is above all the rest. Picks 2-4 are about equal to me. Doncic/Young/Bagley/JJJ. Take your pick.
Vertical leap is kind of an overrated stat, though it does make for some exciting action.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

As much as I hate on Westbrook: If they would give him (and Adams!) to us for that package of #1 pick + Josh Jackson + salary ballast, you HAVE to do that trade. Westbrook, flaws and all, is one of the ten best players in the NBA. Pairing him with Booker would instantly supercharge our backcourt. And if he didn't work well here, he has huge trade value and could net us better assets than the ones we paid to get him.

If OKC is offering you Westbrook and you don't have to give up Booker, you do that deal, 100%.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:As much as I hate on Westbrook: If they would give him (and Adams!) to us for that package of #1 pick + Josh Jackson + salary ballast, you HAVE to do that trade. Westbrook, flaws and all, is one of the ten best players in the NBA. Pairing him with Booker would instantly supercharge our backcourt. And if he didn't work well here, he has huge trade value and could net us better assets than the ones we paid to get him.

If OKC is offering you Westbrook and you don't have to give up Booker, you do that deal, 100%.
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MARTY?

Split T

Post by Split T »

If westbrook can be convinced to play in Igor's system, then sure I'd do it. He's a fantastic talent, but I don't want the Westbrook of the last two years on this team.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:As much as I hate on Westbrook: If they would give him (and Adams!) to us for that package of #1 pick + Josh Jackson + salary ballast, you HAVE to do that trade. Westbrook, flaws and all, is one of the ten best players in the NBA. Pairing him with Booker would instantly supercharge our backcourt. And if he didn't work well here, he has huge trade value and could net us better assets than the ones we paid to get him.

:) He's too valuable both as a player and as an asset.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Indy wrote:

:) He's too valuable both as a player and as an asset.
McDo doesn't have any experience in turning assets into anything but more assets. I don't want the Westbrook that thinks it's OK to take 40 shots a game.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I wouldn't expect a Westbrook-Booker backcourt to work out.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It feels like we'd make the playoffs in year 1 with that trade. How far that team make up could go would be the question.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I’d rather have Kawhi. And neither of them for josh AND the #1 pick

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

It doesn't matter who the coach is with Westbrook - he is the system. He does nothing off the ball or on defense (at least until the playoffs where he shuts down Rubio) so his fit with Booker is as bad as it gets. I'd rather wait a year and see where the team is with the pick, Jackson, Booker and the new coach.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The problem with giving up Jackson and in theory Ayton for Kahwi is that they will continue to have holes at both pg and c.

Even the OKC fan thinks that the Suns have really good assets and are very close and should probably stay the course.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

If Kawhi checks out medically and commits to staying, then I'd be fine going all in on him. I would be much more cautious with Westbrook, he'd have to be willing to play within a system and not be the system.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think Kawhi wants to go to a big media/endorsement market, like LA or NY.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I think Kawhi wants to go to a big media/endorsement market, like LA or NY.
That is what eveyone keeps saying but he appears shy and not very outgoing. Those markets are great when eveything is going great but can be downright brutal when they go wrong.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I think Kawhi wants to go to a big media/endorsement market, like LA or NY.
That is what eveyone keeps saying but he appears shy and not very outgoing. Those markets are great when eveything is going great but can be downright brutal when they go wrong.
Yeah I don’t think that’s what he is looking into.

And I wouldn’t trade for him without a long term agreement

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

I do find it interesting that other teams are looking at our assets and thinking they would be useful on their teams. Half of our fan base underestimates what we’ve got and the other half overestimates.
I’d keep the top 2 pick along with Booker & Jackson. The trades I’d be looking at are more along the 16 & other players to possibly move up or trade for more experienced help in whichever gap we have left after the first pick.
Pick Ayton- fill the hole with trading up for Young if you can or trade for a more experienced pg.
Pick Donic- trade up to pick the best Big available, or go after who you can get.

I’m not for trading 3/4 pieces for one star when we have so many other gaps we need filling.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Good article on Doncic

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/994558936618491904

Split T

Post by Split T »

Phoenix Suns | Top-2 odds: 46.5 percent

Value proposition: Kokoskov relationship + Devin Booker

Backcourt mate: Booker, Tyler Ulis

Two-way wing: Josh Jackson, TJ Warren

Modern forward/big: Dragan Bender

Roller: Marquese Chriss, Tyson Chandler

The hiring of Igor Kokoskov as head coach is a home run for Doncic and his development if he lands in Phoenix. Kokoskov is a creative offensive mind who knows how to unlock Doncic's strengths, as he showed coaching Slovenia to the EuroBasket gold medal.

Playing next to a shot creator like Booker would bode well in some respects. However, Doncic would benefit from having a bit more experience and point-guard savvy in that spot. While accomplished, the 21-year-old Booker is still developing his on-ball game and is much more of a shot-making scorer at this stage. Defensively, Doncic and Booker will have their challenges.

Phoenix lacks a degree of spacing with Jackson (26.3 percent from 3 this season), Warren (22.2 percent) and Chriss (29.5 percent) on the perimeter, but Jackson and Warren could run with Doncic in transition. Bender is also an interesting fit, should the Croatian continue to make strides as a shooter. With Alex Len hitting free agency and Chandler toward the end of his career, the Suns don't quite have that dynamic lob-catcher.

A young trio of Doncic, Booker and Jackson (and potentially Bender, pending improvement) is intriguing, but Phoenix would have to work on acquiring more veteran ballhandling, shooting and athleticism up front over the next few years. And entering a rebuild would be an adjustment after all of his European success.