2018 NBA Finals

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: 2018 NBA Finals

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:59 pm
show-boat
Damn it Indy. I was not being able to put into words why I couldn't like the Warriors. This is it. Thank you so much ahhaha.

Well, that and the amazing run from LeBron. We truly are witnessing.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:55 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:50 pm
I just don't understand why the Cavs continue to play JR Smith. He may be the dumbest player in the entire league.
He actually has stiff competition on the Warrios with Javale and Nick Young hahaah.
That is true :lol: . But at least those two don't play extended minutes

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:56 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:51 am
I also don't think Love should be suspended. He was coming out to argue the call before the skirmish even started and as soon as it did and he was already on the court, he walked back to the bench.
This is exactly what the league decided.

Fair enough.
After watching video of the incident, I would agree. He didn't come off the bench as the altercation started. He was already on the court and then turned and walked right back as soon as it began.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:18 pm
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:55 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:50 pm
I just don't understand why the Cavs continue to play JR Smith. He may be the dumbest player in the entire league.
He actually has stiff competition on the Warrios with Javale and Nick Young hahaah.
That is true :lol: . But at least those two don't play extended minutes
The problem is that Cavs don't have anyone else. As stupid as JR is, Clarkson is worse. And I don't know what happened to Hood. Maybe Osman should play some (at least instead of Clarkson, ugh).

Split T

Post by Split T »

They should just throw Hood out there and see what he can do

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:12 pm
Rodney Hood is a bum of the highest caliber.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:41 am
Rules are rules. They are not supposed to change that call, only to look and see if in restricted area. If that’s what they want to do, they should change the rule.
The ref that explains things on the broadcast said they did change the rule. They can review if the player was in the restricted area and in the process also change the call. Which in effect means they can review charge/block calls and pretend they are looking at the restricted area, like this time when James was obviously out of it.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Calderon, Cedi, Nance and and Zizic. Remove Smith and Clarkson. Reduce TT, use Love at C.

Split T

Post by Split T »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:14 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:12 pm
Rodney Hood is a bum of the highest caliber.
He had his moments in Utah. He can get his own shot and he's been a good 3 pt shooter in the past. Can't hurt to give him a shot. Is he going to be worse than Clarkson and JR? I guess maybe, but that would be hard to do.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

Hermen wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:15 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Rules are rules. They are not supposed to change that call, only to look and see if in restricted area. If that’s what they want to do, they should change the rule.
The ref that explains things on the broadcast said they did change the rule. They can review if the player was in the restricted area and in the process also change the call. Which in effect means they can review charge/block calls and pretend they are looking at the restricted area, like this time when James was obviously out of it.

Exactly

They need to take that power out of the refs hands and put into the coaches hands, via chalkenges

Indy

Post by Indy »

Bucktastic365 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:33 pm
Hermen wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:15 pm
specialsauce wrote:

Exactly

They need to take that power out of the refs hands and put into the coaches hands, via chalkenges
Yeah, as much as people get sick of hearing JVG talk about rules, he is right about all of it. And I swear that he would be a lot better as a color guy if Mark Jackson weren't his partner. That guy is worthless as a live basketball commentator. He has a better skillset for in-studio analysis, so he can plan what he wants to say.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Green commited a lane violation on Hill's second FT and he should have been rewarded with another attempt. Also the refs missed a Green foul of LeBron with 12 seconds remaining (before Hill was fouled):

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/06/01/ ... ron-james/
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

If Lebron keeps up his incredible standard for the rest of the series, but the Cavs lose easily (4-1 or swept), do you think he'll be named Finals MVP? Has anyone from the losing team ever won Finals MVP?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Gladiator wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:12 pm
If Lebron keeps up his incredible standard for the rest of the series, but the Cavs lose easily (4-1 or swept), do you think he'll be named Finals MVP? Has anyone from the losing team ever won Finals MVP?

Jerry West, 1969.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori, is there a feature on this upgraded version of phx-suns.net that can auto-delete any posts from this season where a poster advocated trading for Jordan Clarkson? Asking for a friend (SpecialSauce).

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:21 pm
Gladiator wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Jerry West, 1969.
I'm too young to remember, but I looked it up.

7 game series, and West averaged 38 / 4.7 / 7.4

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... akers.html
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, I don't think you could have it happen again unless it was a 7 game series.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:35 pm
Lebron was such a machine tonight. Scary good. Must be really depressing for him that he played a game like that and they still lost. What does he have to get, 60 every night for them to win?
No, he just has to take Steph Curry one on one instead of throwing a pass to George Hill for a contested layup.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Re: 2018 NBA Playoffs, Third Round (Conf. Finals)

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:29 pm
Hated the charging call reversal as well.
Yeah, it sucks when they get the call right.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:05 am
Everybody is destroying JR Smith for that last play. But how about George Hill for blowing the free throw that probably would have won Cleveland the game?

I also see people mad about a reviewed call to change a charge by Durant into a block by Lebron. I have a pretty strong bias toward "The Warriors." ...

Fixed that for you.

Rules are rules. So you're glad that Amare and Diaw got suspended? That was the right call? You want Kevin Love suspended now?

The rules allow refs to review various calls in the last two minutes, with a fairly loose definition that let them review this particular call. Their initial call was wrong. They changed it to the right call. I just don't see how you can be so upset that a correct call was made. "You can't review that!" rings hollow to me. The call-review system is especially comprehensive toward calls made in the last two minutes of a game, since those plays can disproportionately affect the outcome of the game. This is exactly the sort of situation where review is helpful. And they turned an incorrect call into a correct call. If you want to be mad about that, go ahead.

I may be rooting for the Warriors, but I'm not blindly anti-Cavs. I was awed by Lebron's Game 1 performance, one of the best playoff individual performances I have ever seen. And I don't want Kevin Love to be suspended; it would be silly to do so. I also think it's wrong to pile on JR for one mistake. The outcome of that game came down to several plays and other factors. His lack of a shot didn't single-handedly lose them the game. They could have made Hill's FT, or they could have won in OT, or a number of other things could have gone the other way. JR overall is giving them good minutes, and hanging him out to dry doesn't help them in the rest of the series.