Around the League: Week 5 11/12-11/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
jonh

Re: Around the League: Week 5 11/12-11/18

Post by jonh »

From an article on Anthony 4 years ago:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... reputation
In the meeting room, Anthony's branding experts begin to offer their versions of an answer. Anthony recently started a tech investment firm -- "my big push for greatness in the future," he calls it -- and now he is obsessing over how to grow his influence. He wants to brand himself as the "tech pioneer athlete," he says. He wants to be known in 20 years not only as "the basketball player but also as the innovator, the business tycoon." He wants to invest in startups and multiply his bank account by 100, because maybe billions can solidify a reputation in ways that millions can't.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I wonder if there's a way to facilitate some sort of three-way deal with the Rockets where we can give them back Ariza, Melo can move on, and we can get a starting caliber PG out of it? It's too bad they don't really have anyone on their roster that I think we would want, because I bet they would jump on the chance to get Ariza back.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:13 am
I wonder if there's a way to facilitate some sort of three-way deal with the Rockets where we can give them back Ariza, Melo can move on, and we can get a starting caliber PG out of it? It's too bad they don't really have anyone on their roster that I think we would want, because I bet they would jump on the chance to get Ariza back.
I think the only way that they get Ariza back is if they give up someone like Eric Gordon, but Phoenix would be taking on another year of salary(even though Gordon is a good player and valuable off the bench) and Houston doesn't want to give up anything significant to get him back. Best case scenario for them is that Phoenix buys him out and he resigns with Houston. I'm sure that Morey is working behind the scenes to orchestrate this sort of thing.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Well, they do have a PG who was almost an All-Star in the East... :twisted:

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:31 am
wpmiller42 wrote:
I think the only way that they get Ariza back is if they give up someone like Eric Gordon, but Phoenix would be taking on another year of salary(even though Gordon is a good player and valuable off the bench) and Houston doesn't want to give up anything significant to get him back. Best case scenario for them is that Phoenix buys him out and he resigns with Houston. I'm sure that Morey is working behind the scenes to orchestrate this sort of thing.
Yeah, I like Gordon, but I think we really need a young guard to grow with our core. Would the Bucks want someone like Anthony? Some sort of three-way that gets us Brogdon? Or Anthony might actually work on the Sixers if they want to go all in on this year. We get back McConnell, Rockets get Ariza, and 76ers get Anthony? Just thinking out loud, not really sure how to get the numbers to work out.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Cap wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:40 am
wpmiller42 wrote:
Let's figure out a way to get back Chriss too while we're at it!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:31 am
wpmiller42 wrote:
What's his cap hit for matching purposes? Do the Rockets need to take back the 25 million he is getting paid by Atlanta, or just the 3ish million the Rockets are paying him? It's just the 3, right?

Asking for a friend.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

No way the Bucks give up Brogdon to take on Carmelo. They are playing great and they have seen firsthand that Melo is a toxic asset. I really doubt that we would be able to be part of some Melo deal where we actually acquired value back.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

wpmiller42 wrote:
They definitely would love to have him back. Getting him in FA hurt Houston WAY more than we benefited (obviously).
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote:
What's up with him? Hasn't played a minute, right? I saw Chriss get a little garbage time last night.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I thought he had another surgery, or was going to have one.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:16 pm
wpmiller42 wrote:
They definitely would love to have him back. Getting him in FA hurt Houston WAY more than we benefited (obviously).
Really? I haven't heard anything about them missing him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:21 pm
Superbone wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote:
Really. The TNT panel talked about it just last night.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:26 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:21 pm
Superbone wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote:
Really. The TNT panel talked about it just last night.
Yeah, I have heard other people say they are not winning, so they must have needed him. Just haven't heard/seen anything that indicates it to be true.

I mean, the guy played over 34 mpg in the playoffs, and shot like Josh Jackson from 3 (28%) while not making up for it anywhere else in his game. He had more TOs and Fouls than he did AST+BLK+STLs and couldn't even get 4 boards a game.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:18 pm
Cap wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote:
What's up with him? Hasn't played a minute, right? I saw Chriss get a little garbage time last night.
Had some surgery, but his return is supposed to be “imminent.”

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2018/11/1 ... o-a-return

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I watched the 76ers game tonight and McConnell couldn’t even get off the bench. Free TJ!

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Also, Fultz does this weird thing on his FTs where he passes the ball back and forth between his hands as the shots goes up. I guess so he doesn’t have time to think about his shot when he releases it. I’ve never seen anything like it.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Fultz is broken. It's sad.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really hope we don't trade Josh Jackson for Fultz. Jackson at least has some of the bones of a good NBA player. I could picture him becoming good in a few years, or at least becoming valuable enough to trade to another team. Fultz, no way. He'll be out of the league in a year and a half, guaranteed.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:11 am
I really hope we don't trade Josh Jackson for Fultz. Jackson at least has some of the bones of a good NBA player. I could picture him becoming good in a few years, or at least becoming valuable enough to trade to another team. Fultz, no way. He'll be out of the league in a year and a half, guaranteed.
If it's anyone, I think it would be Ariza that goes to Philly for Fultz.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass