Game Day: Suns (21-11) @ Timberwolves (7-27), Sun 2/28/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Game Day: Suns (21-11) @ Timberwolves (7-27), Sun 2/28/21

Post by Shabazz »

I remember liking them less, but they were pretty good in the Suns game. They’ve got good chemistry.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:14 pm
Minnesota's got a great announcing crew. I like the ones from MIL and CHI as well.
Yeah, my brother mentioned that to me and I went back and listened to a lot of it and I'm glad I did. Any crew that can mention both Benny Hill and reference Larry David from Curb Your Enthusiasm is good in my book. The funny thing was I knew exactly where the Benny Hill reference must have been and I was right. It was during the first half when Moore turned it over, got it back, then threw an awkward alley oop to Cam Johnson.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well JJ is on board with KAT

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:13 pm

Well JJ is on board with KAT
Ooh. Ayton just had a couple good games in a row. Make it happen!

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

We joke, but I have serious doubts that KAT would elevate this team to a bonafide contender status. The roster would need big moves following that to add defense (but there would be little to no flexibility to do it), and the cost of adding KAT would be huge, say Ayton, Cam, Smith, filler and the now customary control over 3-5 picks, maybe even more (like Dario or Crowder going to a third team; in any case, Bridges sdhould be untouchable).

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:53 am
We joke, but I have serious doubts that KAT would elevate this team to a bonafide contender status. The roster would need big moves following that to add defense (but there would be little to no flexibility to do it), and the cost of adding KAT would be huge, say Ayton, Cam, Smith, filler and the now customary control over 3-5 picks, maybe even more (like Dario or Crowder going to a third team; in any case, Bridges sdhould be untouchable).
It depends if he asks out or not. If he pulls an AD, then they don't have much leverage. I don't think there will be 3-5 picks involved.

But I agree that just having him in place of, let's say Ayton/Cam/Smith/filler/1-2 picks, doesn't make us a lot better than we are. Part of that is because KAT hasn't been himself this year (rightfully so).
Last edited by Indy on Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:39 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:53 am
It depends if he asks out or not. If he pulls an AD, then they don't have much leverage. I don't think there will be 3-5 picks involved.

But I agree that just having him in place of, let's say Ayton/Cam/Smith/filler/1-2 picks, makes us a lot better than we are. Part of that is because KAT hasn't been himself this year (rightfully so).
Maybe missing a "doesn't" from that statement?

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

KATs defense is awful, and he’s a little bit of the AAU personality that I hate as well (aka SOFT just like DA). But he’s far more offensively talented at least. Not sure he’s worth the extra money, and he wouldn’t be my first choice to spend the farm on. If you’re asking if I would be upset if we traded DA+filler for KAT that’s an easy NO

I’d prefer to keep Cam and MB. I would forfeit more picks instead.

DA, Crowder, Jevon and 3 first round picks (2 unprotected, 1 pick swap)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yes bone. my bad.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:56 am
KATs defense is awful, and he’s a little bit of the AAU personality that I hate as well (aka SOFT just like DA). But he’s far more offensively talented at least. Not sure he’s worth the extra money, and he wouldn’t be my first choice to spend the farm on. If you’re asking if I would be upset if we traded DA+filler for KAT that’s an easy NO

I’d prefer to keep Cam and MB. I would forfeit more picks instead.

DA, Crowder, Jevon and 3 first round picks (2 unprotected, 1 pick swap)
You would trade DA, Crowder, and 3 first rounders for KAT? That sounds steep to me. I get that we'd be good and therefore our picks might be late in the 1st round. But that's a lot to give up.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Yes. I don’t care about first rounders if it means acquiring a star.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

We'd have to remove the protections on the pick we owe the Thunder, and get them to agree to that, in order to trade any draft picks within the next few years, since that pick has various protections for the next few years and theoretically might not transfer until as late as 2025. You can't make deals that might involve conveying draft picks in consecutive years under the Stepien Rule.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

You guys, this is a fan board. If you are going to make up trades, please make up ones that go in our favor. Thank you.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:22 am
You guys, this is a fan board. If you are going to make up trades, please make up ones that go in our favor. Thank you.
I think this tells us more about the bar the last 10 years have set for us than anything.

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

Booker/Bridges are really the only thing off limits in a KAT deal IMO. Cam is nice, but I'm not letting him stop acquiring a modern big who can score from every level. A KAT/Booker or CP3 PnR is unstoppable.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Oatmeal wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:29 am
Booker/Bridges are really the only thing off limits in a KAT deal IMO. Cam is nice, but I'm not letting him stop acquiring a modern big who can score from every level. A KAT/Booker or CP3 PnR is unstoppable.
I'm pretty sure any pick and roll defended by Book and KAT is also unstoppable.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:01 am
Oatmeal wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:29 am
I'm pretty sure any pick and roll defended by Book and KAT is also unstoppable.
Yeah. That would be really tough.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm surprised that KAT is so clearly favored over our current roster. I would worry a lot about Towns's defense, or lack thereof. If he's our center, aren't we just going to get killed on defense every night? How would we make up for that? Our PFs like Crowder, Cam, Saric are pretty decent defenders, but more on the perimeter, not inside.

I watched us play the Wolves the other night and noticed that Ayton could pretty much get any shot he wanted against Towns. This is the same Ayton who is often too timid to go up strong against most of the league's centers. If he can clown KAT like that, won't every team with a good center just kill us?

I also worry that we'd be trading several low-salary assets like Ayton, Cam, and picks for a high-salary one. We might not be able to keep the team together if we had to pay Towns plus all the other guys. Suddenly it isn't Ayton vs Towns, but (Ayton, Cam, picks, and whomever else leaves, such as Crowder, Saric, our bench guards, whatever) vs Towns. That looks less appealing.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:01 am
I'm surprised that KAT is so clearly favored over our current roster. I would worry a lot about Towns's defense, or lack thereof. If he's our center, aren't we just going to get killed on defense every night? How would we make up for that? Our PFs like Crowder, Cam, Saric are pretty decent defenders, but more on the perimeter, not inside.

I watched us play the Wolves the other night and noticed that Ayton could pretty much get any shot he wanted against Towns. This is the same Ayton who is often too timid to go up strong against most of the league's centers. If he can clown KAT like that, won't every team with a good center just kill us?

I also worry that we'd be trading several low-salary assets like Ayton, Cam, and picks for a high-salary one. We might not be able to keep the team together if we had to pay Towns plus all the other guys. Suddenly it isn't Ayton vs Towns, but (Ayton, Cam, picks, and whomever else leaves, such as Crowder, Saric, our bench guards, whatever) vs Towns. That looks less appealing.
Exactly. I believe that folks around here are dramatically underestimating how important Ayton is to the team -- despite his on-and-off offense. The Suns are winning because of defense. If you want to go back to the D'Antoni years, feel free to trade Ayton for KAT.

That being said, if there's a way to get KAT without trading CP3, Booker, DA, or Bridges -- imagine if you had KAT playing PF alongside DA. Pipe dream? Perhaps. But what a killer lineup CP3 + Booker + Bridges + KAT + DA would be. But I wouldn't rely on KAT to anchor a defense.

Edit: Crowder + Saric + Jalen Smith would be enough to match salaries. Although I'd hate to lose Saric. This would only work if the Suns attached draft assets + if KAT forces his way out of Minnesota, of course.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:01 am

That's because in the end KAT is a major talent (and Ayton is not living up to the expectations). Personally, as I said, I have doubts that I'd pull the trigger, but I can't fault those who think 'let's add the offensive superstar and figure out the rest later', especially if it doesn't cost any premium asset beyond Ayton.