Game Day: Knicks (25-37) @ Suns (50-12), Fri 3/4/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Game Day: Knicks (25-37) @ Suns (50-12), Fri 3/4/22

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:22 pm
TOO wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:46 am
Incredible win, great resilience. Shamet has been crap, never liked the acquisition, hoping he Cam Paynes his way into our hearts. Ayton, sigh, he's a goner in the off-season, no doubt in my mind, you don't need big money invested at the 5, you need wings and guards.
It's obvious now that it's others like Chris Paul who elevate Ayton's game. He's not a superstar max player like Donic and Young. He just isn't. He's a complementary player that needs to be pushed. Do you just automatically max a guy like that just because he went first in the draft and has elevated skills for his size?
A smart basketball guy will not max him based on draft position, i feel like Jones is a smart basketball guy, so we will see. Having said that, he's also the same guy who passed on a Haliburton for Stix who got moved for a back up wing, soooo...

I just really think Ayton is gone if its strictly a basketball decision, but IDK if it will be. The guys seem to love him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:37 pm
Superbone wrote:
TOO wrote:
Incredible win, great resilience. Shamet has been crap, never liked the acquisition, hoping he Cam Paynes his way into our hearts. Ayton, sigh, he's a goner in the off-season, no doubt in my mind, you don't need big money invested at the 5, you need wings and guards.
It's obvious now that it's others like Chris Paul who elevate Ayton's game. He's not a superstar max player like Donic and Young. He just isn't. He's a complementary player that needs to be pushed. Do you just automatically max a guy like that just because he went first in the draft and has elevated skills for his size?
A smart basketball guy will not max him based on draft position, i feel like Jones is a smart basketball guy, so we will see. Having said that, he's also the same guy who passed on a Haliburton for Stix who got moved for a back up wing, soooo...

I just really think Ayton is gone if its strictly a basketball decision, but IDK if it will be. The guys seem to love him.
Is that enough to "pay heem hees money"?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:48 pm
TOO wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:37 pm
Superbone wrote:
TOO wrote:

Is that enough to "pay heem hees money"?
Only if he beats JJ straight up?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Can't say more about CamJ. That's the kind of breakout game we knew he had in him and I'm glad it happened on national TV and against the Knicks. I love rooting against the Knicks, love seeing them lose, and love watching their fans meltdown afterwards. That kind of shooting performance is the kind of home run ability we miss sometimes, even as steady as CP, Book and the rest of the offense can be. Sometimes you just need a guy to go unconscious. His response to the Randle BS was huge and the fact that both he and the rest of the team stepped up afterwards shows how mentally strong we are.

Payne's been great too. 17 and 16 last night, 24 assists to 6 TOs in the past two games. He attacked his defenders well and, after a rough two plays at the end of the game, made the perfect play to CamJ for the game winning 3. Outstanding execution with 7 seconds left going full speed in a crowd in transition. Hoping he can stay steady for us the rest of the way and the wrist holds up.

Last night DA was bad DA. No juice, standing around and watching and totally negated by MitchRob. And my big fear in DA adding some perimeter game was that he'd become too reliant on it, and that seemed to be the case last night. Rather than attack or try to go thru Mitch, he settled for jumpers and that floater/push shot. He misses CP and Book more than anyone else, but that's still no excuse for not putting a body on guys for rebounds. And yea, if he can't impose his will when he's not being fed the ball for dunks, it's hard to justify a max deal.

Shamet is a case study in wasted movements. Dribbles thru the legs 6 times, goes nowhere, and passes it back out with the shotclock winding down. He knocked down a few shots, but got 2 shots blocked at the rim and just isn't much of a threat.

I liked Monty going with Biyombo over McGee. Biyombo was much more effective in the paint and going with Biyombo showed Monty was willing to adjust his rotation for a more effective player. I don't think it'll be a fulltime switch, but it should always be on the table and we're very, very lucky to have that option.

Craig had no juice last night. He looked like he was running in sand uphill. I always felt he was playing over his head last season and his 3pt shooting was a bit of a mirage. I still like his size and athleticism as a 3/4/5, but he's a lot less effective his he's not playing with that energy.

Not thrilled about the defense, overall. Burks, Fournier and IQ had their moments shooting the ball and the dribble drives led to the offensive rebounds when the help had to come so that needs to be tightened up for sure goin forward.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:57 pm
Last night DA was bad DA. No juice, standing around and watching and totally negated by MitchRob. And my big fear in DA adding some perimeter game was that he'd become too reliant on it, and that seemed to be the case last night. Rather than attack or try to go thru Mitch, he settled for jumpers and that floater/push shot. He misses CP and Book more than anyone else, but that's still no excuse for not putting a body on guys for rebounds. And yea, if he can't impose his will when he's not being fed the ball for dunks, it's hard to justify a max deal.
The saddest part for me was it seemed like he was trying to take it at Robinson early but as soon as he was rebuffed a couple times, it was jump shots from there on out. The guy is just missing the aggressive gene and is sometimes mentally soft.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am not so hard on ayton. He has up and down games like everyone else does. This wasn’t his finest moment. He has been super effective on the p&r and lobs this season compared to last year thanks to mostly cp3 and ayton developing a chemistry(code word for cp3 kicks ass). With cp3 and payne out they still tried to get him the ball on p@r’s and it ended up in turnovers because the timing is off between ayton and our leftover guards so, he went to shooting mid range and had a lot of success. Having payne back now has helped a bunch but, last night ayton wasn’t happening for whatever reason. For whatever reason Cam J was happening last night.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Coby White has never had a night like that.

"Be Legendary."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:30 am
Still love his interview when Cam got drafted.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Finally made it on here but obviously I was giddy the other night 😊💪🏾😊
What made it really enjoyable for me is that it was clear he was angry the whole 2nd half. Not sure what Cam could have said to trigger Randle cause we know he wasn't cursing him but he definitely had issues with Randle

So to then channel that anger for someone who's super chill into a performance like that was definitely my favourite part. Movie type stuff lol
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Cam P was driving me crazy, he had played so well but definitely was making badd plays/decisions late. Either way though, he has referenced his convos with CP3 during his time injured about slowing down, when to attack, when to set up the others and overall he's been very good facilitating in these starts.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

On the other side of things
The Debate......
Sigh

Some of those 1v1 box out in the first half are a badd look
Some of the others is an issue we had for a while now when he rotates to challenge shots.
That might very well be on my Avatar Bros and others to also be better on defensive rebounding

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Again
Cam has his issues with Randle dropping his shoulder into him so two days later and I still can't be happier with the response ✌🏾👍🏾

That's some BS for real but anyways

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

I remember the hate here when he was drafted.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yes it was a very confusing pick…still think we could have traded back and still got him. I’m not complaining now though, we obviously made the right pick.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Looking back at those clips, the refs really let the Knicks get away with offensive fouls on those lowered shoulders from Randle and Burks. But if they would've tightened up on calling those as fouls, then Randle probably doesn't get ejected, Cam doesn't go Hulk-mode and we end up losing.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Bucktastic365 wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:29 am
In retrospect, that trade of the #6 pick (Culver) for Cam Johnson and Dario Saric is an absolute fleecing. What a great trade by James Jones.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Bucktastic365 wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:29 am
After the Bender/Chriss debacle and the misfirings on Len and Josh Jackson, I think fans were justifiably leery of Suns' draft day moves.

Jones, though, has proven to be a better judge of talent than his predecessors ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well he did draft Jalen Smith…of course Jalen has some talent…just not at the 4 like we drafted him to be.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsRIt wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:33 am
Superbone wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:30 am
Still love his interview when Cam got drafted.
Yeah, but even he, his own teammate, didn't know how good Cam Johnson was going to be in the NBA.

"Be Legendary."