Suns News: October

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Suns News: October

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:It will be interesting to see what the impact of not having Channing Frye will be. Grantland was prolific on his impact being of great consequence for this team. The eyeball test doesn't seem to corroborate that but we'll see.
I think it actually does. Dragic and Frye had a visible connection in the pick and pop. You could see how comfortable they were playing that two man game, and this season it has had a huge impact on how Goran would drive to the basket. Again, I am eager to see what's Dragic % at the rim compared to last season.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Dragic sure will suffer without injured Channing Frye on the bench for us in street clothes.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Yeah, poor Channing having to endure the first ever triple microfracture surgery on both knees.

RIP Frye.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

INFORMER wrote:
ShelC wrote: I think his defense was overrated.
He's had some good defensive performances against Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, and a few others. But he's had just as many games where he got absolutely abused.
More on the latter.....

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think he was necessarily a bad defender. But people pining about his post defense are maybe having lover's remorse. He was solid and knew what he was doing, but that only went so far.

And I can't yet buy into the rationale that because the cap is going up, 7-8mil a year players are now suddenly worth 12. Maybe it'll just take some getting used to, but that's a dangerous game for owners/GMs to start getting back into.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

If you have to build a roster within a 63mill cap and then it goes up to 88mill, there will be an obvious inflation on the contracts, BUT ONLY because teams can not distribute the aditional money between new players, thanks to the aditional 15 players "human cap" placed by the league. Without it, I think we would see some teams spending most of that fresh cap money on low-cost players to develop, soccer style.

So, if you can only go up to 15, wherever the cap is fixed, money must go to the same 13-15 men roster. Therefore, I totally get the logic on taking advantage of "tomorrow" aditional money, to get better assets today.

But at some point, overpaying is overpaying, no matter how you put it. And a bad contract handed out today, will harmstring your flexibility tomorrow, altough not as bad as in the current semi-flat growing of the cap.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote: And I can't yet buy into the rationale that because the cap is going up, 7-8mil a year players are now suddenly worth 12. Maybe it'll just take some getting used to, but that's a dangerous game for owners/GMs to start getting back into.
Aztec Sunsfan wrote: But at some point, overpaying is overpaying, no matter how you put it. And a bad contract handed out today, will harmstring your flexibility tomorrow, altough not as bad as in the current semi-flat growing of the cap.
Exactly.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
ShelC wrote: And I can't yet buy into the rationale that because the cap is going up, 7-8mil a year players are now suddenly worth 12. Maybe it'll just take some getting used to, but that's a dangerous game for owners/GMs to start getting back into.
Aztec Sunsfan wrote: But at some point, overpaying is overpaying, no matter how you put it. And a bad contract handed out today, will harmstring your flexibility tomorrow, altough not as bad as in the current semi-flat growing of the cap.
Exactly.
The alternative is to not pay the going rate and lose the player to a team that will.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Which really isn't any different than how free agency has always worked. It all just comes to how important is that player, how much do you want to keep him. and how replaceable is he.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:Which really isn't any different than how free agency has always worked. It all just comes to how important is that player, how much do you want to keep him. and how replaceable is he.
Yep.

"Be Legendary."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Exactly.
The alternative is to not pay the going rate and lose the player to a team that will.
Exactly. But still, you must overpay as an exception, not as a rule.

If you have Bledsoe, the Morrii and Frye all lined up for an inflated contract, you have to overpay some of them and cut loose the rest. I'm pretty sure that Marcus is still with us because he was atached to his siamese, I mean twin brother. Under a no-sibling circumstance, we would have extended Markieff, and let Marcus join whatever team he find. Frye was clearly the odd man out, and we walked a fine line with Bledsoe all summer long to minimize the damage. But I'm not thrilled with overpaying 3 out of 4 unproven players. Hope the front office knows better.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Apparently Shabazz's real name is Sean Sullivan. He wrote an excellent article about The Shavlik:
Shavlik Randolph is probably the most overlooked player on the Phoenix Suns roster. On a team that is loaded with top-end talent, quality role players, and promising young rookies, Randolph is one of only a few veteran players who doesn't seem to have a clearly defined role as of yet, or a guaranteed spot in the rotation.
Suns president Lon Babby talked about that connection and a few others after Randolph was signed. "Ryan knew him from Boston, as did Mike Logabardi. And we were careful in the moves we didn't take at the trade deadline. But in his case, he had a relationship with P.J. Tucker; they grew up together in Raleigh...We felt comfortable that he would be welcomed here, and he sure has been"

Babby then went on to describe what he brings to the team. "He's a terrific rebounder. He's a veteran. I think we felt like we needed some veteran presence there. So it was a very positive move, and I think he's going to help us out down the stretch."
I caught up with Shavlik during the Suns media day to ask him about what he's been working on over the off-season, and what he thought his role would be on this year's team.

"I tried to work on my outside shot a little bit more." Randolph continued, "I tried to keep my conditioning up and work on some back to the basket stuff and some outside range shooting."

Shavlik also mentioned that he wasn't satisfied with his overall shape and conditioning last season. "I felt like I wasn't in as good of condition when I came in last year." He continued, "It was circumstantial because I got hurt (while playing) in China."

I did notice he seemed a little leaner than last season, not that he was in bad shape before. But, it did look like and sound like he'd been taking his potential role on the team seriously.

"I was thrilled to death when they brought me back," he said. "This was a place I wanted to be a part of. It was one of the most fun (times) I've had in my eight years in the league. I look forward to trying to build on that this season."
"I know that there are two centers ahead of me that they want to develop, young centers that have the ability to be elite." He continued, "It's the same thing as last year, I just have to stay ready...Whether I play or I don't play, I just have to keep a good veteran presence and a good attitude in the locker room and when my number's called to be ready to go out and do what I do."
http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2014/ ... e-alex-len

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He'll be working in the front office in no time.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /16743261/
Paul Coro wrote:Newcomer Isaiah Thomas had a game-high nine assists to go with 11 points and seven rebounds in 32 minutes. He dazzled with a no-look, over-the shoulder pass and showed the competitive streak that kept him on the winning side in camp scrimmages.

"I could do a lot when given the opportunity," Thomas said. "I can bring a lot to the table. I just want to do whatever it takes to take this team to the next step, which is the playoffs."
Too bad your opportunity will be limited here.
Paul Coro wrote:Goran Dragic (2 for 10 as he works into shape)
Works into shape?! He's played more meaningful basketball more recently than anyone on the roster not named Dragic.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:He'll be working in the front office in no time.
Until then, he might surprise some with what he may contribute if given the chance. If the 3-ball is now in his arsenal and he can rebound like he did earlier in his brief stints around the league, he may become a valuable role player.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Paul Coro wrote:"I've been working," Bledsoe said. "Most of the time, I was working on my conditioning. I was trying to stay in shape because Coach Hornacek stayed on me last year about staying in shape so I can stay in the game longer.

"I can't even count how many times Coach would ask (if I was tired). He told me when I came out of the game that I've got to get in shape. He'd tell me in practice that I got to get in shape. I couldn't hear enough of it."

Bledsoe spent his offseason mostly in his hometown of Birmingham, Ala., where he worked out on his own at recreational center or college gyms. He ended each basketball workout, which focused on more catch-and-shoots, with sprints to add more endurance to his strength and speed.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /16785527/

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Paul Coro wrote:"I've been working," Bledsoe said. "Most of the time, I was working on my conditioning. I was trying to stay in shape because Coach Hornacek stayed on me last year about staying in shape so I can stay in the game longer.

"I can't even count how many times Coach would ask (if I was tired). He told me when I came out of the game that I've got to get in shape. He'd tell me in practice that I got to get in shape. I couldn't hear enough of it."

Bledsoe spent his offseason mostly in his hometown of Birmingham, Ala., where he worked out on his own at recreational center or college gyms. He ended each basketball workout, which focused on more catch-and-shoots, with sprints to add more endurance to his strength and speed.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /16785527/
I like that Hornacek keeps on these guys until there's no question what he wants out of them. I also like how he preys on their competitive nature.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Gerald Green eager to prove himself:
Green's scoring bursts could change that; he became the first player since Michael Jordan to score 30 in four games of 30 minutes or fewer.

"We know he can light it up and we'll have to use him when we're in that situation," Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said.

This is the first time Green has returned to the same team since 2006, when he was coming off a rookie season that started when he was 19. Now, he is the Suns' fourth-oldest player at 28.
I really wish we had left some room for this guy.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone wrote:It will be interesting to see what the impact of not having Channing Frye will be. Grantland was prolific on his impact being of great consequence for this team. The eyeball test doesn't seem to corroborate that but we'll see.
frye and goran were the last teammates of that great 2010 team. i predicted this team will win 5 to 6 games less after frye moved (whether bleds signed with the suns or not)

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

INFORMER wrote:Gerald Green eager to prove himself:
Green's scoring bursts could change that; he became the first player since Michael Jordan to score 30 in four games of 30 minutes or fewer.

"We know he can light it up and we'll have to use him when we're in that situation," Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said.

This is the first time Green has returned to the same team since 2006, when he was coming off a rookie season that started when he was 19. Now, he is the Suns' fourth-oldest player at 28.
I really wish we had left some room for this guy.

Me too, Inf, me too. Love guys like Green.... might be streaky but when on, the show is worth it. In the vein of Q and J Rich, unconscious gunners, they can single handedly win games and get the whole crowd on their feet. You have to guard him - because the last thing you want to do is let him get going.