Game Day: Suns (8-13) @ Bulls (11-6), Mon 12/7/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
djy2j

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-13) @ Bulls (11-6), Mon 12/7/15

Post by djy2j »

Good win. Pretty ugly but that's Suns basketball lately so I won't complain.

Highs: Teletovic, Booker, Knight in the 4th, Kieff not playing much, Len's effort on offense.

Lows: Knight's defense most of the game, Tucker trying to do too much and tripping over himself and falling to the ground consecutive plays, Len's fouls, Warren's shot selection, all passes made by Suns players.

Would have liked to see Goodwin get some time seeming how we looked pretty tired out there most of the game. I'll be upset if we trade him away seeming he got zero chance out there. The few times he was out there he looked good for the most part this year.
Last edited by djy2j on Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

pickle

Post by pickle »

I have been busy with various things and haven't been able to watch a couple of the games. Glad to have been able to catch this one.

I am not all that angry with the close losses. I've probably said this way too many times and am starting to sound like a broken record, so forgive me, but I don't see us as a relevant playoff team and I'd rather have a higher pick and wait a year or two and be poised for a deeper run over an extended period.

On the game itself, the turnover situation is untenable. Bledesoe still consistently gets up in the air without a plan, and other than Warren nobody seems to understand how to cut in order to give him a passing option. Amazing effort though by Bledsoe on some key offensive rebounds late as well as that steal from Teletovic.

Knight's dribble is significantly uncreative for a point guard. Bledsoe is much better in this regard and Rose is much much better even with his diminished athleticism. Knight had multiple small on big switches on offense and could not break his man down off the dribble. His lone advantage right now on offense seems to be speed, which he uses well in most situations to create a shot, but without a head of steam he isn't strong enough to take a bump from a bigger player and still deliver in the paint, which seals off his shooting space a fair bit on those switches. I feel like when he dribbles his shoulders don't help sell his crossover fakes. Rose had a couple of pretty dribble moves that Knight could really learn from.

I'm not sure where to start on the defense with these two... both were disappointing. Bledsoe is stronger, but other than that, they were both duped, rather easily I might add, by the Bulls back court during different plays.

Tucker seems really out of shape. It feels as though his mind wants to be in one place but his body is simply unable to get there in time. It may be his lack of conditioning or age, or a combination thereof, but either way he's a liability on the court, heart or no heart.

Hope Markieff can get moved soon.

Between Leuer and Teletovic, Leuer seems to be smaller but plays bigger than his size, while Teletovic is the opposite. Teletovic had two huge rebounds on the last two possessions of the game and both of them could be called smart rebounds. The defensive one he waited till Gasol battled for the ball and secured it with some strong resolve; the offensive one he had perfect timing, even if he did somewhat bowl over Moore. Leuer is much more nimble on defense and seems to always be in the right place at the right time; he also has a pretty decent face up game with some patience and sophistication, though he doesn't have near the quick release that Teletovic has. If only they could be combined into one super 6th man backup 4/5. Ah well.

Loved what Len did out there. Amazing performance, great confidence, very effective on defense with his arms straight up, though I feel like he needs to rebound through positioning better. He's so much longer that he seems content to rebound using his arms. If he could establish position earlier, then he'd probably gobble up much more boards.

Love Booker's effort on both offense and defense. He seems to be unwilling to be a playmaker, always deferring to either Bledsoe or Knight. He doesn't even seem to want to bring the ball up the court much. His arms are a little short I think, but as a shooter it doesn't matter. He just isn't going to be as disruptive on defense. He does most of it with his legs though and I'm happy with the steals that he picked up. Also as Bone noted, he and Len seem to be developing nice chemistry with their passing games.

pickle

Post by pickle »

One more thing I wanted to add to this. The broadcast that I saw, I can hear Pau Gasol scream anytime there's any contact, and most of the times it's clean contact, but just by screaming he drew a foul call on Len or two that were completely phantom. I can't believe at this level the refs go for that crap. I mean I've seen the type in pick up games, and it's annoying, but to have it happen in the NBA, ugh.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Booker starting to cement his position on the team. Poor Goodwin. He spent years waiting for his turn patiently and now this young rookie Booker has already lead frogged him in the rotation and is getting starters minutes. Sorry Goodwin but, Booker has earned it by his play.
That's because Booker is a great shooter. Goodwin never did develop that part of his game.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

pickle wrote:One more thing I wanted to add to this. The broadcast that I saw, I can hear Pau Gasol scream anytime there's any contact, and most of the times it's clean contact, but just by screaming he drew a foul call on Len or two that were completely phantom. I can't believe at this level the refs go for that crap. I mean I've seen the type in pick up games, and it's annoying, but to have it happen in the NBA, ugh.
Pau's always been a verbal flopper.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I don't remember a Suns rookie being this universally loved by this site from the get go since Cabarkapa.
Seems like all posters have been on board even since summer league. Good to see. I know their have been a few commentators too who have said he'll be a future all-star...
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Sunsfan4life wrote:I don't remember a Suns rookie being this universally loved by this site from the get go since Cabarkapa.
Seems like all posters have been on board even since summer league. Good to see. I know their have been a few commentators too who have said he'll be a future all-star...
Kid's shooting 71% from 3 on a solid # of attempts. Hard not to be excited by that.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

OE32 wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:I don't remember a Suns rookie being this universally loved by this site from the get go since Cabarkapa.
Kid's shooting 71% from 3 on a solid # of attempts. Hard not to be excited by that.
6'6" shooting 53% overall and 71% from the three. Moves well without the ball. Patient shot selection. Very willing and able passer. The offense moves with him on the floor. Possesses decent pg skills.

And he is 18 or just turned 19. Potential Kobe skills with a Magic Johnson smile. Kinda hard not to like.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

JCSunsfan wrote:
OE32 wrote:
6'6" shooting 53% overall and 71% from the three. Seems to not be bothered in the clutch. Moves well without the ball. Patient shot selection. Very willing and able passer. The offense moves with him on the floor. Possesses decent pg skills.

And he is 18 or just turned 19. Potential Kobe skills with a Magic Johnson smile. Kinda hard not to like.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Potential Kobe skills with a Magic Johnson smile. Kinda hard not to like.
Pump the breaks a bit.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Potential Kobe skills with a Magic Johnson smile. Kinda hard not to like.
Pump the breaks a bit.
Right? Even if we want to get overly excited, I see more Curry than Kobe, from an athleticism perspective (and shooting ability). Kobe was a fade away, dunk it in your face kind of player. I doubt we see Booker rise up and slam it over anybody.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Kobe wasn't this good at that age. He was quite terrible until he turned 20-21. My secret wish in life is that the Lakers always did what their stupid fans wanted them to do. They would've traded Kobe, cut Kwane (so no Pau) and traded Bynum in his rookie year.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Seems like all posters have been on board even since summer league.
IIRC, we were pretty much unanimous, even on draft day, that he was the right pick.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Seems like all posters have been on board even since summer league.
IIRC, we were pretty much unanimous, even on draft day, that he was the right pick.
I don't remember too many detractors, if any. Even INF was saying Booker was a likely home-run before the season started.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AmareIsGod wrote:Right? Even if we want to get overly excited, I see more Curry than Kobe, from an athleticism perspective (and shooting ability). Kobe was a fade away, dunk it in your face kind of player. I doubt we see Booker rise up and slam it over anybody.
I agree with you, but when I look at Booker, I see Klay Thompson MUCH more than Curry.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Mori Chu wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:Right? Even if we want to get overly excited, I see more Curry than Kobe, from an athleticism perspective (and shooting ability). Kobe was a fade away, dunk it in your face kind of player. I doubt we see Booker rise up and slam it over anybody.
I agree with you, but when I look at Booker, I see Klay Thompson MUCH more than Curry.
Klay Thompson with a better jump shot...

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Just finished watching on league pass international. What a great come from behind win. Hornacek s revenge, and I'm sure his daughter is a very nice lady too. ;)

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Booker is a special talent. Has everything to be a great great player. Love everything about him so far.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I think Booker has a better off the dribble game then Klay had early in his career and is better finishing at the rim, playing to contact instead of trying to avoid and missing the layup (like so many young players). He doesn't finish explosive at the rim, though he's barely 19 going against guys with established and developed NBA bodies. He's similar to a Michael Redd with post multiple surgery, late career (with the Suns) Grant Hill finishing abilities.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think Booker has a better off the dribble game then Klay had early in his career and is better finishing at the rim, playing to contact instead of trying to avoid and missing the layup (like so many young players). He doesn't finish explosive at the rim, though he's barely 19 going against guys with established and developed NBA bodies. He's similar to a Michael Redd with post multiple surgery, late career (with the Suns) Grant Hill finishing abilities.
All of that after 252 minutes of playing time? The kid has played the equivalent of about 7 games in his career (if you figure 35 mpg). Let's give it time before we anoint him. I love him too, but to quote QT, let's not go sucking eachothers dicks just yet.