Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow. Nurkic taking that deal, in a small market in Portland no less, is amazing. Great job by their front office.

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:14 am
Wow. Nurkic taking that deal, in a small market in Portland no less, is amazing. Great job by their front office.
They needed a win considering all the shitty contracts they have given out over the past 2 years.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1015644135338864641

Like the deal even better now!

carey

Post by carey »

Deescalating? Interesting. I still think it's quite a lot for an unproven talent. I don't hate this for the Magic though. That's definitely tradeable as soon as next year.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

He's more proven than Zach freakin Lavine. That along with Pauls deal are among the worst for me.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

carey wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:38 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:14 am
They needed a win considering all the s*** contracts they have given out over the past 2 years.
What a shit job Denver did though. Nurkić and a first for Plumlee was stupid on its own, and they finished it of with a terrible contract for Plumlee that nobody wants.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

carey wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:57 am
Deescalating? Interesting. I still think it's quite a lot for an unproven talent. I don't hate this for the Magic though. That's definitely tradeable as soon as next year.
Much more tolerable deal.

I like the Nurkic deal too

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This article describes 3 hypothetical trades for Kevin Love:

https://www.fearthesword.com/2018/7/6/1 ... ble-trades

Can't we put together a better package than these mediocre trades for Kevin Love? With Bender not playing well, a veteran PF (a real PF, not Trevor Ariza, who is a SF) who can hit 3s and rebound would be great for this team. Chriss or Bender, TJ, and a future 1st. Let's get it done.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:12 pm

Can't we put together a better package than these mediocre trades for Kevin Love? With Bender not playing well, a veteran PF (a real PF, not Trevor Ariza, who is a SF) who can hit 3s and rebound would be great for this team. Chriss or Bender, TJ, and a future 1st. Let's get it done.
Is he going to guard guys like Giannis, Anthony Davis, Derrick Favors, KAT, Draymond Green, Blake Griffin, Paul Millsap, etc.? :D

Seriously though, I would not mind seeing Love on this team. Mostly because I think he's a good passer and we could use more passing. I'm not sure how much Cleveland would want for him though.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hermen wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:49 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

Is he going to guard guys like Giannis, Anthony Davis, Derrick Favors, KAT, Draymond Green, Blake Griffin, Paul Millsap, etc.? :D
Haha, it's a fair question. Ariza may be undersized, but he at least plays defense.

In fairness though, where those guys would hurt Ariza is on the offensive glass. Love may not be able to defend them very well, but he'd do a much better job keeping them off the glass.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

Give up two or three 1sts and there's no way Cavs reject it. Meanwhile, we still have all of our young talented core.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:33 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

Give up two or three 1sts and there's no way Cavs reject it. Meanwhile, we still have all of our young talented core.
Melo for Love. What a joke. OKC would have to package two or three first-round picks to send out Melo's contract. This article probably get's Love's value about right, but Melo, wow.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't know if a package without JJ gets it done for Love. The Cavs have said they have no plans to move him so it'd have to be an attractive package. Don't know if Chriss/Bender/Warren and picks gets it done.

I don't know that I'd make that deal with JJ, but seeing Bridges light it up is certainly encouraging. I love JJ's athleticism, defensive potential and ballhandling ability, but those might be luxuries for us if he can't be a consistent shooter or cut down on mistakes (which I think is due to playing with lesser talent). And I'm still very intrigued by Reed. We're certainly overloaded at SG/SF and if getting Love, who can post and step out, balances things out, he might be worth it. We've never had great pieces that really fit together. Love could be a step in that direction.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ehh, I'm not trading JJ for Love

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

some other weekend news

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1016117550772465664

I read y'day that the Jerian Grant part of this trade ends the IT speculation and that there was never any real concrete talks between the two parties

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1015781062818099201

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

End of an Era !! :lol: :lol:

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1016004494461566977

underrated move here, you ask Brook to defensive rebound and that probably isn't a winning formula. space the floor for Greek Freak and be another post up option might work out well though

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1016048900753403904

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Brook is a good fit in Milwaukee...with LeBron gone, the East is open for the taking.

Boston and Philly are the favorites to rule the East, but Toronto was the best regular season team last year. I wouldn't count out Indy either, they've had a nice summer so far.

I think Milwaukee is probably a step behind, but if Giannis takes another step forward and Bud gives them a boost, they can be good. They added shooters around Giannis in Brook and Ilyasova, drafted Divencenzo...if bled can give them anything, they will be nice.

Bled/Snell/Middleton/Antetokounmpo/Lopez with
Brogdon/DiVincenzo/Parker/Ilyasova/Maker off the bench.

I'm assuming Parker takes the QO here

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Giannis vs Embiid-Simmons vs DeRozan-Lowry vs Stevens-kids+Kyrie-Hayward.

If Boston gets everything back, they have a ton overall. 76rs are talented (I was not a Saric buyer) and well coached too.

Toronto has been solid and they know how to do the job (in regular season at least); LeBron leaving could have saved their roster. Giannis is the next LeBron in that he is relatively poorly surrounded and the organization is suspect.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

“I get that there are folks who believe that some of the contracts executed post the smoothing rejection were too large,” she wrote. “I vehemently disagree as I am sure do the players that negotiated those contracts. However, if that’s the beef folks have, take it up with the GMs that negotiated them. The argument that we gave teams too much money to play with is preposterous.”
- Michele Roberts, executive director of the NBA.