2023 General Offseason/PostSeason League News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: 2023 General Offseason/PostSeason League News

Post by JeremyG »

I'm just glad they didn't veto the Beal trade. I kept half-expecting them to. :lol:
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Beal legally could do what Lillard is doing

TOO

Post by TOO »

Agent should've kept his mouth shut publicly, Dame would probably be in Miami already.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea Lillard and Goodwin should've kept it all behind closed doors. They screwed up.

3TheHardaway

Post by 3TheHardaway »

Absolutely. This is the exact kind of nonsense KD did not pull. And having JJ being one not to leak to media mouthpieces, there were 2 of the 3 parties involved not trying to let this play out publicly. Marks kept Woj involved, which basically ended up being his way of softening the blow in the days leading up to the trade.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Now it seems like Dame won't even be allowed to go to Miami and it may get vetoed, David Stern would be so proud.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:36 pm
Yeah the no-trade clause sort of allowed him to pick his team, but the trade itself was more lopsided than the other Chris Paul trade that David Stern vetoed.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:26 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:36 pm
Yeah the no-trade clause sort of allowed him to pick his team, but the trade itself was more lopsided than the other Chris Paul trade that David Stern vetoed.
Ya it was…but that vetoed one was unique because the nba was running the pelicans at the time

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't see why the league would veto a Dame -> MIA trade. It's sketchy that his agent was warning other teams off, to be sure. But it doesn't really help anybody to leave him stuck in Portland. He won't play well there, and then Portland won't get any value for Dame as an asset. Then they'll be forced to take a worse trade with some other team where Dame doesn't even want to play. Nobody wins.

If they want to exact a punishment, they should fine the agent like $10,000,000. Or Dame, or both.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:16 am
If they want to exact a punishment, they should fine the agent like $10,000,000. Or Dame, or both.
Good luck getting that past the NBAPA.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

There’s a limit they can fine players and it’s way less than 10 million

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I doubt the league would veto a trade. People are mad because it's Miami but other owners wouldn't be complaining if they were the target team he wanted to go to. Miami's built up the rep of being a top notch org so you can't punish them for players wanting to go there. The league vetoed the CP trade to the Lakers because it was after the lockout and small market teams had complained about stars moving to the big markets, plus the league was at that point running the Hornets as they were looking for potential owners and had taken over operations.

The league can fine a player/agent up to $150K for the public trade demand. In other cases like KD, Harden, Butler, PG I don't think they went public themselves with the trade demands but the demands were leaked to the media - which is kind of splitting hairs I guess. But I'm sure the league wants to keep things in-house as much as possible so players aren't going on podcasts or insta/twitter/X, whatever and just saying "trade me", etc. Bledsoe did that and was fined $10K for his tweet, which was vague but everyone knew what he meant.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:19 am
Bledsoe did that and was fined $10K for his tweet, which was vague but everyone knew what he meant.
That he was desperate to get out of that hair salon? :P

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
I doubt the league would veto a trade. People are mad because it's Miami but other owners wouldn't be complaining if they were the target team he wanted to go to. Miami's built up the rep of being a top notch org so you can't punish them for players wanting to go there.
I don't want to punish anybody for wanting to play any particular place. I do think the league should punish an agent who literally calls up other teams and says, "If you trade for my player, even though he will be under contract, he will dog it and won't play hard for you." That is in violation of the CBA and the player's contract terms.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:10 am
ShelC wrote:
I doubt the league would veto a trade. People are mad because it's Miami but other owners wouldn't be complaining if they were the target team he wanted to go to. Miami's built up the rep of being a top notch org so you can't punish them for players wanting to go there.
I don't want to punish anybody for wanting to play any particular place. I do think the league should punish an agent who literally calls up other teams and says, "If you trade for my player, even though he will be under contract, he will dog it and won't play hard for you." That is in violation of the CBA and the player's contract terms.
Yea that's completely out of line and the league can and maybe should take action against that with a fine if it happens. I don't know if they can even suspend an agent for, say, a year from conducting business with NBA players. I imagine that'd be hard if it's a lone agent with a client of rosters and not someone affiliated with a larger agency like CAA who can cover that business in the interim. But there have also been instances of players refusing to report to a team after a trade because they want to play for a contender. Iguodala sat out when he was traded to Memphis, Austin Rivers (who just made a video speaking out against players refusing to report after a trade) refused to come to Phoenix in the Oubre trade.

The bottom line is...the bottom line. The NBA, for all its posturing and talk, wants its stars playing in May and June. They want engagement, ratings, revenue coming in from the postseason. And as much as fans are bitching now, Lillard dropping 50 in a Heat-Celtics elimination playoff game would have everyone tuning in.

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:50 am
Mori Chu wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Yea that's completely out of line and the league can and maybe should take action against that with a fine if it happens. I don't know if they can even suspend an agent for, say, a year from conducting business with NBA players. I imagine that'd be hard if it's a lone agent with a client of rosters and not someone affiliated with a larger agency like CAA who can cover that business in the interim. But there have also been instances of players refusing to report to a team after a trade because they want to play for a contender. Iguodala sat out when he was traded to Memphis, Austin Rivers (who just made a video speaking out against players refusing to report after a trade) refused to come to Phoenix in the Oubre trade.

The bottom line is...the bottom line. The NBA, for all its posturing and talk, wants its stars playing in May and June. They want engagement, ratings, revenue coming in from the postseason. And as much as fans are bitching now, Lillard dropping 50 in a Heat-Celtics elimination playoff game would have everyone tuning in.
So if a player says, “I absolutely cannot play for a Florida team because my son is gay and it’s not safe for him to live in Florida,” that would be sanctionable?

They’re people, not indentured servants, and have the right to refuse to work for anyone for any reason. Threatening to dog it perhaps shouldn’t be allowed, but threatening to hold out should.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think that's a completely different situation dealing with political/civil rights. NBA players are still employees who have signed contracts with rules agreed upon in the CBA.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Cap wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:38 pm
ShelC wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
ShelC wrote:

So if a player says, “I absolutely cannot play for a Florida team because my son is gay and it’s not safe for him to live in Florida,” that would be sanctionable?

They’re people, not indentured servants, and have the right to refuse to work for anyone for any reason. Threatening to dog it perhaps shouldn’t be allowed, but threatening to hold out should.
Seriously? That’s the example you make up? GTFOH

Cap

Post by Cap »

SunsRIt wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:23 pm
Cap wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:38 pm
ShelC wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Seriously? That’s the example you make up? GTFOH
Simply pointing out that holding out suddenly doesn’t seem like such a bad thing when you’re sympathetic to the reasons.

Do we really want a rule that says, “No holding out”?

Or do we want a rule that says, “No holding out… unless you have a good reason… which is a determination we’ll make on a case-by-case basis”?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."