Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Lol, Frye is a pud. Enjoy your time in Orlando ya jackass.
Lol. Pud. I haven't heard that word in a long time.
Haha, wasn't sure many had heard the word.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

It's not our fault the Magic offered him 2-3 million per year more than he's worth. I'm happy for him. But no reason to complain. We're a small market team trying to be competitive.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Obviously Frye really wanted to be here, and isn't real happy about leaving. No reason to be mad at him for that. We may have never had any intention of keeping Frye; for all we know, its not even about the money. For all we know, he would have taken less, and we didn't even *want* it. It may also have to do with the pretty unceremonious ways we have parted with all of our longer lasting players; Frye is the only remaining member from 2010 (Dragic doesn't count, because we DID dump him).... JD, Gortat, Nash, etc. Frye was from the previous era, and comes from that perspective.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Channing and his 3-point chucking can go. Liked him and still do, but he can go.
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Phoenix Suns put Channing Frye back on the NBA map. Not sure why he'd go out swinging. I guess he just felt spurned.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He can day what he wants, but we were not paying him $8m.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Was happy that he got another contract and at that amount. Glad it wasn't with us. I like Frye but was pretty turned off with his comments upon leaving. We paid him the year before without him touching the court and the med staff maybe saved his life. I'm sure some stuff with Sarver went on behind the scenes but he had his best years here and again...they probably saved his life. A little more gratitude would have been nice.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Phoenix219 wrote:Obviously Frye really wanted to be here, and isn't real happy about leaving. No reason to be mad at him for that. We may have never had any intention of keeping Frye; for all we know, its not even about the money. For all we know, he would have taken less, and we didn't even *want* it. It may also have to do with the pretty unceremonious ways we have parted with all of our longer lasting players; Frye is the only remaining member from 2010 (Dragic doesn't count, because we DID dump him).... JD, Gortat, Nash, etc. Frye was from the previous era, and comes from that perspective.

I don't care what kind of "memories" he brought and what he did for us in the past. Mcdonaugh pays people for what they're worth or what he thinks they're worth. Channing, to this team, wasn't worth 8mil per. IMO, I don't think he was worth 6.8 TBH. I think he's a great guy and I'll always remember him fondly and root for him, but I am glad he's off the books when he is about to enter in to the downside of his career IMO. All of those guys you mentioned its pretty obvious we made the right call on.

Nash-Worse the year after he left (we got 2 1sts for him)
Dudley- Worse after he left (Bledsoe was stolen for him)
Gortat- (very solid after he left..this ones up for debate, but He wasn't anywhere near as efficient here his last yr as he was in Washington IMO)I am still not giving him 5/60 he got from Wizzz.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't know if Frye being a holdover from previous eras/regimes played a part. Maybe it did, but I think his asking price played a part just as much. Let's be honest, as good a shooter as he is at 6-11, and as nice as his #s may be, he's a streak shooter and shouldn't be a starter. He's a super sub who's been forced to start. So do we want to pay 8mil for a 1 dimensional sub? Harsh words, but that's essentially what it comes down to. He's not a great rebounder, not a shotblocker, not a great defender.

I'm sure he was looking at a raise from the past season, and we were maybe looking to reset that contract and keep him in the 6-7mil range. No doubt he's hurt because he's from the area and maybe thought we'd pay him as a hometown guy and veteran. But like they say, it's a business. I guarantee his numbers in Orlando will not be what they've been in Phx.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I don't think being a holdover from the previous regime played a big part in his departure. It's just about money. If the Suns wanted him at 5-6M per, that's 8-12M (more after taxes) he'd have to leave on the table. Very few do that, and those who do usually have made much more than Frye over their career.

I don't blame him for taking the money, just wish he had kept his mouth shut on his way to Orlando. The comment about the Suns looking like they were saving money for other players is makes no sense, you just can't get butthurt because the franchise was trying to land a superstar first. That's the business side of basketball and complaining about that when you signed with the Magic is as absurd as if the Suns had bashed him on tweeter for not agreeing to a home discount.

Good luck in Orlando and thanks for your services.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Gambo reporting that the Suns are offering Bledsoe something in the ballpark of 4 yrs / $44 mil.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Xylus wrote:Gambo reporting that the Suns are offering Bledsoe something in the ballpark of 4 yrs / $44 mil.
Thats more than fair for a guy with less than a full season worth of starts and 2 knee injuries.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

That's a fair deal, especially for someone who missed basically half the season.
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

That kind of deal gives us a little flexibility to re-sign Goran when the time comes.

TOO

Post by TOO »

It would also be a very tradeable deal.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If he takes it, that is.

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:Gratitude, where are you?

Frye boy, even if the offer is miles apart, best you can do is to keep your mouth shut, after a full year where the franchise stood up for you. Channing, just take look at Emeka Okafor to see the difference between a side note, and a member of the Suns family.

what do you expect from a St. Mary's alum

Brophy all day! w00t

that said, it's a shame he had to take a job on air, but Gambo and Green were heavily egging him on to do so, it could have been much worse.
~~~~~

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Xylus wrote:Gambo reporting that the Suns are offering Bledsoe something in the ballpark of 4 yrs / $44 mil.
They should make it 15, 9.5, 9.5, 9. That would allow cap flexibility in the future and still give him his money.

carey

Post by carey »

JCSunsfan wrote:
They should make it 15, 9.5, 9.5, 9. That would allow cap flexibility in the future and still give him his money.
Not strictly sure that's legal under the new CBA. I'd have to check. He could get paid out whatever, cause the payment schedule can be manipulated, but as far as $$ against the cap I just don't know.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

carey wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Not strictly sure that's legal under the new CBA. I'd have to check. He could get paid out whatever, cause the payment schedule can be manipulated, but as far as $$ against the cap I just don't know.
should work fine under the CBA, thats what the Suns did w/ Thomas.
~~~~~