Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by Wally_West »

Is Atlanta even looking to trade Horford though?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

It's kind of frustrating that, as exciting as it was, our success this season is probably what's going to cost us our shot at K-Love.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:It's kind of frustrating that, as exciting as it was, our success this season is probably what's going to cost us our shot at K-Love.
You mean because of the lack of a high draft pick?

OTOH, it should make Love want to play here more.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It seems that the ball is in Cleveland's court so to speak. I think they wait until after the Finals and before the draft, find out through back channels if LeBron would be interested in coming back if they trade for Love, then pull the trigger on the trade if that's a possibility. They would also probably get assurances that Love would resign with them. Irving, James, and Love would be a fun trio to watch. Just need a 3 & D at SG, and an athletic defender at the C to compliment Love.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Shabazz wrote:It's kind of frustrating that, as exciting as it was, our success this season is probably what's going to cost us our shot at K-Love.
Funny. I look at it from a different standpoint.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Funny. I look at it from a different standpoint.
How do you mean?

And Supe, I was referring to the lack of a great draft pick. We have a lot of assets, but no true killer asset to offer.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I believe staying a lottery team harms us more to the eyes of these kind of players than not having the high pick. The only sensible way to make the kind of move that would put a player the caliber of Kevin Love is if the gives you his word that he'll stay long term.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I believe staying a lottery team harms us more to the eyes of these kind of players than not having the high pick.
exactly. and that is why not making the playoffs was costly for the suns in more ways than one.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:I believe staying a lottery team harms us more to the eyes of these kind of players than not having the high pick.
exactly. and that is why not making the playoffs was costly for the suns in more ways than one.
Sure, we missed technically but we were right there and were within a couple games of the bottom West playoff teams (and ahead of most in the East). Anybody with half a brain at all will see this and it won't count against us. It is obvious to all that the Suns are a team on the rise. Free agents will want to play here.
"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone wrote:
SDC wrote:
Sure, we missed technically but we were right there and were within a couple games of the bottom West playoff teams (and ahead of most in the East). Anybody with half a brain at all will see this and it won't count against us. It is obvious to all that the Suns are a team on the rise. Free agents will want to play here.
those who voted in these yearend awards counted it against the suns. i know some will dispute this, but how weird is that EOTY award to the spurs GM?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Another possible downside to us having a good season: If the Wolves trade love for a collection of young players and picks, there's a good chance the pick they owe us never conveys as a first rounder. Instead, we'll get two second rounders.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

That pick had 'two second rounders' written all over it since the beginning.

carey

Post by carey »

Ring_Wanted wrote:That pick had 'two second rounders' written all over it since the beginning.
Disagree. If you would have told me a team with Rubio, Love, Martin & the emerging Pekovic couldn't squeak out an 8th seed I'd have called you a dirty liar.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:That pick had 'two second rounders' written all over it since the beginning.
Disagree. If you would have told me a team with Rubio, Love, Martin & the emerging Pekovic couldn't squeak out an 8th seed I'd have called you a dirty liar.
I would have thrown a "damn" in there.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
Well, every time the issue has come up, I've said that the Wolves are not as good as they look on paper to some, and not once I've picked them to make the playoffs.

carey

Post by carey »

Dragic has agreed to play for Slovenia this Summer. That does not make me happy.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

i don't blame him. That is his country and those are his teammates and friends. I would have done the same thing, if I was him.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote:i don't blame him. That is his country and those are his teammates and friends. I would have done the same thing, if I was him.
Would you still do it if your employer that pays you $8 Million dollars a year asked you not to and made those wishes publicly known on numerous occasions thereby stressing the fact they don't want you to play....
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SDC

Post by SDC »

carey wrote:
In2ition wrote:i don't blame him. That is his country and those are his teammates and friends. I would have done the same thing, if I was him.
Would you still do it if your employer that pays you $8 Million dollars a year asked you not to and made those wishes publicly known on numerous occasions thereby stressing the fact they don't want you to play....
maybe if the suns paid him 10-12 mil, he might consider not playing

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

SDC wrote:
carey wrote:
maybe if the suns paid him 10-12 mil, he might consider not playing
As long as they are guaranteed, it doesn't matter if its 5 or 10 or 30. The only way to discourage it would be to make a NBA season ending injury susceptible to void his contract or at least that year's payment. Then you would truly know how much the players really love their country. They could buy their own insurance policies if they wish.
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Mon May 26, 2014 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.