Game Day: Suns (20-58) @ Rockets (38-40), Thurs 4/7/16

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Game Day: Suns (20-58) @ Rockets (38-40), Thurs 4/7/16

Post by carey »

Buddy Hield, here we come.

We move one of Bledsoe or Knight in the offseason. We move on from the PJ Tucker era. We draft Rabb or Chriss with pick 12/13. Maybe we take Hernangomez or even Zimmerman or Stone (his PER is a ridiculous 27.7) with the Cavs pick. I suppose we hang on to Price. He can still play a little he just shouldn't get 30 min a game. Re-sign Tele.

Bledsoe/Price
Booker/Hield/Jenkins
Warren/?
Rabb (Chriss)/Teletovic
Len/Chandler/Stone

It would depend on what we can get for Knight or Bledsoe. There's a chance we could be decent but are likely still another couple years from being anything impressive.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

This was one of the better games I've seen Archie play.

Alan Williams is comically bad. Was it really necessary to sign him just because he's a local kid? What does that even accomplish? His friends and family by 10 more tickets?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:Buddy Hield, here we come.

We move one of Bledsoe or Knight in the offseason. We move on from the PJ Tucker era. We draft Rabb or Chriss with pick 12/13. Maybe we take Hernangomez or even Zimmerman or Stone (his PER is a ridiculous 27.7) with the Cavs pick. I suppose we hang on to Price. He can still play a little he just shouldn't get 30 min a game. Re-sign Tele.

Bledsoe/Price
Booker/Hield/Jenkins
Warren/?
Rabb (Chriss)/Teletovic
Len/Chandler/Stone

It would depend on what we can get for Knight or Bledsoe. There's a chance we could be decent but are likely still another couple years from being anything impressive.
I like most of that, but that team will get another high lotto pick next year. That's probably not a bad thing. We need more young talent.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I'm leaning toward Buddy at 3/4 too. He doesn't make sense for how the roster is currently, but you don't draft because of that. You draft who you think the best player of the draft is at that spot. I think the roster will be overhauled anyway.

I wonder if the Sixers, now run by the Colangeli, may be interested in bolstering the backcourt now by trading for Knight or Bled. We won't get #1 but maybe a high future pick. How funny would it be if we traded Knight to the Sixers getting the Lakers pick back.

One thing is fore sure is Colangelo has said he wants to aquire players this off-season and be more competitive and that's why Hinkie resigned.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Shabazz wrote:This was one of the better games I've seen Archie play.

Alan Williams is comically bad. Was it really necessary to sign him just because he's a local kid? What does that even accomplish? His friends and family by 10 more tickets?
Was Archie auditioning for Houston? I could see him there.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Sunsfan4life wrote:I'm leaning toward Buddy at 3/4 too. He doesn't make sense for how the roster is currently, but you don't draft because of that. You draft who you think the best player of the draft is at that spot. I think the roster will be overhauled anyway.

I wonder if the Sixers, now run by the Colangeli, may be interested in bolstering the backcourt now by trading for Knight or Bled. We won't get #1 but maybe a high future pick. How funny would it be if we traded Knight to the Sixers getting the Lakers pick back.

One thing is fore sure is Colangelo has said he wants to aquire players this off-season and be more competitive and that's why Hinkie resigned.
I like the way McD puts it. We draft the player that we think will have the best NBA career.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I could see philly trading down to 3-4 and taking Hield with all the bigs they already have

OE32

Post by OE32 »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Shabazz wrote:This was one of the better games I've seen Archie play.

Was Archie auditioning for Houston? I could see him there.
I've heard lots of other teams' broadcasters express positive opinions of Archie. I think he has value in this league. Just not sure what we'd want in return.

I'm not sure he isn't better than Brandon. Can really get to the rim, long-armed defender. Not very disciplined. Shot's bad but not atrocious.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think Hinkie resigned because he was having essentially all of his authority and power stripped away from him by the new team president and his newly hired son. I don't think it was because of some particular player transaction or offseason plan or signing or anything like that. He was pushed out because they didn't want him around any more and had already hired his successor right in front of him.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Everything I've seen said ownership liked him and wanted to keep him in some sort of role but were also frustrated by the losing and the hits the organization was taking during "the process". I think they saw value with his analytics but he had a known reputation for being very guarded and not having relationships or networks around the league (which is one of BC's strengths). I think ownership envisioned JC overseeing things, BC being the relationship guy with other execs and agents, and Hinkie being the stats guy. Hinkie wanted no part of it and stepped down.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:Everything I've seen said ownership liked him and wanted to keep him in some sort of role but were also frustrated by the losing and the hits the organization was taking during "the process". I think they saw value with his analytics but he had a known reputation for being very guarded and not having relationships or networks around the league (which is one of BC's strengths). I think ownership envisioned JC overseeing things, BC being the relationship guy with other execs and agents, and Hinkie being the stats guy. Hinkie wanted no part of it and stepped down.
Yep. He was an awful communicator. You can't be the boss and not communicate well.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

ShelC wrote:Everything I've seen said ownership liked him and wanted to keep him in some sort of role but were also frustrated by the losing and the hits the organization was taking during "the process". I think they saw value with his analytics but he had a known reputation for being very guarded and not having relationships or networks around the league (which is one of BC's strengths). I think ownership envisioned JC overseeing things, BC being the relationship guy with other execs and agents, and Hinkie being the stats guy. Hinkie wanted no part of it and stepped down.
Guys. This was the NBA league office at work. The commissioner is not keen on teams purposely putting bad teams on the floor to play unwatchable basketball for three years straight (and more to come apparently) while other owners pay the bill through profit sharing. JC was sent to Philly by the league to clean things up. Its obvious this is what happened. I would be surprised if Hinkie ever gets a job in the NBA again. He made a mockery of competition in the league.

The league office will tolerate tanking if you have injuries and have one bad year. They will not tolerate choosing to be bad year after year just to load up on draft picks. Hinkie made pretense about what he was doing.

His strategy was failing, but it would have been even worse for the league office if it had succeeded. Other teams would follow the same model and the entire league would suffer.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

carey wrote:Buddy Hield, here we come.

Bledsoe/Price
Booker/Hield/Jenkins
Warren/?
Rabb (Chriss)/Teletovic
Len/Chandler/Stone

I could see one of the two going to Philly for picks. They have plenty. One of Okafor, Embiid, or Noel will be available. It will probably be Okafor. He is the type of player JC has shipped out of town quickly--off the court problems, unwilling to even TRY to play defense. He traded Armen Gilliam for Kurt Rambis, which about the same as trading Okafor for PJ Tucker.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

OE32 wrote:I've heard lots of other teams' broadcasters express positive opinions of Archie. I think he has value in this league. Just not sure what we'd want in return.

I'm not sure he isn't better than Brandon. Can really get to the rim, long-armed defender. Not very disciplined. Shot's bad but not atrocious.
Pretty close to atrocious, unfortunately.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

As far as tanking is concerned, Shane Doan of the Coyotes has some good ideas to improve the lottery system and for teams to remain competitive for both hockey and basketball. What do you think?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /82592512/
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Suns beat the playoff bound Rockets at home? And we are pissed?

Sorry but, good for them.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

:roll: :?:

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

JCSunsfan wrote:Guys. This was the NBA league office at work. The commissioner is not keen on teams purposely putting bad teams on the floor to play unwatchable basketball for three years straight (and more to come apparently) while other owners pay the bill through profit sharing. JC was sent to Philly by the league to clean things up. Its obvious this is what happened. I would be surprised if Hinkie ever gets a job in the NBA again. He made a mockery of competition in the league.

The league office will tolerate tanking if you have injuries and have one bad year. They will not tolerate choosing to be bad year after year just to load up on draft picks. Hinkie made pretense about what he was doing.

His strategy was failing, but it would have been even worse for the league office if it had succeeded. Other teams would follow the same model and the entire league would suffer.
Nah, the owners don't really give a shit what the Commissioner wants as far as how they operate. He's their employee.

He's just their public face and the way the Board of Governors carry out their decisions. The other owners were probably pissed about how the 76ers were tanking every year and making the league look bad. They were also a weak draw when they went on the road and along with merchandise sales and the luxury tax payments they received they were costing the rest of the league money.
\
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

BTW, this win hurts not only our own pick odds, but also could impact the WAS pick. With the loss against us, Houston has tied the Wizards 38-41. Could end up being the difference from #3+12 to #4+13.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/johnschuhmann/status/718431754391068672

"Be Legendary."