Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Aztec Sunsfan

Re: Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Regular season games???

No doubt I'll be there. Cardozo is from Puebla, so probably he will also atend.

And welcome Bajanguy, as a member myself of the international fandom around here, I can tell you this board is really tolerant and knowledgeable. I have learned a lot around here.

carey

Post by carey »

Shabazz wrote:Havent's listened yet, but McDonough is on The Vertical Podcast with Woj:

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/art19/t ... t-with-woj
My biggest take away is that Riley fucked us out of LMA.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

How?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Woj believes that LMA was ours the day before he signed with the Spurs. Then Riley showed up and gave LMA a talk about sacrifice and winning and being part of something bigger than yourself. LMA decided to go to the spurs, and actually called McD first to tell him he had a change of heart.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:Another emerges from the shadows. Welcome bajanguy! What happened to the first 7 bajanguys? ;)
:) That's just my play on Agent 007 . I wore #8 at high school and on the junior nat'l team so that's where the username comes from lol
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

O_Gardino wrote:Woj believes that LMA was ours the day before he signed with the Spurs. Then Riley showed up and gave LMA a talk about sacrifice and winning and being part of something bigger than yourself. LMA decided to go to the spurs, and actually called McD first to tell him he had a change of heart.
Didn't know this , interesting.....

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am very happy that happened, in hindsight. Having LMA would have probably meant barely making the playoffs with a horrible roster, and then convincing management that we just needed to add some pieces to that to compete, instead of a real rebuild.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I wonder if that backfired on RIles as well? Maybe he was trying to convince LMA to take less money to play with Wade, Bosh and Dragic and make the sacrifice? Or he'd work a trade with Bosh but still ask LMA to take a backseat? Either way, LMA probably figured he can get his money and sacrifice and win a title in SA.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It was the best move LMA could have made. Really.

carey

Re: RE: Re: Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:I wonder if that backfired on RIles as well? Maybe he was trying to convince LMA to take less money to play with Wade, Bosh and Dragic and make the sacrifice? Or he'd work a trade with Bosh but still ask LMA to take a backseat? Either way, LMA probably figured he can get his money and sacrifice and win a title in SA.
Woj made a comment that he was setting LMA up for down the line. Not necessarily last year.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

As far as LMA and his move to the Spurs , I am seeing the Pau to SA chatter starting up again and I think he's probably gonna go there

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Do they have anyone we want in exchange for Chandler?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Other things I learned from the interview. McDonough is good friends with Bill Parcells and got good advice from him. Also, he was pretty close to getting Brad Stevens to be our new head coach instead of Hornacek. Stevens decided to stay at his college but then changed his mind a couple months later to become the Celtics head coach.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Superbone wrote:Other things I learned from the interview. McDonough is good friends with Bill Parcells and got good advice from him. Also, he was pretty close to getting Brad Stevens to be our new head coach instead of Hornacek. Stevens decided to stay at his college but then changed his mind a couple months later to become the Celtics head coach.
Shame. Having Stevens would have been an absolute game-changer. His ability to get the most out of players would be incredible for a young roster like ours.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/realcowboy79/status/747495495115767808

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I like Woj's tweet bombs and articles (usually), but I can't take him on podcasts. Don't like his voice or his hosting demeanor.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm sure it's nothing, because he's been working with the guys all summer and prior, but where is Len? Is he doing his basketball camp? I would have expected him to be there with the guys in So Cal.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:I'm sure it's nothing, because he's been working with the guys all summer and prior, but where is Len? Is he doing his basketball camp? I would have expected him to be there with the guys in So Cal.
He is hosting a camp but I think it is next week. Maybe some prep work for it.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:

https://twitter.com/realcowboy79/status/747495495115767808

Why aren't they dribbling basketballs and studying playbooks while doing this so-called "spinning???"

Cap

Post by Cap »

Dribbling basketballs on grass probably doesn't help. As for studying play books, from this angle you can't tell that they're not, so just choose to believe they are. ;)