Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
EDC

Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Post by EDC »

https://twitter.com/paulcoro/status/722256052314460161

Phoenix mayor set to call for a new downtown arena for Suns, Coyotes

If only the Suns had a bigger arena then they might sell more tickets. It is definitely the age of the arena that is stopping people from buying tickets. Not the fact that we are awful and yet we still have the 10th highest average ticket price in the league. Bonus points for a plan that helps the Coyotes screw over the last city that built them an arena.

So tired of these owners basically bribing public officials to push for the creation of new stadiums paid for by the tax payers. I wonder how many of the officials that work on the contract with the Suns will end up in the employ of Sarver after they leave public service.

Why use that money for something useful when instead we can subsidize Sarver.

The best part is this will probably pick up steam leading into next off season when we get to listen to the really rich owners and rich players bicker over their percentages during the negotiations of the next CBA.

Indy

Re: Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Post by Indy »

EDC wrote:

https://twitter.com/paulcoro/status/722256052314460161

Phoenix mayor set to call for a new downtown arena for Suns, Coyotes

If only the Suns had a bigger arena then they might sell more tickets. It is definitely the age of the arena that is stopping people from buying tickets. Not the fact that we are awful and yet we still have the 10th highest average ticket price in the league. Bonus points for a plan that helps the Coyotes screw over the last city that built them an arena.

So tired of these owners basically bribing public officials to push for the creation of new stadiums paid for by the tax payers. I wonder how many of the officials that work on the contract with the Suns will end up in the employ of Sarver after they leave public service.

Why use that money for something useful when instead we can subsidize Sarver.

The best part is this will probably pick up steam leading into next off season when we get to listen to the really rich owners and rich players bicker over their percentages during the negotiations of the next CBA.
Yeah, let's use that money for an arena, while we rob our state land trust to under-fund our schools again. So stupid.

And for those of you in AZ, please vote no on Prop 123. Such a fucking scam.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:And for those of you in AZ, please vote no on Prop 123. Such a fucking scam.
Thanks.

Superficially, it is very appealing. "Money for education? Sounds good!" But in the long run, it is the opposite of that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:And for those of you in AZ, please vote no on Prop 123. Such a fucking scam.
Thanks.

Superficially, it is very appealing. "Money for education? Sounds good!" But in the long run, it is the opposite of that.
Exactly. It is giving a $600,000,000 surplus to taxpayers (especially those in the highest brackets making over 350k) and then selling trust land (basically the state's 401k) to pay for schools today, leaving them unfunded after this admin is gone. So dumb and short-sighted.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Bogdanovic taking over against Real Madrid in Euroleague 1/4 round. We have talent here, bring him over as soon as possible. Clutch, playmaking ability, a competitor and versatile.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Bogdanovic taking over against Real Madrid in Euroleague 1/4 round. We have talent here, bring him over as soon as possible. Clutch, playmaking ability, a competitor and versatile.
Real Madrid has 4 former nba players (Fernandez, Rodriquez, Ayon, Nocioni)

[youtube][/youtube]

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

hoping his improved patience and ball handling make Knight very expendable

also McD needs to show improvement next year so he doesn't get canned, so I imagine he will be in a rush to get Bogdan over

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

he is looking like he candle part time pg duties.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

[youtube][/youtube]

Cap

Post by Cap »

Talk about crazy range! Makes me wish we had Majerle back in the fold.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Bogdan has Steph Curry range. Wow.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

JCSunsfan wrote:he is looking like he candle part time pg duties.
Superbone wrote:Bogdan has Steph Curry range.
Correct. And for a change, he has very high bball IQ. That's why it is imperative to get rid of Knight and bring him over. Also improved defender, and 6'11 wingspan at 6'6.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Too bad we already have 3 starting guards. Which is actually perfect because they can all average 32mpg. Which is what you want because that's what winning teams have. Don't want to mess with that.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Via Gerald Bourguet:
Ryan McDonough said the #Suns won’t tear it down and build around youth, nor would they trade all the youngsters for more veteran talent.

Ryan McDonough says PHX is going to continue to try and do both RE: winning now and getting back to the playoffs vs. developing the young guys.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:Via Gerald Bourguet:
Ryan McDonough said the #Suns won’t tear it down and build around youth, nor would they trade all the youngsters for more veteran talent.

Ryan McDonough says PHX is going to continue to try and do both RE: winning now and getting back to the playoffs vs. developing the young guys.
[ Image ]
I hate this front office. You can tell me all you want that he is lying to try and gain some advantage, but when they have been living this the last several years, why would you think they don't mean it. So stupid.

carey

Post by carey »

What frustrates me about this is that it doesn't work and now we have proof that it doesn't work. You could hold up the Houston model for a while and say "look at the Rockets with Harden & Howard and the young pieces around them." Well they peaked in the WCF last year and turned in a miserable season this year barely making the playoffs. It's not necessarily a formula I'm willing to continue to try to copy. So as I've said before, without wholesale changes to the roster and with Watson at the helm we're looking a 35 win team. I wonder when the Vegas win totals will come out.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I don't like how this sounds, but I am not going to flagellate myself unnecessarily. We'll see who remains on the roster by the time the season starts.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

So as I've said before, without wholesale changes to the roster and with Watson at the helm we're looking a 35 win team.
I'm not sure we'd even get up to 35 wins.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

[ Image ]
I think this strategy makes perfect sense. 2017 is the big free agent extravaganza, so we should position ourselves to be competitive this year in order to attract 2017 FAs. We've drafted well and have building blocks, and we'll take another big drink from the league's talent pipeline in this year's draft as well. There is no strategy to take with Bledsoe other than try to win with him - it's not like we can deal him, given his injuries. You can't tank with the roster we have unless injuries occur. What do you want the FO to do? Take bats to its players' legs?

The only real decisions to make are (1) what do you about the starting PF position; (2) what do you about Tyson/Len? (in my mind, we only need one); (3) how do you get rid of Knight, or can you make him ok with coming off the bench?

I'd like to solve problem #3 and #1 simultaneously, but I don't know how realistic that is. With respect to #2, you could run Len/Chandler at times, but not as starters. I think you need Warren or Bledsoe in that lineup, because I don't think Knight/Booker can create enough efficient offense to make up for Len/Chandler's offensive deficiencies.

... One thing I noticed with regard to Len - every game he scored a lot, we were competitive or won, and every one of those games, he was hitting his jumper. He never did really get it going in the post. So. Can he get consistent with that jumper? If he can, he's a different player, and we're a different team. If he can't, he's a rebounder/defender/finisher, and you can't really put him with another space eater on offense. It's one of the big questions we have going forward.

....... I'm sorry, I was talking basketball instead of grousing. Get with the times, OE! Flames and flaming everywhere!

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Mori Chu wrote:
So as I've said before, without wholesale changes to the roster and with Watson at the helm we're looking a 35 win team.
I'm not sure we'd even get up to 35 wins.
I'll take that bet if it's on offer.